Faculty of Business and Economics: Applied Finance and Actuarial Studies- Macquarie University Scholarship
Applied Finance and Actuarial Studies
Macquarie University Scholarship
PhDs are offered in corporate finance and governance of Chinese listed firms in the following strategic areas
- Political connections, uncertainty and corruption
- CEO compensation/turnover
- State ownership and family control
- Audit opinions and auditor choice
- Bank loans and Trade credit
- Investment efficiency and Mergers and Acquisitions
The students will be supervised by Professor Gary Tian and his colleagues.
Professor Tian specialises in corporate finance and governance research especially in Chinese capital markets. Over the last five years he has published many articles in leading finance journals including the Journal of Corporate Finance (2011, 2012, 2013, 2015) and Journal of Banking and Finance (2015, 2016). Last year, as one of CIs, he secured the only Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Grant in the field of finance. He won a Best Paper Awards from the Financial Management Association in 2011 and Pacific Basin Finance Journal in 2015 and Emerald Citations of Excellence Award for 2015.
He has eleven doctoral students who have completed their degrees since last six years. Five his former PhD students are now working in Australian universities as continuous-based lecturers.
Essential selection criteria:
- Master by research degree (or equivalent) in an area relevant to corporate finance, governance and auditing;
- Strong quantitative, analytical and writing skills.
- Publication record in the areas of Chinese capital markets.
Professor Gary Tian
+61 413 323 849
This scholarship is available to eligible candidates to undertake either:
- Research Training Pathway (RTP) MRes Year 2 followed by a possible Macquarie University Research Training Program scholarship (MQRTP) for a 3 year PhD. This is referred to as an MRes/PhD ‘bundle offer’. OR
- Direct entry to a 3 year PhD program.
The value and tenure of the scholarship is:
- The MRES Year 2 full-time stipend rate is $26 288 per annum (2016 rate) tax exempt
- The MQRTP full-time stipend rate is $26,288 per annum (in 2016 tax exempt, for up to 3 years (indexed annually)
- For international candidates, the scholarship includes tuition fees.
Applicants will need to complete a HDR Candidature and Scholarship Application Form and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office. The form can be downloaded from the Forms page and further information can be found on the Application page.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity, awards and/or prizes in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines. Refer to the Rating Scholarship Applicants section for more information about these guidelines. Macquarie University will advise the successful applicant of entitlements at the time of scholarship offer.
Please quote the allocation number on your application.