Dr Mutsa Gumbie
Dr Mutsa Gumbie
Prior to joining MUCHE, Mutsa was a Research Associate at Curtin University in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and co-ordinator of the Cancer Council (Western Australia) Cancer Epidemiology Network. She has also worked as a research assistant at the WHO Collaborating Centre for Obesity Prevention at Deakin University and the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine at Monash University in Melbourne, a public health research analyst at National Health Services in London, and as an associate consultant for a pharmaceutical consulting company in Dubai.
Her research focuses on topics surrounding non-communicable diseases, health economics, systematic reviews and meta-analysis. She has experience in both quantitative and qualitative research methods. Mutsa obtained her PhD, titled ‘Examining the burden of diabetes and hypertension in Zimbabwe’ at Monash University in Melbourne, which assessed and estimated the costs of complications related to type 2 diabetes and hypertension in Zimbabwe. She completed a Master of Public Health from the University of Melbourne majoring in health economics and economic evaluation.
She has published seven peer-reviewed journal articles, and presented at national and international conferences.
Publications and reports
- Gumbie (nee Mutowo), M.P., Lorgelly, P., Laxy, M., Renzaho, A., Mangwiro, J.C, Owen, A. 2016. The hospitalization costs of diabetes and hypertension complications in a Zimbabwe: estimations and correlations. Journal of Diabetes Research 2016(5) :1-9
- Sahle, B.W., Owen, A.J., Gumbie (nee Mutowo), M.P., Krum, H., Reid, C.M. 2016. Prevalence of heart failure in Australia: a systematic review. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2016, 16:32
- Gumbie (nee Mutowo), M. P., Owen, A. J., Billah, B., Lorgelly, P. K., Gumbie, K. E., Mangwiro, J.C., Renzaho, A.M.N. 2015. Burden attributable to Cardiometabolic Diseases in Zimbabwe: a retrospective cross-sectional study of national mortality data. BMC Public Health, 15, 1213.
- Gumbie (nee Mutowo), M., Gowda U., Mangwiro, J.C., Lorgelly P., Owen, A., Renzaho, A. 2015. Prevalence of diabetes in Zimbabwe: A systematic review with meta-analysis. International Journal of Public Health.
- Gumbie (nee Mutowo), M., Mangwiro, J.C., Lorgelly P., Owen, A.,Renzaho, A. 2015. Hypertension in Zimbabwe: A meta-analysis to quantify its burden and policy implications. World J Meta-Anal 3(1): 54-60.
- Halliday, J., Green, J., Mellor, D.J., Gumbie (nee Mutowo), M., De Courten, M.F., Renzaho, A. 2014. Developing programs for African families, by African families: engaging African migrant families in Melbourne in health promotion interventions. Family & Community Health [P], vol 37, issue 1, pp. 60-73.
- Gowda, U., Gumbie (nee Mutowo). M., Smith, B., Wluka, E.A, Renzaho, A. 2014. Vitamin D Supplication to reduce depression in adults: Meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Nutrition. 2015;31 (3):421-9