Assoc. Prof. Christiana Kohler
Telephone: +61 2 9850 8851
Fax: +61 2 9850 8240
Office: W6A 525
Assoc Prof. E. Christiana Köhler studied Egyptology, Near Eastern and Classical Archaeology at the Universities of Trier and Heidelberg in Germany. She received her PhD in 1993 on the basis of a dissertation on early ceramics from the site of Buto in Egypt. In 1994 she was awarded a postdoctoral scholarship by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) and spent the following 2 years conducting research in Anthropology at the University of Pennsylvania. Her main fields of expertise are Egyptian archaeology and society as well as Pre-and Early Dynastic Egypt. She has been teaching Egyptology at Macquarie University since 1996.
Since 1987 she has been associated with numerous archaeological projects in the Near East and Egypt. In particular, she has conducted archaeological fieldwork in Egypt at the sites of Buto and Abydos and she has been the director of the Helwan Project since 1997.
The Helwan Project has been funded by numerous research grants awarded by Macquarie University as well as by the Australian Research Council (ARC), the Institute for Bio-Archaeology/San Francisco and the Brennan Foundation/Santa Fe. Since 2005 Köhler has been Chief Investigator in a five-year ARC Discovery Projects Grant in association with N. Kanawati and B. Ockinga.
National and International Links
Köhler's research in Egypt has been conducted in association with the Supreme Council of Antiquities in Egypt, the German Institute of Archaeology in Cairo, the Pennsylvania/Yale Expedition to Abydos, the Institut Français d'Archéologie Orientale and the Institute for Bio-Archaeology/San Francisco. She has regularly attended and presented papers at international conferences and has been a member of the Scientific Committee for the International Conference Egypt at its Origins since 2004.
Köhler's Bibliography lists over 40 published and in press articles, book chapters and monographs, including:
- E.C. Köhler, Buto III. Die Keramik von der späten Vorgeschichte bis zum frühen Alten Reich (Schicht III bis VI), (Mainz, 1998)
- E.C. Köhler, The Cairo Museum Collection of Artefacts from Zaki Saad's Excavations at Helwan, (Armidale, 2004)
- E.C. Köhler, Helwan I. Excavations in the Early Dynastic Cemetery. Season 1997/98. With contributions by M. Birrell, I. Casey, T. Hikade, J. Smythe and B. St.Clair, (Heidelberg, 2005)
- E.C. Köhler and J. Jones, Helwan II. The Early Dynastic and Old Kingdom Funerary Relief Slabs, (Heidelberg, in press)
Select Research Articles:
- E.C. Köhler, History or Ideology?: New Reflections on the Narmer Palette and the Nature of Foreign Relations in Predynastic Egypt, in: E.T. Levy and E.C.M. van den Brink (eds.), Egypt and the Levant, (London and New York, 2002), pp. 499-513
- E.C. Köhler, Australian Excavations at Helwan in Egypt, in: T. Murray (ed.) Archaeology from Australia, (Melbourne, 2004), pp. 325-341
- E.C. Köhler, Seven Years of Excavations at Helwan in Egypt, Bulletin of the Australian Centre for Egyptology 15, 2004, pp. 79-88
- E.C. Köhler, On the Origins of Memphis - The New Excavations in the Early Dynastic Necropolis at Helwan, in: S. Hendrickx, R.F. Friedman, K.M. Cialowicz and M. Chlodnicki, (eds.), Egypt at its Origins. Studies in Memory of Barbara Adams, (Leuven, 2004), pp. 295-315
- E.C. Köhler, The Interaction between and the Roles of Upper and Lower Egypt in the Formation of the Egyptian State - Another Review, in: B. Midant-Reynes and Y. Tristant (eds.), Egypt at its Origins 2, (Leuven, in press)
- E.C. Köhler, Theories of State Formation, in: W. Wendrich, (ed.), The Archaeology of Egypt. Blackwell Studies in Global Archaeology, in press