2016 Risk Day Conference
Luci Ellis, Head of Financial Stability Department, Reserve Bank of Australia
Financial Risk Day 2016 brought together representatives of industry, academia and regulatory bodies for our balanced program.
- Luci Ellis, Head of Financial Stability Department, Reserve Bank of Australia
- Christopher Joye, Director, Smarter Money Investment, Contributing Editor, The Australian Financial Review
- Michael McCarthy, Chief Market Strategist, CMC Capital Markets (Australia)
- Heidi Richards, General Manager, Industry Analysis, Australian Prudential Regulation Authority
- Shuping Shi, Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics, Macquarie University
- Jeffrey Sheen, Professor of Economics, Macquarie University
- Stefan Trueck, Professor of Finance, Macquarie University
Risk Day was held on Friday 18 March at the Ballroom of the Sydney Swissotel.
At a time where financial markets are nerviously waiting for signals to determine their direction, this year’s expert speakers addressed:
- circumstances connected with irrational exuberance in domestic housing and other financial markets
- factors contributing to changes in market behaviour and investment risk
- volatility in global financial markets
- new tools to analyse changes in economic indicators
Speakers explored the implications of financial market swings and periods of sustained growth and decline – and what they mean for all levels of society as well as those directly involved with financial markets.
Risk day brings together a diverse audience of academics, industry practitioners, regulators, the media and those involved with investment, banking and finance, and risk management in financial markets.
Speakers included Centre for Financial Risk directors Professor Jeffrey Sheen and Professor Stefan Trueck, who have completed important research on detecting changes in financial markets.
Risk Day attracts a broad audience. The event is a platform to exchange ideas on emerging research and regulatory issues on important risk-related topics.
Risk Day is the main event held each year by Macquarie University's Centre for Financial Risk to showcase the work being done by researchers in this multi-disciplinary centre while enhancing links with industry and regulatory practitioners.
The theme, Banking, Investment and Property Risk: Booms, Bubbles & Busts, is consistent with the strategic initiative investigating the “Prosperous Economies” research.
Heidi Richards' presentation can be found at:
Luci Ellis's presentation:
Christopher Joye's presentation:
Michael McCarthy's presentation:
mccarthy_michael_ Blow Bubbles.ppt
Jeffrey Sheen's presentation:
Shuping Shi's presentation:
Stefan Trueck's presentation:
Financial Risk Day in the media
Blowing housing bubbles - Michael McCarthy in Switzer