Developing a Framework for Measuring & Reporting Occupational Injury & Disease - Macquarie University Centre for the Health Economy
- Institute of Chartered Accountants, Australia
- Safe Work Australia, and
- the Safety Institute of Australia
- Dr Sharron O’Neill
- K. Wolfe (industry partner, SIA)
This project aims to:
- explore the WHS information needs of stakeholders
- identify practical limitations of existing metrics for decision-making
- undertake extensive review of academic and practitioner literature
- consider appropriate WHS lead and lag performance measures and indictors for capturing and benchmarking WHS performance on a National and International scale, and
- draft a guidance document that identifies those indicators relevant to various key user groups.
Presentations and workshops at academic & professional conferences:
- 2014 (forthcoming) - International keynote speaker: NZ Safeguard Conference, May.
- 2014 (forthcoming) - Invited speaker: NZ Business Leaders Forum, May.
- 2013 “The Use, Misuse and Abuse of LTIFR”, Safety Innovations conference, Sydney
- 2013 “WHS Board Reporting” Invited speaker, SIA Eminent Speakers’ Series, Melbourne, November.
- 2012 “Lost in Translation” RMIT Sustainability Conference, Melbourne. April.
- 2011 “The GRI's Sustainability Reporting Guidelines: Promoting Accountability to Stakeholders or Institutionalising Corporate Social P.R.?” Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, Darwin. July.
- 2011 “WHS Reporting Guidelines” Safety Institute of Australia conference, Sydney
- 2010 “Accounting for occupational health and safety”, CPAA Congress: Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart.
Invited industry briefings and conferences with:
- Macquarie Bank,
- Colonial State First,
- Safe Work Australia,
These have occurred throughout 2010 - 2013.
- 2013: ‘Losing faith in lost time injuries’ (Cover Story), Inside Safety, Aspermont Ltd. March, by C. Collins.
- 2012: ‘Lost in time: Why do most accounting reports fail to deliver useful work, health and safety information?’ In The Black Digital, CPA Australia. July 4th. by S. Baldwin.
Other research outputs:
- 2014: Invited judge, Australasian Reporting Awards – Work Health and Safety category.