Centre for Language Sciences (CLaS)
Pushing the boundaries of language sciences
Research at the Centre for Language Sciences (CLaS) encompasses theoretical, experimental and computational issues in linguistics, psycholinguistics, computational linguistics, lexicography, audiology and speech science. CLaS is a Macquarie University Concentration of Research Excellence and an integral part of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders. The Director of CLaS is Associate Professor Rosalind Thornton.
World-class research facilities
CLaS & Linguistics PhD Students have access to:
- High performance computational cluster
- Whole-head MEG system & Child MEG system
- Child language acquisition laboratory
- Child phonology laboratory
- Speech and hearing clinic
- Speech laboratories (speech movement/kinematics, electropalatography, ultarsound, oral and nasal airflow)
- Sound treated recording studios
- CLaS seminars/ workshops/ conferences in areas relevant to Linguistics, Language Acquisition, Phonology, Computational Linguistics, Hearing and Speech Production Disorders. These seminars/ workshops/ conferences are discussion-oriented meetings on topics relevant to the work of the Centre, with local and overseas authorities presenting papers for discussion and allowing Centre students to interact with authorities in their fields of research.