The Macquarie Non-award program offered by the Centre for Open Education is an upfront tuition fees program that allows students to study individual units (subjects) without the restriction of a degree. If you are looking to study for general interest, professional purposes, or to gain entry to a degree program through an alternative pathway, then the Macquarie Non-award program is for you!
Download an information sheet here
Why Study Non-award?
Once enrolled, Non-award students are indistinguishable from degree students and become subject to the same rules relating to prerequisite studies, work required and credit points, examinations, grades, non-compliance with unit requirements and discontinuation of studies. For undergraduate students these rules are called the Bachelor Degree Rules and are found in the University Handbook of Undergraduate Studies. Rules 6-12 are the ones you need to be most familiar with. Rules for postgraduate students can be found in the Handbook of Postgraduate Studies.
- Alternative pathway into a Bachelor degree
The Non-award program is suitable for students looking for an alternative pathway into a Bachelor degree program. Students studying via the Non-award pathway have a large selection of units to choose from, with each of the four Faculties offering units to pathway students. Non-award units successfully completed as part of the pathway will be credited towards the student's award course at Macquarie University.
To secure a guaranteed place in a Bachelor degree program, students need to:
- successfully complete 4 units (12 credit points); and
- meet the minimum overall Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements for the degree they wish to articulate into (details here)
- General interest or personal development
The Non-award program offers a large selection of units to study for personal development or interest, with offerings from each Faculty. Contact the Centre for Open Education for a full list of available units.
- Professional purposes
There are many individual units at Macquarie University that can assist in refreshing, upgrading or enhancing your professional skills. You may consider studying Non-award to:
- Complete units before commencing a Graduate Diploma or Masters Degree
- Refresh or learn new IT skills
- Learn about a foreign culture or a new language in preparation for a business conference
- Study introductory marketing, business administration or accounting units to assist in running a business
- Professional accreditation purposes (eg CPA)
- Study current environmental issues
» 2013 Non-award Handbook now available!
» Non-award - Session 2 2013 On-time closing date - Friday 7 June 2013 with $75 application fee.
» Non-award - Will you complete your Non-award 12 credit points in Session 1, 2013 and intend to commence your Bachelor degree in Session 2, 2013? Apply online for articulation - applications close on Friday 7 June 2013. No late applications will be accepted.