3 - 5 years program
Three to five year old children are rapidly developing a more complex understanding of concepts and are highly motivated to explore and set challenges for themselves, their friends and the teaching team.
We encourage children to:
- Act as initiators, investigators, explorers, problem solvers and creators.
- Ask questions, listen to the ideas of others and to develop their own hypotheses on a range of ideas and concepts.
- Develop a spirit of cooperation and a caring and responsible attitude towards everyone in Mia Mia.
Our program focuses on:
- Fostering self-esteem, emotional wellbeing, communication and respect for others; and
- Developing relationships, self-expression, collaboration and self-help skills.
- We believe these characteristics and behaviours are essential for children in their transition to school and lifelong learning.
Our curriculum focuses on:
- Daily integration of the visual and performing arts, science, mathematics, language and literacy development, communication and problem solving.
- The individual child in the context and experiences of the group, and within family and community, providing them with challenges or reinforcing their existing knowledge.
- Support and guide children in decision-making about indoor and outdoor experiences they wish to explore.
- Work with the children in small groups and on a one to one basis.
- Guide children to represent their ideas through various symbolic means such as drawing, painting, clay work, physical movement, storytelling, writing, socio-dramatic play and discussions.
- Provide children with uninterrupted time on their own, or to engage with friends throughout the day.