China Scholarship Council - Macquarie University Joint Postgraduate Scholarship Program (2017)
Macquarie University has an enviable reputation of research excellence and achievement. Our researchers have led or contributed to world-leading research with world-changing impact in a variety of fields. Despite the strength of our current research reputation and historic achievements, Macquarie’s research future depends upon our ability to adapt, modify and focus our research efforts. Macquarie welcome international candidates to join us in undertaking research in various disciplines.
Macquarie University (MQ) in partnership with the China Scholarship Council (CSC) will jointly offer a number of postgraduate research scholarships for 3 years full time PhD research. These scholarships are worth $25,392 pa (CSC scholarship + top up to APA award rate) in living allowance, plus tuition fees. Successful candidates may commence their PhD at Macquarie University from July 2017, subject to confirmation of CSC approval and support.
Macquarie Research Disciplines
Macquarie University is keen to promote joint MQ-CSC scholarship applications for PhDs at MQ in the following disciplines:
- Psychology and Cognitive Science
- Physics and Astronomy
- Macquarie Graduate School of Management
- Medicine and Surgery
- Mathematical Sciences
- Law and Legal Studies
- Languages and Linguistics
- Information and Computing Sciences
- Human Society
- History and Archaeology
- Health Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Creative Arts, Communication and Culture
- Chemical and Biomolecular Science
- Business and Economics
- Build Environment and Design
- Biological Sciences
- Candidates must be citizens and permanent residents of the People's Republic of China at the time of application;
- Candidates must not be currently working or studying abroad (outside China);
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies and/or research;
- Candidates must hold a conditional offer of enrolment subject to the CSC award. They must also fulfil the entry requirements of MQ, including a high level of English language proficiency;
- Candidates must comply with the Australian Government's English proficiency requirements for the issue of a student visa. Candidates should check those requirements with the nearest Australian diplomatic post or the relevant website: http://www.immi.gov.au;
- Candidates should be intending to pursue a postgraduate research degree in one of the priority academic areas identified by CSC or one of MQ identified disciplines. However, applicants to other study/research areas may also be considered;
- Candidate should satisfy the selection criteria set out by CSC, and submit to the CSC the CSC Application Form and the CSC Employer Reference Form, available at http://apply.csc.edu.cn/ by the due date;
- Further program information is available at http://www.csc.edu.cn/
The duration of the CSC scholarship may vary according to the course. PhD enrolment at MQ is three years with a possible extension of up to 12 months. Candidates who do not meet direct entry into the PhD program may need to undertake the Research training pathway program, the Master of Research (MRes). The MRes is a two-year program. If a candidate is required to undertake Year 2 of the MRes program prior to the PhD, the total duration of the combined program will take up to 4 years.
CSC will usually provide a living allowance (up to four years for PhD students and this may include the research training pathway) as prescribed from time to time by the Chinese Government, a return international airfare by the most economical route, and visa application fees. For further details of CSC funding refer to information at: http://apply.csc.edu.cn/.
For successful candidates who meet MQ's entry criteria and who are awarded the CSC stipend, MQ will award a tuition fee scholarship and will provide a top up to the CSC living allowance to the value of the APA award rate for up to 3 years for the PhD. If the candidate is required to undertake Year 2 of the research training pathway program, the Master of Research (MRes), MQ will provide tuition fees to cover Year 2 of the MRes. There will be no top up of the living allowance in Year 2 of the MRes.
If a candidate has a conditional MQ offer of enrolment subject to the CSC award, and the CSC award is not given, the candidate may still enrol at MQ but will be required to pay for all costs, including tuition fee and cost of living.
Application Process and Time Scale (approximately)
- 31 January 2017: Deadline for prospective candidates to apply directly to MQ for admission (for a start in second half year, 2017). Applicants should quote 'CSC Scholarship' on the application form. Applicants will need to complete a candidature/scholarship application form and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office by the closing date. Refer to: http://www.hdr.mq.edu.au/information_about/applications for further application instructions.
- 20 March 2017: Deadline for prospective candidates to submit their CSC application for funding form and CSC employer reference form to CSC. Forms are available online at http://apply.csc.edu.cn. In some cases there may be a deadline for applications
for the Chinese university that is nominating the candidate for the CSC scholarship. Prospective candidates should check with their university if there is an application deadline prior to the CSC application closing date.
MQ will provide CSC with a ranked list of suitable candidates (names and subject areas) to be considered for the scholarship program and a copy of the admissions offer letters for each candidate put forward.
- May 2017: CSC will evaluate applications according to CSC requirements and priorities, and provide MQ with a shortlist of potential scholarship recipients.
CSC will announce the final list of scholarship recipients and send offer letters to successful applicants.
- July 2017: Successful applicants will be expected to enrol and start their PhD study at MQ from July 2017. Candidates who are given a bundle offer with Year 2 of the MRes will be expected to commence their Year 2 MRes program in January 2018.
MQ: For Macquarie enquiries, please contact
The Scholarships Team firstname.lastname@example.org and/or The Commencements Team email@example.com
Higher Degree Research Office
Research Hub Level 3, C5C East
Macquarie University North Ryde NSW 2109 Australia
Tel: 61 2 9850 9781, 9782, 1893, 1894 Fax: 61 2 9850 6198
CSC: For CSC scholarship enquiries, please contact
Division of American and Oceanian Affairs
China Scholarship Council
Level 13 Building A3 No. 9 Chegongzhuang Ave. Beijing 100044PR China
Tel: 8610 6609 3558 Fax: 8610 8839 3945 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.csc.edu.cn/