Cooperative education program
Cooperative education program
Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Professional Practice
Combine study with relevant industry experience and be supported with a scholarship.
Our new Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Professional Practice offers the opportunity to participate in Macquarie’s cooperative education program (Co-op). This highly competitive course will see you alternate between classroom studies and workplace experience in the form of three vocational placements of three to six months each throughout your degree. You’ll develop professional skills and networks across different workplace settings, and use your practical experiences in the classroom, while also receiving a scholarship for the duration of the course.
Who you are
You must meet all the criteria:
- completing or have completed the HSC (or equivalent)
- studying or have studied HSC Mathematics Extension 2 (or equivalent)
- show a genuine interest and motivation to enter the actuarial profession
- be active in school and/or community activities
- be able to demonstrate exceptional communication, teamwork, problem solving, innovation, service and leadership skills
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, New Zealand citizen or humanitarian visa holder
- be expecting or have achieved a minimum ATAR of 98.5 (or equivalent admissions rank). Students expecting an ATAR of 97 or above are strongly encouraged to apply. No bonus points (except Educational Access Scheme) will be considered for this requirement.
How to apply
Apply at https://eforms.mq.edu.au/Co-op.
You will be asked to answer a set of application questions, submit a one-page résumé and an academic reference. If you are completing your HSC (or equivalent) in 2017, your school will be asked to provide your HSC (or equivalent) trial results.
Applications close at 5:00pm on 29 September 2017.
You must also apply through the University Admissions Centre (UAC) and select Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with the degree of Bachelor of Professional Practice (300230) as one of your preferences to gain admission to the program.
If your application is shortlisted, you will be contacted in the first week of November 2017 to schedule an interview on one of the following three days: 27, 28 or 29 November 2017.
If you are successful at interview, you’ll receive a conditional offer for the Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with Bachelor of Professional Practice Co-op program, pending all final ATAR (or equivalent admission rank) results.
Further questions? Read the FAQ's here.
Macquarie University is recognised as a world leader in actuarial education and boasts the longest-running actuarial degree in Australia.
Macquarie is designated as a Centre of Actuarial Excellence by the US-based Society of Actuaries.
The Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with Bachelor of Professional Practice is accredited by the Actuaries Institute and allows you to complete Part I and one unit of Part II of the Actuaries Institute's professional requirements (subject to your academic performance in the relevant units).