2014 Distance Handbook is now available - Download here (PDF)
Distance Education Units
The Centre for Open Education (COE) assists students undertaking external units or courses, such as the various undergraduate degrees by distance education. COE provides advice and guidance and, where possible, liaises with other University staff on the student's behalf.
The responsibilities of COE include:
- processing of applications / offers and enrolments for 1st year external / distance students;
- the organisation and distribution of the various forms of teaching materials (including, for some units, CD) to students;
- the electronic registration, receipt, and return of all distance education assignments;
- assisting with compulsory on-campus sessions and field trips: registration (for some units) and the production of the schedule
Distance education students are encouraged to contact COE to discuss problems related to study, contact with lecturers or any other difficulties which affect students with reduced access to the functions of the University. The best way to get answers to your questions or concerns is to go to www.ask.mq.edu.au
On Campus Sessions
To complete your enrolment forms you will need to list compulsory on campus sessions for each unit. The MQ online handbook will indicate if your on campus session is compulsory.
- If so, find the dates to your compulsory On Campus sessions at https://timetables.mq.edu.au/2014/ ,
- Select your chosen external unit,
- Select Standard Session 1, 2014.
- Click "view timetable"
You will be able to see your on campus session dates in the displayed calendar. Some larger units will give a choice of dates. For these units you may need to register your choice. The link will be available on this page if registration is needed.
DE students who add an internal unit will liable for the student amenities fee
ARE YOU A STUDENT THAT HAS TRANSITIONED FROM THE BEd(ECE)(0-8) into the BEd(ECE)(0-12)?
Please see the extract from the Undergraduate Handbook stating that these students have until 1 January 2014 to qualify for an award without having to complete 1 People and 1 Planet unit. Please also note that any unit that you take as an 'elective' must be an approved KLA to meet accreditation requirements from the NSW Institute of Teachers. Not all People and Planet units are approved as KLA units by the NSW Institute of Teachers. For further information contact email@example.com
» Distance Metropolitan Students - The procedure for attending on-campus examination for your unit has changed. Please check your student email account at http://students.mq.edu.au for an email from Academic Programs notifying you of the change in procedure and also a copy of your draft exam timetable.
» Some of you may have received your new Student ID cards that contain the Travel concession logo.
Please note: students enrolled into external degrees are not eligible for travel concessions, and if caught face fines of up to $550.