Accessing your information and complaints

Accessing your information and complaints

Informal requests for information

You may write to the University to request access to or correction of your personal and health information held by the University (subject to any applicable laws) by contacting us directly, as detailed below. 

All requests for access must be in writing and sent to the applicable Faculty, Department, Unit or Service where you believe the information is held. For example, if you require access to personal information in relation to your enrolment in a course, you should direct your inquiry to Student Services, or if you require information in relation to a Service you have received from the Campus Wellbeing and Support Services, you should direct your inquiry to Campus Wellbeing and Support Services.

Formal requests for information

You can also make a formal request for access to your personal or health information under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988 (PPIPA) or the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIPA). All formal requests for access should be in writing and sent to either:

Privacy Officer
Macquarie University NSW 2109
Phone: 02 9850 4587


Manager, Records and Archives
Macquarie University NSW 2109

Processing your request for information

You may be required to provide two forms of proof of identify, one of which must contain your signature and photograph, or such other reasonable information required by the University in relation to your request, before the information is released to you.

The University will respond to your request within a reasonable time period and, subject to applicable legal considerations, grant you access to or arrange for the correction of your personal information, in a matter which is reasonable and practicable in the circumstances.


If you have any concerns about how your personal or health information is handled by the University in the first instance you can address your concerns with your faculty advisor or the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students) and Registrar if you are a student or your HR contact manager (for staff).

You may also contact the Privacy Officer of the University at:

Privacy Officer
Macquarie University NSW 2109
Phone: 02 9850 4587

Informal review by the University

If you address your complaint to the Privacy Officer, it must be in writing so that there is a formal record of your grievance. The University will endeavour to solve your complaint informally with you in the first instance and provide you with a written response of its findings and any action taken to remedy your grievance.

Formal Internal Review process

If you wish to apply for a formal review of your privacy grievance, you may do so in accordance with the provisions of Part 5 of PPIPA.  Part 5 of PPIPA applies for a grievance concerning personal and health information (under HRIPA).

Your complaint must relate to one of the following:

  • contravention by the University of an information protection principle or health privacy principle that applies to it;
  • contravention by the University of a privacy code of practice that applies to it; or
  • the disclosure by the University of personal information (or health information) kept in a public register.

How do I make a formal application?

Your application must:

  • be addressed to the University in writing;
  • specify a return address; and
  • be issued to the University within 6 months of the time when the you first became aware of the offending conduct.

Progressing your application

The University must inform the Privacy Commissioner of the application and keep the Privacy Commissioner informed as to the progress and findings of the University.

The University will appoint a person who is suitably qualified (such as the privacy officer) to conduct a review of the application as soon as reasonably practicable.  If the review is not completed within 60 days, you are entitled to make an application to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Within 14 days after the completion of the review, the University must notify you in writing of the:

  • findings of the review (and the reasons);
  • the action proposed to be taken; and
  • your right to have those findings and the University's proposed action, reviewed by the Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Appeal process

If you are dissatisfied with the findings of the review or the action taken by the University, you may apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal for a review of the conduct of the University.

Please contact the Privacy Officer of the University if you require more information.


Back to the top of this page