Rural Bonus Scheme
What is it?
The Rural Bonus Scheme supports you if you’re from rural and regional Australia by offering bonus points to assist with your application. These are added to your ranking that determines an offer for a degree. The scheme supports students who don’t have access to resources and support networks that are available within cities and larger towns.
Who you are
Whether you’re just finishing your HSC, or left school years ago, you’re eligible to receive rural bonus points.
If you have previously completed tertiary study you aren’t eligible for this scheme.
The bonus points are aligned with the Accessibility/Remoteness Index of Australia (ARIA+) and your primary residential postcode. Enter your postcode below to calculate how many bonus points you’re eligible to receive.
Enter your postcode below to calculate how many Rural Bonus points you are eligible to receive.
Developed with the assistance of ARIA+ (Accessibility/Remoteness Index of Australia), the RBS is based on road distances to the perimeter of service centres.
The categories are:
- Inner Regional Australia: Five points (ARIA score greater than 0.20 to <=2.40 - restricted accessibility of goods, services and opportunities for social interaction).
- Outer Regional: Five points (ARIA score greater than 2.40 to <=5.92 - significantly restricted accessibility of goods, services and opportunities for social interaction).
- Remote: Seven points (ARIA score greater than 5.92 to <=10.53 - very restricted accessibility of goods, services and opportunities for social interaction).
- Very Remote: Nine points (ARIA score greater than 10.53 to <=15 - very little accessibility of goods, services and opportunities for social interaction).
Depending on the remoteness of your primary residential home, you'll receive either five, seven or nine bonus points that can be used toward any Macquarie University degree.
How can I apply?
Lodge your application for course admission via Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) and the allocation of rural bonus points is automatically calculated by UAC.
The Rural Bonus Scheme can be combined with all other schemes such as Academic Advantage and the Educational Access Scheme. However, you can only receive a maximum of ten bonus points in total and a maximum of six points in total for the:
- Bachelor of Actuarial Studies (including double degree programs*)
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Science
- Bachelor of Laws (including double degree programs)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) (including double degree programs)
*Rural bonus points are not available for the Bachelor of Actuarial Studies with Bachelor of Professional Practice.
The scheme can be applied to all Macquarie undergraduate degree programs applied for via UAC and there is no minimum academic requirement for eligibility.