News and events
Recent Research Highlights 2015
Malware and Internet of Things
Research Work on New Feature Distributed Malware Attacks on Internet of Things to be presented at the International Conference on Engineering Complex and Communications Systems, IECCS 2015
- B.Min, V.Varadharajan, Design and Evaluation of Feature Distributed Malware Attacks against the Internet of Things (IoT), Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Complex and Communications Systems, IECCS 2015
New Malware and Secure Systems Research
A New Anti-virus Parasitic Malware that can subvert self-protection of Anti-virus proposed
- B.Min, V.Varadharajan, “A Novel Malware for Subversion of Self-Protection in Anti-Virus", Accepted for Publication in the Journal of Software Practice and Experience, 2015.
- B.Min, V.Varadharajan, “Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a Novel Anti-Virus Parasitic Malware, Accepted for Publication in the ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, SAC 2015
A New Technique that can significantly reduce Malware Attacks in Software Systems Proposed. Significant for developing Large Scale Secure Software
- B.Min, V.Varadharajan, Secure Dynamic Software Loading and Execution using Cross Component Verification, Accepted for Publication in the 45th IEEE/IFIP Annual International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN 2015
Secure Cloud Data Storage
Research Works on a Novel Trust Model for Secure Data Storage in Cloud and Secure Cloud Storage Auditing accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on information Forensics and Security
- L.Zhou, V.Varadharajan, M.Hitchens, “Trust Enhanced Cryptographic Role-based Access Control for Secure Cloud Data Storage”, IEEE Transactions in Information Forensics and Security, July 2015
- J. Yu, K.Ren, C.Wang, V.Varadharajan, “Enabling Cloud Storage Auditing with Key-Exposure Resistance”, IEEE Transactions in Information Forensics and Security, 2015.
- L. Zhou, V.Varadharajan, M.Hitchens, “Generic Constructions for Role-based Encryption”, International Journal of Information Security, Springer, 2015
Research work on Provenance based Access Policy for Search on Encrypted Cloud Data Storage presented at the 18th Information Security Conference ISC 2015, Sept 2015, Norway
- X.Fan, V.Varadharajan, M.Hitchens, “Provenance based Classification Access Policy System based on Encrypted Search for Cloud Data Storage”, Proc of the 18th Information Security Conference ISC 2015, Sept 2015, Norway.
Secure Lightweight Devices and RFID Schemes
New RFID based Authentication Schemes and Lightweight Implementations
- F.Guo, Y.Mu, W.Susilo, H.Hsing, D.Wong and V.Varadharajan, "Optimized Identity- Based Encryption from Bi linear pairing for lightweight devices", IEEE Transactions in Dependable and Secure Computing, May 2015
- N.Li, Y.Mu, W.Susilo, F.Guo, V.Varadharajan, "Vulnerabilites of ECC-based RFID Authentication Scheme", Journal of Security and Communications Networks, 2015
- N.Li, Y.Mu, W Susilo, V.Varadharajan, "Shared RFID Ownership Transfer Protocol" Accepted for Publication in the Journal of Computer Standards and Interfaces, May 2015
- N.Li, Y.Mu, V.Varadharajan "Anonymous Yoking-Group Proofs, Proc 10th ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security, ASIACCS 2015 April 2105
Software Defined Networks Security
New Research Work on Policy based Security Architecture for Software Defined Networks to be presented at 31st ACM Symposium on Applied Computing
- K.Karmakar, V.Varadharajan, U.Tupakula and M.Hitchens, “Policy Based Security Architecture for SDN”, Accepted for Publication in the Proc of the 31st ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, SAC 2016.
- Setting up a Software Defined Networks Testbed at ACSRC as part of ARC Large Scale Infrastructure (LIEF) Project with several Universities (UNSW, UTS, RMIT, Swinburne and Adelaide) and CSIRO.
Techniques for Botnet Detection in Software Defined Networks Proposed
- U.Wijayasinge, U.Tupakula, V.Varadharajan, “Botnet Detection using Software Defined Networking”, Proceedings of 22nd International Conference on Telecommunications, ICT 2015 the International ICT 2015, April 2015.
- U.Wijayasinge, U.Tupakula, V.Varadharajan, “ An Enhanced Model for Network Flow Based Botnet Detection”, Proceedings of the 38th Australian Computer Science Conference (ACSC), Feb 2015
Secure Cloud Services and Infrastructures
A Practical Hypervisor based Security Architecture for Securing Web Applications wins the Best Paper Award
- D.Jayarathna, U.Tupakula, V.Varadharajan, “Hypervisor based Security Architecture to protect web applications”, Proceedings of the Australian Information Security Conference, (Conference Best Paper Award) (AISC 2015), Feb 2015.
Security for BigData presented at Infocomm 2015 Big Data Security
- U.Tupakula, V.Varadharajan, “Security Techniques for Big Data Environments”, BigSecurity 2015, included as part of the IEEE INFOCOMM 2015 Proceedings, April 2015.
Secure Biometric Recognition and Authentication Schemes
New Schemes for Finger Vein based Recognition Proposed
- S.Damavandinejadmonfared, V.Varadharajan, “A New Improved Scheme for Finger Vein Recognition Analysis”, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Symposium on Safe Computing, UbiSafe 2015.
- S.Damavandinejadmonfared, V.Varadharajan, “A new extension of Kernel Principal Component Analysis for Finger Vein Authentication”, Proceedings of the 38th Australian Computer Science Conference, (ACSC 2015), Feb 2015
Secure Cognitive Networks
Research Work Improving the Detection of Attacks in Cognitive Radio Networks developed
- F. Jin, V.Varadharajan, U.Tupakula, “Improved Detection of Primary User Emulation Attacks in Cognitive Radio Networks”, Proc of the International Telecommunications Networks and Applications Conference, ITNAC 2015.
Recent Invited Appointments
- Professor Varadharajan appointed to the Prime Ministerial Cyber Security Task Force (CSTF) India in May 2015. CSTF created upon the recommendation of the Prime Minister of India by NASSCOM (the peak body for Indian Technology Sector).
- Professor Varadharajan invited to be a member of the Expert Working Group, National Science, Technology and Research (NSTRC) Committee, Office of Chief Scientist Australia (2015). We developed the strategic research priorities and specific challenges in the area of Cyber Security which have now been adopted by the ARC as national strategic research priorities for Australia.
- Professor Varadharajan appointed as Visiting Professor - Mercator Fellow by DFG German Research Foundation – 2016-2017, with Technical University of Darmstadt.
- Professor Varadharajan is a member of the Australian Academy of Science’s National Committee Member for Information and Communication Sciences (2014-2016)
- Professor Varadharajan has been a Senior International Visiting Professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences 2014-2015
- Professor Varadharajan has been a member of the NSW Government ICT Industry Advisory Panel (NSW Govt Cabinet Appointment) in 2015
- Professor Varadharajan has been Oxford Martin Associate, Oxford Martin School, University of Oxford in 2015
New and Continuing Research Projects in 2015
- Prof Varadharajan conceived the idea of Cyber Security Institute at MQ University, originally with Prof Natalie Klein (Law School). Worked with the Faculty of Business and Faculty of Arts to establish a multi Faculty Cyber Security Hub, which was presented to the University Executive in Nov 2015.
- ARC Discovery Project, Cloud Security: Techniques for Securing Cloud Data and Services – Vijay Varadharajan
- European Union 7th Framework, “Authentication and Authorization for Entrusted Unions”, 2014-2015 - Vijay Varadharajan, Michael Hitchens, Uday Tupakaula and Chun Ruan, and several European Partners
- ARC Linkage Infrastructure Project (LIEF) on Software Defined Networks Testbed with UNSW, CSIRO, Google, RMIT, UTS, Swinburne and Adelaide Universities
- Macquarie Research Development Project on “Synergizing the Power of the Cloud with the Power of the Crowd” with Dr Young Lee
- Australia’s Data Retention Bill - Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security Inquiry into the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Amendment (Data Retention) Bill 2014. Joint submission with Dr John Selby and Dr Yvette Blount (Faculty of Business and Economics)
Some Recent Invited Speeches
- Prof Varadharajan - Invited Speech on “Technology Scenery and Cyber Security Trends” at the Building Cyber Resilience Conference, Sydney, Aug 2015, http://www.criterionconferences.com/event/cybersafetyaus/
- Prof Varadharajan - Keynote Speech on The 10th Annual Cyber Security Summit, NASSCOM-DSCI, New Delhi, Dec 2015, https://www.dsci.in/events/about/2261
- Prof Varadharajan - Invited Talks as Senior International Visiting Professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, July 2015
- Prof Varadharajan - Invited Speech on “Security Landscape and Cloud Services Security”, NSW Government Digital Information Security Practice Meeting, Mar 2015
Recent Research Highlights 2014
New Research Works on Malware Analysis presented at ESORICS 2014 and Securecomm 2014
- B. Min, V. Varadharajan, "Feature-Distributed Malware Attack: Risk and Defence", Proceedings of European Symposium on Research in Computer Security, ESORICS 2014, Sept 2014.
- B. Min, V. Varadharajan, "A Simple and Novel Technique for Counteracting Exploit Kits", Proceedings of IEEE Securecomm 2014, Sept 2014.
New Research Work in Secure Cloud Services to appear in the IEEE Transactions in Network and Service Management
- V. Varadharajan, U. Tupakula, “Security as a Service Model for Cloud Environment”, Accepted for the IEEE Trans on Network and Service Management, 2014.
New Research Work in Security in Embedded Systems appears in Eurosys 2014
- P. Koeberl, S. Schulz, A. Sadeghi, V. Varadharajan, “TrustLite: A Security Architecture for Tiny Embedded Devices”, Accepted for the European Conference on Computer Systems, Eurosys 2014.
New Research Work on Secure Wireless Mobile Networks in The Journal of Concurrency and Computation and IEEE Transactions in Computers
- U. Tupakula, V. Varadharajan, “Securing Wireless Mobile Nodes from Distributed Denial of Service Attacks", Journal of Concurrency and Computation: Practice & Experience, July 2014.
- M. Haghighi, Y. Xiang, V. Varadharajan, B. Quinn, “A Stochastic Time-domain Model for Burst Data Aggregation in IEEE 802.15.4 Wireless Sensor Networks” Accepted for The IEEE Transactions on Computers, Jan 2014
New Research Work on Secure Cloud Storage in the Journal of Computer and Systems Sciences
- L. Zhou, V. Varadharajan,M. Hitchens, “Secure Administration of Cryptographic Role-based Access Control for Large-Scale Cloud Storage Systems”, Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 80 (2014), pp. 1518-1533 DOI information: 10.1016/j.jcss.2014.04.019
Research Works on Novel Finger Vein based Recognition appears in IPCV 2014 International Conference
- S. Damavandinejadmonfared, V. Varadharajan, “Finger Vein Recognition in Row and Column Directions Using Two Dimensional Kernel Principal Component Analysis”, Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition, IPCV’14, July 2014, USA
- S. Damavandinejadmonfared, V. Varadharajan, “Effective Kernel Mapping for One-Dimensional Principal Component Analysis in Finger Vein Recognition, Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision & Pattern Recognition, IPCV’14, July 2014, USA
Recent Invited Appointments 2014
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan has been appointed as a Senior International Visiting Professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences 2014
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan has been appointed to the NSW Government ICT Industry Advisory Panel (Ministerial Appt, NSW Govt) in 2014
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan has been appointed to the Australian Academy of Science’s National Committee Member for Information and Communication Sciences (2014-2016)
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan has been appointed as an Oxford Martin Associate, Oxford Martin School, University of Oxford
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan has been appointed as a Senior Visiting Fellow, Australian Academy of Science (2012-2014)
New Research Projects in 2014
- European Union 7th Framework, “Authentication and Authorization for Entrusted Unions”, (Euro 2.9 Million), 2014-2016 - Vijay Varadharajan, Michael Hitchens, Uday Tupakaula and Chun Ruan, and several European Partners
- ARC Discovery, Cloud Security: Techniques for Securing Cloud Data and Services, (A$480k), 2014-2016 – Vijay Varadharajan
- Dr Yuecel Karabulut, Senior Director, Security Strategy and Alliances, SAP Labs USA, has been appointed Adjunct Professor, with the INSS Group, Department of Computing Macquarie University.
- On behalf of Macquarie University, Prof Vijay Varadharajan organised the Australian Cyber Defence University Challenge for Undergraduate Students in May 2013. This was the second time this event has taken place in Australia, sponsored by Defence and Telstra.
- The Australian Academy of Science has created a new National Committee for Information and Communication Sciences. Professor Varadharajan has been appointed to the prestigious committee for 2014-2016.
- Professor Varadharajan has been nominated to the UK Government Global Centre for Cyber Security by the Dept of Prime Minister and Cabinet Office.
- Professor Varadharajan has been nominated and appointed as a Visiting Professor at the prestigious Chinese Academy of Sciences for 2014. Up to a maximum of 15 people are appointed on a worldwide basis each year.
- Professor Varadharajan has been selected as 2013 EUREKA AWARD FINALIST (and Runner up) for the Eureka Prize on Outstanding Science in Safeguarding Australia.
- Professor Varadharajan's Senior Visiting Fellowship of the Australian Academy of Science with the Indian Institute of Science, the premier research institution in India, has been extended until 2014.
- Professor Varadharajan' s successful ARC Discovery Grant on Cloud Security (this is my 10th DP, since coming to Australia in 1996).
- Successful European Union Grant (2013-2016), EU 7th Framework for Professor Varadharajan, A/Prof Michael Hitchens, Dr Uday Tupakula and Dr Chun Ruan -- on Authentication and Authorisation for Entrusted Unions -- with partners such as IBM Labs Zurich, NEC Labs UK and Philips Research, Netherlands.
- Professor Varadharajan continues to be a Member of Australian Government Peak Security Advisory Group ITSEAG to the Minister and Dept of Broadband, Communications and Digital Economy and the Dept of Attorney General (since 2007). This is the peak IT Security Advisory Group providing strategic advice to various Australian Government agencies.
- Member of SAP Corporation Business and Technology Advisory Board (USA) (since 2011) chaired by the Executive Vice President. Other members include CEOs and Senior Professors from prestigious US Universities.
- Member of SAP Corporation International Security Advisory Board (USA, Germany) (since 2010) under the CTO and Senior Vice President. Other members include Senior Professors from Universities in the US and Europe CTOs from international companies.
- Member of Microsoft Advisory Board on Trusted Computing since 2002. The members of this Board were originally announced when Bill Gates created Trustworthy Computing Initiative in 2002. This Board is under the Vice President of Trustworthy Computing and Innovation Strategy at Microsoft USA. Other members include Senior Professors from US and Europe.
- Professor Varadharajan completed his 3 year term as a member of Australian Research Council (ARC) College of Experts for Engineering, Mathematics and Informatics Panel in December 2013.
- Keynote Speaker at the 12th Computing and Communications, IEEE TRUSTCOM-2013, JULY 2013.
- Keynote Speaker at the 38th IEEE Conference on Local Area Networks LCN 2013, Oct 2103.
- Several important publications from ACSRC in 2013/14 appear in a number of journals and conferences such as:
- IEEE Transactions in Information Forensics and Security,
- IEEETransactions in Computers,
- Journal of Software: Practice and Experience,
- International Journal of Network and Computer Applications,
- Journal of Distributed and Parallel Databases,
- TheComputer Journal,
- Journal of Computer and System Sciences,
- IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering,
- ICDE 2014, International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks,
- Securecomm 2013,
- ACM Symposium on Applied Computing ACM,
- SAC 2013 and 2014.
- New ARC Linkage Grant with Deakin University and Trend Micro Systems, "Developing an active defence system to identify malicious domains and websites" 2012-2015.
- Prof Vijay Varadharajan was involved in the following International Conferences and Forums in 2012:
- Keynote Speaker at the Cloud Computing Forum, 21-22 Feb 2012, Australia
- Keynote Speaker at the 14th Asia-Pacific Web International Conference (APWeb 2012), 11-13 April 2012, China (unable to attend due to ill health).
- Invited Speaker at the FutureGov New Zealand Forum, Wellington, 24 May 2012 and FutureGov Forum Victoria, 19 June 2012.
- Keynote Speaker at the Annual Cyber Security Summit, 31 May - 1 June 2012, Australia.
- Invited Speaker at the Internet Governance Forum Australia, 11-12 Oct 2012.
- Keynote Speaker at the Research and Higher Degree Symposium Bathurst, 26-27 Nov 2012.
- Keynote Speaker at the Australian Cybercrime Summit 2012.
- Keynote Speaker at the 4th International Symposium on Cyberspace Safety and Security (CSS 2012), 12-13 Dec 2012.
- Invited Talk at the Dept. of Prime Minister and Cabinet Office on Cyber Security, Nov 2012.
- Invited Talk on Security Technology Trends at SAP Waldorf, Germany, Oct 2012.
- Prof Vijay Varadharajan was Program Chair/General Chair of the following Conferences and Editor of Special Issues:
- General Co-Chair of the 10th International Conference on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing DASC 2012, 17-19 Dec 2012, China.
- Co-Editor of Special Issue -- Security, Privacy and Forensics in Peer-to-Peer Systems for the Journal of Peer-to-Peer Networks and Applications, Springer, 2012.
- Co-Editor of Special Issue on Security and Privacy - Silver Linings in the Cloud, Journal of Computers and Security, Elsevier 2012.
- Appointed as the Technical Program Co-Chair of the 9th International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks, SECURECOMM 2013 (ERA A Conference) by IEEE Communications Society.
- Appointed as the General Co-Chair of the 5th International Symposium on Cyberspace Safety and Security (CSS 2013) to be held in China, November 13-15, 2013.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the ASIACCS (ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security). 8th ASIACCS 2013 is to be held in China and 9th ASIACCS 2014 is to be held in Japan.
- Member of the International Advisory Steering Committee, International Conference on Network and System Security. NSS 2013 to be held at Madrid in June 2013.
- On behalf of Macquarie University, Prof Vijay Varadharajan organised the Australian Cyber Defence University Challenge for Undergraduate Students in April 2012. This was the first time this event has taken place in Australia, sponsored by Defence and Telstra. Our MQ team came 4th out of 21 teams that participated. Given that we do not teach any security course at undergraduate level at all, this was an excellent achievement by the students. We intend to promote this further in 2013.
- Prof. Vijay Varadharajan was appointed to the following:
- A member of the Australian Research Council (ARC) College of Experts for Engineering, Mathematics and Informatics Panel 2011-2013.
- A member of SAP Corporation Research Advisory Board (Germany) in August 2011, chaired by the Executive Vice President. Other members include CEOs and CTOs of other organizations, Vice Chancellor of University as well as 2 other Senior Professors from Europe.
- A member of SAP Corporation Security Advisory Board (USA, Germany) in January 2011, under the CTO and Senior Vice Presient. Other members include Senior Professors from Universities such as Stanford, Berkeley and ETH Zurich and CTOs from international companies.
- Co-founder of an informal CTO Group including HP, Citrix and Microsoft, with regular meetings once every 3 months discussing ICT issues and strategies impacting the world scene.
- New joint ARC Discovery Grant with University of Wollongong, "Achieving Security and Privacy in RFID with Lightweight Security Technologies" was awarded to A/Professor Yi Mu, Professor Willy Susilo and Professor Vijay Varadharajan.
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan made a submission on Cyber White Paper to Dept of Prime Minister and Cabinet (PM&C) on behalf of Macquarie University, Australian Computer Society and ITSEAG. And he is also a member of the ACS Taskforce on Cyber Security in 2011.
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan was appointed as distinguished Visiting Professor at Anna University, India.
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan gave the following Keynote Speeches at International Conferences in 2011:
- 9th International Conference on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing, DASC 2011, December 2011.
- 4th International Conference on Security of Information and Networks SIN 2011, November 2011.
- 9th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing EUC 2011, October 2011.
- Information Security Conference on "Security Issues in Cloud Computiing and Virtualization", Canberra, February 2011.
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan was involved in the following visited talks and panels:
- Invited Speech at the Dept. of Prime Minister and Cabinet Office on Cyber Security, May 2011.
- Invited Presentation on Security Technology and Trend at SAP Walldorf, Germany, May 2011.
- Invited Presentation on Secure Virtualization Systems at Microsoft Research Redmond, USA, Aug 2011.
- Invited Talk on Secure Virtualization Systems, Dept of Defence, Sept 2011
- Invited Talk on Security and Trust at Optus, Sept 2011.
- Panel Session, International Conference Web Information System Engineering WISE 2011 on Privacy and Social Networking, Oct 2011
- Invited Presentation on Security and Trust at A*Star, Singapore, Dec 2011.
- Invited talk on Secure and Trustworthy Systems at Anna University, India, Dec 2011.
- Panel Session, International Conference on Grid Computing CGC 2011 on Security, Social Media and Cloud Computing, Dec 2011 .
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan was General Co-Chair of the 9th International Conference on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing DASC 2011, December 2011, Sydney, Australia.
- Professor Vijay Varadharajan was involved in the following reviews:
- Invited Member of Advisory Group and External Review Committee, Victoria University and USQ.
- Invited External Advisor and Reviewer of Programs in Engineering and Information Technology at the Faculty of Engineering, University Technology, Malaysia (UTM) in 2011. As part of this, Prof. Vijay conduct a detailed evaluation of their courses in Systems Engineering, Computer Engineering and Communication Systems Engineering. He also provided strategic advice on their postgraduate courses and research priorities. These inputs were provided to Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic and senior management at the Faculty.
- NSW State Board of Studies Curriculum in IT, 2011, Professor Vijay Varadharajan was a member of New South Wales State Board of Studies in the HSC Examination Committee in Software Design and Development (since 2005).
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan was part of a program on Sky News - Technology Behind Business on 28/11/2010 as part of their online programs.
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan spoke at Tonkin's Public Sector Information Security event - 27th - 29th October, 2010, Mantra on Northbourne, Canberra, on the following topic:
Security Issues in Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- Security Challenges and Risks of Cloud computing
- Role of Virtualization in the Cloud
- Security Strategies and techniques to consider
- Application Scenarios
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan gave a talk on ISP Level Filtering at the IEEE Event on 30th September, 2010 at Baker & McKenzie, Sydney:
- ISP-Level Internet 'filtering': the path to Deep Packet Inspection? - Prof Vijay Varadharajan (Macquarie) and Alana Maurushat (UNSW), Presentation/discussion on the intersection between technologies for Internet content censorship, or 'filtering', and Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) is under-explored in Australia. By contrast in Canada, US and Europe DPI is more contentious than filtering. These technologies examine the content of Internet packets (header or payload) by an intermediary node other than the end point. Debate about content restriction technologies is wide, from freedom of speech and censorship, net neutrality and service quality, protection of systems from malware, potential as evidence for litigation, and protection of young people. Sponsored by UNSW.
Prof Vijay Varadharajan gave a Keynote Speech on Reflections on Research at the Annual Macquarie Computing Doctoral Conference 10 June 2010.
Prof Vijay Varadharajan was the Program Co-Chair of the IFIP International Information Security Conference (SEC 2010): Security & Privacy - Silver Linings in the Cloud, World Computer Conference, 20-23 September, 2010, Brisbane, Australia, more information.
Prof Vijay Varadharajan is a member of the Advisory Board at Faculty of Engineering at the University of Malaysia. He gave several invited talks on "Best Practices on Teaching and Learning" and "Research Strategy and Directions in Computing and Engineering" and "Trends in Security Research:".
Aarthi Nagarajan and Vijay Varadharajan presented a paper on "Modelling Dynamic Trust with Property based Attestation in Trusted Platforms"in The 24th Annual IFIP WG 11.3 Working Conference on Data and Applications Security (DBSec 2010), Rome, Italy, 21-23 June, 2010.
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan presented an invited talk at the DSD Cyber Security Conference, 25 March 2010, Canberra.
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan gave an invited talks on "Security" and "Doing Research" at the Centre of Intelligent and Network Systems at CQU in January, 2010.
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan is a member of the Peak IT Security Advisory Group ITSEAG, Department of BDCDE and Attorney General at the Australian Government during 2010.
Prof Vijay Varadharajan has been involved in the following:
- Member of the peak IT Security Advisory Group (ITSEAG) to the Minister and Dept of Broadband, Communications and Digital Economy, Australian Government during 2009. The role of this Group is to provide advice to the Government in terms of strategies and priorities for IT Security.
- Submission on Cyber Crime Enquiry to Australian Government House of Representatives Committee on Communications. Submitted a Report on behalf of Macquarie University. Appeared in front of the Parliamentary Committee in Oct 2009.
- Chair of E-Security Taskforce. In Oct 2009, the Taskforce produced a Report on Technical Observations on Internet Filtering. This Report was submitted to the Minister of Communications and Dept BCDE in Oct 2009. This Report was announced in several media such as Financial Review, Computer World, IT Wire, ARN, CRN and ZDNet.
- International Telecommunications Union (ITU), United Nations
- Meeting with the Secretary General of the International Telecommunications Union, United Nations, United Nations to discuss the Global Cyber Security Agenda, July 2009
- E-Science Institute, Edinburgh University
- Visited E-Science Institute (eSI) Edinburgh University, and spent 4 weeks in May and June 2009, where Prof. Varadharajan was involved in research in Security and Trust in E-Science.
- Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany Collaboration
- Strategic Research Collaboration with Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany on Trusted Sensor Networks and Applications with Professor Sadeghi and his team. As part of this research, a research student Steffen Schultz has just started at INSS@MQ and will be spending up to 2 years with the INSS research group.
- INCO- TRUST EU Project
- Member of the international collaborative team on the EU's 7th Framework INCO TRUST Project in the area of ICT Trust, Security and Dependability. Visit from EU in May 2009 to INSS@MQ.
- Keynote Speeches by Prof Vijay Varadharajan
- Keynote Speech at the ACM International Conference on Security of Information and Networks (SIN 2009), Oct 2009.
- Keynote Speech at the International Conference on Network and System Security (NSS 2009), Oct 2009.
- Program Chair/General Chair of International Conferences
- Program Co-Chair for the ACM AsiaCCS Computer and Communication Security International Conference in Mar 2009 in Australia.
- Program Co-Chair of the IFIP SEC 2010 International Conference.
- General Co-Chair of IEEE International Symposium on UbiSafe Computing (UbiSafe-09), Dec 2009.
ACM Symposium on Information, Computer and Communications Security (ASIACCS 2009)
Hosted by Macquarie University and University of Wollongong, Australia, AsiaCCS 2009 will be held 17 - 19 March 2009, Novotel Rockford Darling Harbour, Sydney, Australia. [For more information...](conferences link)
New task force to examine ISP level content filtering
Prof Vijay Varadharajan is to lead a new Australian Government initiative task force into ISP level content filtering.
Report - Submission for E-Security Review 2008 by Prof Vijay Varadharajan
Over the Horizon Forum
Experts from government, industry and community organisations met in Sydney on 13th June 2008 to discuss emerging e-security challenges and how to prepare for the future. Prof Vijay Varadharajan was one of the members of the forum.
Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy and the Attorney-General, Robert McClelland MP, said discussions at the Over the Horizon forum will inform the Government's future e-security policy deliberations.
Invited Keynote Speaker
Professor Varadharajan was an Invited Keynote Speaker at the 4th International Conference on Information Security Practice and Experience (ISPEC 2008) on 21-23 April 2008.
IT Business Leaders Forum
Professor Varadharajan chaired the IT Business Leaders Forum in Sydney on 7-8 April 2008. The invited speakers included CIO and Senior VP from CPS Energy (USA), CIO from Jetstar (Australia), Head of Infrastructure (Insurance Australia Group), CIO (REA Group) and President and CIO (Linfox Logistics) and Executive Director (Mallesons Stephen Jacques). The event was sponsored by CIO Network, ACS, Search CIO and others.
In March 2008, Professor Varadharajan visited and had research discussions/presented seminars at Infosys SETLab, Bangalore, Microsoft Research India, Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore (IIITB) and Hewlett-Packard Labs India.
PhD Awarded in 2007 -Sarath Indrakanti, Ching Lin and Junqi Zhang
Sarath Indrakanti, Ching Lin and Junqi Zhang have been awarded their PhDs by Macquarie University.
Junqi Zhang graduated in April 2007 and the title of his thesis "Group key management and multicast security".
Ching Lin on 19th September, 2007 and the title of his thesis "Trust enhanced security for mobile agents".
Sarath Indrakanti graduated on 19th September, 2007 and the title of his thesis "On Engineering Authorization Systems for Web Services based Service-Oriented Architecture".
1st Asia-Pacific Summer School on Trusted Infrastructure Technologies 20th - 24th August 2007, Zhuhai, China
The purpose of this event is to bring together world renowned scientists to provide lectures on the latest developments in Trusted Infrastructure such as TCG technologies ( www.trustedcomputinggroup.org ), which are likely to become key standards for next-generation IT infrastructure around the world.
Prof Vijay Varadharajan gave an invited talk on "Trusted Infrastructure Technology".
ARC Discovery Grant Success
Professor Vijay Varadharajan and Professor Chris Mitchell secured an ARC Discovery Grant in the latest round for a project on "Techniques for the Design of Trust Enhanced Secure Distributed Applications". The project will run from January 2007 to December 2009.
Visit to Research Centres in Beijing
Professor Vijay Varadharajan visited Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing and gave a presentation on "Trust Enhanced Security and Peer to Peer Computing" to researchers on 25th October, 2006.
Whilst in Beijing, Prof Varadharajan also visited Hewlett-Packard Labs China, and gave a presentation on "Challenges for Computing and Engineering - Systems Approach and Trust Enhanced Security" on 26th October, 2006.
Microsoft Faculty Summit - Beijing, China 23rd - 24th October, 2006
Professor Vijay Varadharajan attended the Microsoft Faculty Summit in Beijing 23rd - 24th October, 2006. He chaired a high level panel discussion with senior academic leaders from various countries from around the world on the issue of fostering high quality research students in computer science and information technology. The panel members included:
Professor Andrew Chi-Chih Yao, Tsinghua University, China and Turing Award Recipient 2000 Ke Gong, President of Tianjin University, China Myung-Soo Kim, Professor and Chair of Computer Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, Korea Noriko Kando, Professor, Software Research Division, National Institute of Informatics, Japan Pat Hanrahan, CANON USA Professor of Stanford University, USA Wei-Ying Ma, Principal Researcher and Area Research Manager, Microsoft Research Asia
Award for Research in Trustworthy Computing
Professor Vijay Varadharajan was given an Award for his research contributions to the Microsoft Privacy Program in Trustworthy Computing. A commemorative plaque was presented to him on 21st July, 2006 at a Forum in Microsoft, Redmond, by Microsoft Privacy Strategist J. C. Cannon.
PhD Awarded to Udaya Tupakula
Udaya Tupakula graduated on 20th September, 2006, with his PhD thesis entitled "Modeling, design and implementation techniques for counteracting denial of service attacks in networks". It was accepted for the degree of PhD by Macquarie University.
IT Security Summit 2006 - 15th June, 2006
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan was one of many speakers at the one day IT Security Summit 2006, 15th June 2006 at Convention Centre, Darling Harbour, Sydney. His topic was "It's all about Trust".
2006 IEEE 63rd Vehicular Technology Conference 7-8 May (VTC 2006)
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan gave a presentation at one of the Panel Session at the 63rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2006) in Melbourne, 7-8 May 2006.
2GB Radio Interview
Recently Prof. Vijay Varadharajan gave an interview on Sydney radio station 2GB on Identity Theft. He discussed issues of the role and the nature of identities in the digital world and opportunities for stealing and masquerading, and possible countermeasures that could be taken.
Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering
Congratulations to Udaya Tupakula, INSS Research Assistant, who has been chosen as a candidate for inclusion in the 2006-2007 (9th) edition of Who's Who in Science and Engineering, scheduled to be published in September 2006. This is a significant honour, an achievement in itself, that is afforded to very few individuals in the course of a lifetime.
INSS Student receives Macquarie University Student Travel Scholarship
Venkatesan Balakrishnan, who is a PhD student and a member of the INSS Research Group, received a Macquarie University Student International Travel Scholarship. He presented his accepted paper to the 10th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Networks Management and Operations Symposium (NOMS 2006) in Vancouver, Canada, 3-7 April, 2006.
Keynote Speech at the International Conference on Information System Security ICISS 2005
Professor Vijay Varadharajan gave a Keynote Speech at the International Conference on Information System Security ICISS'2005 in Dec. 2005 on "Authorization and Trust Enhanced Security of Distributed Applications"
Invited Fellow at British Telecom Research Labs, UK
Professor Vijay Varadharajan was invited as a Fellow at British Telecom Labs in June/July 2005. He worked with the management teams and various research centres at British Telecom on the possible strategies for research trends in security mobility and networks and their implications for telecommunications and computing industry.
Invited Talks at Microsoft Redmond, USA
Professor Vijay Varadharajan gave invited seminars and talks in July/August 2005 on Web Services Security, Secure Authorization Architecture, Security Policies and their Applications in Healthcare to Research Groups and Developers and Consultants at Microsoft in Redmond USA.
Chairman at Information Security World Australia
Professor Vijay Varadharajan chaired the Information Security World 2005 Event on 7 Sept. 2005 held at the Sydney Convention Centre at Darling Harbour, Sydney, Australia. The event is one of the important annual events in the calendar of Information Security in Australia. It had numerous sponsors including Sun Microsystems, ISC2, ASIS Security Alliance and ISSA. There were several presentations from industry and academia including speakers from Standard Chartered Bank in the UK, Sun Microsystems, Blackberry Research, Qantas and Standards Australia. There were also 2 international panel sessions on Open Source versus Proprietary Software and Security Technology Roadmap. It was a highly successful event.
Professor Vijay Varadharajan's Interview on Research Supervision in Sydney Morning Herald (12 September, 2005) Postgraduate Study Supplement
As part of the Postgraduate Study Supplement in the Sydney Morning Herald, Prof Vijay Varadharajan was interviewed about supervising PhD students. The article explored the idea that supervising PhD students is just like coaching elite athletes. "One of the main stumbling blocks to any project is when the research is not progressing. I believe keeping students motivated is the key to ensuring they are committed for the duration of a project", said Prof. Varadharajan.
Microsoft Research Asia Regional Workshop - May 26-27, 2005
As part of this workshop Prof. Vijay Varadharajan presented a keynote speech on "Trustworthy Computing", as well as hosting a panel session on the future for Research and Curriculum in Trustworthy Computing.
INSS Microsoft Computing Projects
INSS co-ordinated leading-edge, Microsoft-sponsored computer security projects for Macquarie University post-graduate students for Semester 1 2005, including topics such as Pervasive Computing, Mobile Agents and Secure Routing.
Macquarie University/CSIRO Technology Trends Seminar
Prof. Vijay Varadharajan presented to the MQ/CSIRO Technology Trends Seminar on Trusted Computing.