Rural Bonus Scheme
What is it?
If you're from rural or regional Australia and don't have access to the same resources as students in cities and larger towns, Macquarie can help you with up to nine bonus points through our Rural Bonus Scheme.
Who you are
- You're currently completing the Year 12 Higher School Certificate (HSC) or equivalent in the year prior to your intended year of admission to Macquarie.
- You're a non-school applicant (HSC or equivalent completed more than two years ago or over 21 years of age) and haven't previously completed tertiary study.
Enter your postcode below to calculate how many Rural Bonus points you are eligible to receive.
Developed with the assistance of ARIA+ (Accessibility/Remoteness Index of Australia) and your primary residential postcode, the Rural Bonus Scheme is based on road distances to the perimeter of service centres.
The categories are:
- Inner Regional Australia: Five points (ARIA score greater than 0.20 to <=2.40 - restricted accessibility of goods, services and opportunities for social interaction).
- Outer Regional: Five points (ARIA score greater than 2.40 to <=5.92 - significantly restricted accessibility of goods, services and opportunities for social interaction).
- Remote: Seven points (ARIA score greater than 5.92 to <=10.53 - very restricted accessibility of goods, services and opportunities for social interaction).
- Very Remote: Nine points (ARIA score greater than 10.53 to <=15 - very little accessibility of goods, services and opportunities for social interaction).
Depending on the remoteness of your primary residential home, you'll receive either five, seven or nine bonus points that can be used toward any Macquarie University degree.
How you apply
Lodge your application for course admission via Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) and the allocation of rural bonus points is automatically calculated by UAC.
Combine your bonus points
You can receive a maximum of 10 bonus points combined across the five schemes, apart from the following degrees for which you can receive a maximum of six bonus points:
- Bachelor of Actuarial Studies and its double degrees
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Science
- Bachelor of Laws and its double degrees
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) and its double degrees.