Faculty of Business and Economics: Accounting and Corporate Governance - Optus Macquarie University Cyber Security Hub MRes scholarship
Accounting and Corporate Governance
Optus Macquarie University Cyber Security Hub MRes scholarship
Funding is for one of two projects on cybersecurity.
1. Cybersecurity and Working from Anywhere
This project will examine the security of the most important organizational data and information, in an environmental where employees are increasingly embracing flexible work arrangements or ‘working from anywhere’. The outcome from this study will be a conceptual model that will be able to be used to analyse and mitigate cyber security issues associated with working anywhere. Questions to explore include the issues relating to trends such as bring your own device (BYOD), storing data in the cloud and the internet of things (IoT), as well as how can organisations protect customer data when workers are working from anywhere, using their own devices and storing data in the cloud.
2. Data Breaches from External Attacks or Internal Mistakes: To What Extent Do Australian Stakeholder Responses Differ?
This research project will explore the extent to which regulators), directors, shareholders and customers of Australian firms differ in their responses to data breaches in companies which arise as a result of external attack or internal mistakes (e.g. leaving a laptop at an airport). The project will develop a model to enable firms to more accurately measure and manage their risks resulting from such data breaches.
Other important information
This scholarship is available for both domestic and international students for up to four years (one year for MRes and three years for PhD). The domestic or international student will need to be willing to commence by the beginning of July 2017
Associate Professor Rahat Munir
+61 2 9850 4765
This scholarship is available to eligible candidates for:
- The Research Training Pathway (RTP) MRes (Year 2) program followed by a possible Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship (MQRES) for a PhD (a MRes/PhD ‘bundle offer’), subject to meeting PhD entry criteria of 75% in the MRes (Year 2) program.
Please refer to eligibility information for MRes Entry Criteria at http://www.mq.edu.au/research/phd-and-research-degrees/research-training/mres-general-faqs
The value and tenure of the scholarship is:
- The total stipend rate is $46,693.50 per annum, inclusive of a MQRTP full-time stipend rate of $26,682 per annum (in 2017 tax exempt, for up to 4 years (indexed annually) as well as a $20,011.50 Cyber Hub top up amount.
- The scholarship is comprised of a Tuition Fee Offset and a Living Allowance Stipend (as above).
Applicants will need to complete a HDR Candidature and Scholarship Application Form and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office. The application form and further information can be found on the Application page.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity, awards and/or prizes in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines. Refer to the Rating Scholarship Applicants section for more information about these guidelines.
Macquarie University will advise the successful applicant of entitlements at the time of scholarship offer.
Please quote the allocation number on your application.