Refunds and withdrawing
How international students apply for a refund
Please ensure you review the International fee refund policy carefully.
How to apply
- Complete the International request for fee refund form
- Students who organised their Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) through Macquarie University and have not arrived in Australia can organise the refund by lodging this form. Once a student has arrived onshore in Australia, they should contact the OSHC provider directly for a refund.
- If you are withdrawing from your course, complete the Student withdrawal and release application (students who have not commenced their course should contact their Macquarie International Admissions Officer for a copy of the form)
- Remember to attach any requested documents to the Student withdrawal and release application.
- Remember to attach any requested documents to the International request for fee refund form
Refund of commencement fee
Any refund of the commencement fee will depend on when you withdraw from your course. The deduction will depend on the date that Macquarie International receives the Withdrawal from study form:
|Prior to commencement date||20% deduction|
|After arrival in Australia from offshore but prior to the commencement date||20% deduction|
|On or after commencement date but on or before census date||50% deduction|
|After census date of the commencing study period||no refund|
Refund of tuition fees (for continuing students)
Once you have completed the first study period (or the first two terms at the Macquarie University International College),You are expected to pay your fees prior to the start of the study period. You may withdraw from a program at any time, however any refund of tuition fees will depend on the date that Macquarie International receives the Notice of Leaving Education Provider form:
|Before the first day of the relevant study period||Full refund|
|On or after the first day of study period but on or before census date of that study period||20% deduction|
|After census date of the relevant study period||No refund|
Refund of Study Abroad fee
If you withdraw from a Study Abroad program, you must contact your Study Abroad Coordinator prior to withdrawing or applying for a refund.
Payment of refunds
Payment of refunds will usually be made within four weeks of receiving a correct and complete International request for fee refund form and required documentation.
Payment will be made by telegraphic transfer or electronic funds transfer (EFT) and will be made in Australian Dollars (AUD) or its foreign exchange equivalent.
Please note that any delays caused by incomplete forms, or by delays from financial institutions, may extend this process to eight weeks.
International students granted Australian permanent residency
If you are granted Australian permanent residency, you need to inform Macquarie University of this change. All fee adjustments and calculations will be made from the date you notify Macquarie University (not the date that permanent residency is granted).
Withdrawing from units
Student Admin services provide up to date information on how to withdraw from units of study.
Appeals and further information
If you're not satisfied by the decision made on a refund of fees, you can submit a written appeal to Macquarie International.
You should include all previous correspondence with Macquarie International. The appeal will be considered by the Chief Operation Officer and Deputy Vice-Chancellor or their nominee, and you'll be informed of the result of the appeal within 14 days of the receipt of the appeal. All appeals should be sent to:
Chief Operation Officer and Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Macquarie International, Building E3A, Level 1
Macquarie University, NSW, 2109, Australia