Recognition of Prior Learning
Macquarie University acknowledges that learning can take place outside of the formal education system, and that recognising formal, informal and non-formal learning supports an individual's lifelong learning goals.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is given for prior learning which includes:
- Formal learning: learning that takes place through a structured program of learning that leads to the full or partial achievement of an officially accredited qualification.
- Informal learning: learning gained through work, social, family, hobby or leisure activities and experiences. Unlike formal or non-formal Learning, informal learning is not organised or externally structured in terms of objectives, time or learning support.
- Non-formal learning: learning that takes place through a structured program of learning but does not lead to an officially accredited qualification.
Benefits of RPL:
- Reduced program length
- Reduced cost of study
- Eliminates duplication of learning as you do not need to learn skills and knowledge you already have
- Validates learning gained through work and life experience
- Enables credit transfer between TAFE and other approved higher education institutions
Preliminary enquiries can be directed to:
MUSE Level 2 C7A
Tel: +61 (2) 9850.6410