Bookmark and Share

What to do if you didn’t get the ATAR you wanted

If you’re unhappy with your ATAR don’t freak out and assume you’ll never get into university. There are many different ways to get into Macquarie University and a large number of our very successful students come to us through non-traditional routes. What’s important is that you end up where you want to be and at Macquarie there’s a whole heap of options to get there.

NOTE: Please see the most recent article “Not the ATAR You Wanted?” for the most up to date Macquarie pathways.

Internal Transfer

If you don’t have the ATAR for your preferred degree you can enrol in a Macquarie degree with a lower ATAR and transfer later on. This is known as an Internal Transfer and nowhere is it as easy as here! At Macquarie, you can transfer between entirely different degree areas (for example from a Bachelor of Commerce to a Bachelor of Health). Generally you only need to complete a semester’s worth of subjects and obtain somewhere between a pass and a credit average, although criteria varies between individual degrees. If you choose this option it’s a good idea to start in a course that is related to your desired degree. For example, you could start in a Bachelor of Science (last year’s ATAR cutoff was 75.15) and later transfer into a Bachelor of Science – Psychology (last year’s ATAR cutoff was 83.00). I used this method after my first year at Macquarie and it really is as simple as it sounds.

Non-Award

Non-award study is another common choice for recent high school leavers. This program allows students to study individual units without enrolling in a full degree. Once a student successfully completes 4 subjects and receives an average Pass mark or higher they are guaranteed a place in a Macquarie Bachelor degree program. In addition, the completed non-award units count towards the full degree. What’s even better is that once a non-award student is accepted into a degree they are indistinguishable from all other students and have access to all of Macquarie’s facilities. The only restrictions are that this pathway requires a minimum ATAR of 50 and fees are paid upfront.

SIBT

Another main alternate pathway for students wishing to study at Macquarie University is to enter via the Sydney Institute of Business and Technology (SIBT). In this program students undertake the first year units of their preferred degree with SIBT instead of Macquarie. They’re taught on Macquarie University’s campus, by Macquarie University approved staff and do identical units to students in the full degree program. The difference is that SIBT has smaller class sizes and more support from staff to help students succeed. SIBT students also have full access to Macquarie facilities like the library, gym, food court and shops. If students achieve a GPA of 1.5 (slightly below a pass average) after one year they can usually transfer directly into the second year of the full Macquarie Degree.  A minimum ATAR of 60 applies in order to study through SIBT.

Even More Options

Some other common pathways include starting a degree in second semester when less students apply or studying a Diploma of Languages and later transferring into a Bachelor of Arts after completing the required amount of units with a GPA of 2.0. This pathway is open to all applicants and has no admission criteria. Macquarie University has more entry options than almost any other university in Australia and these are just a sample of the more popular ones. Other pathways include Open Universities Australia, Mature Age Entry, Distance Education, the STAT Test and transferring from another university or TAFE. To see the most recent Macquarie pathways please see the article “Not the ATAR You Wanted?

Macquarie tries to have a range of pathways into university in order to give all sorts of different people the opportunity to study something they’re interested in. University isn’t just for people who can study really hard or remember a lot of facts, it has something for everyone. If you’re still disappointed with your ATAR just remember that after a few years no one cares what your score was or how you got into university. After three years at Macquarie I can honestly say that no one has ever asked me about my HSC marks. None of that will matter, but what’s important is that you’re doing something rewarding and are hopefully learning about something you love.

- More blogs by Alex

75 Responses to “What to do if you didn’t get the ATAR you wanted”

1. Thankyou so much for posting this. When I got my results this morning, I was so disappointed and depressed because it came out much lower than I expected. I seriously felt worthless and incapable but I went onto the Macquarie University site and felt much better that you guys are so welcoming of students who didn’t achieve a high ATAR. Now I don’t think that I’m stupid anymore, because it was really my choice of subjects that made my ATAR low. I really hope that I will be able to study at your university so I can show my full potential! Thanks for giving me hope!

2. Hi Michelle,
    Glad the post made you feel better. And you’re absolutely right, getting a low ATAR does not mean you’re stupid. In fact, you’ll quickly discover that uni is a brand new environment. There are plenty of students who struggled through the HSC who excel at university, while on the other hand some students who did brilliantly in high school struggle with university study. Whatever it is you want to study, don’t give up, if you want it there are other ways in! Andy

3. Hey, I was annoyed in my ATAR result and I was hoping to do IT or Media at University. My ATAR was 49 am I still able to apply for a Non-Reward study?

4. Hey Dior, why not put down a Bachelor of Arts here as a preference just in case? You never know how things go, and you could transfer into Media or IT later down the track if you got into that. Similarly, you can apply for non-award and see how it goes. Good luck!

5. Is there a chance of getting into MACQ if your atar is 5 below the course (including all bonus points)…

6. Hi John, yes there is a chance of getting into Macquarie even if your ATAR is 5 below the course. Firstly, the ATAR you are going off is the ATAR for last year, and the cutoffs fluctuate a little year to year. While it may be unlikely to fluctuate by 5 ATAR points, you should leave that course as a top preference because even if you don’t get a main round offer, there is a chance that in the late round or final round you might get something!
    Internal transfer is very straightforward at Macqaurie though, so I would recommend putting something like a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in your preferences. After one semester you can transfer into most other degrees at the university provided you meet minimum grade point average requirements. If you want specific advice feel free to email futurestudents@mq.edu.au, or better yet come to Info Day on the 4th of January! Good luck, Andy

7. Hey, my ATAR is 50 and I was hoping to do Chiropractic science and I was wondering how to apply for the non-award study and how long does it take to complete.

8. Hi Mel, info on non award study is here . You apply to the uni and have to complete 12 credit points. You can do this in one semester, but it is recommended you spread it over two to lesson the workload, ease you into university study and ensure you maintain the pass average necessary to transfer into a degree program. After this, you cannot transfer directly into a Chiropractic degree, but would transfer into a Bachelor of Science from non-award (provided you maintained a grade point average of 2.0 – a pass average), and then after one semester of a Bachelor of Science transfer into a Chiropractic degree (provided you had a a grade point average of 2.5 (halfway between a pass and credit). Good luck, Andy

9. Hello. Wow I hadn’t realized there were so many different ways. I had a question though personally I want to get into the b commerce but am below the cut-off by almost 6 marks I was wondering if it would be better to enrol in b science and then transfer after first semester or enrol at sibt for one year and then transfer???? Thank you.

10. Hi Sandy, the best thing to do would be to leave Bachelor of Commerce as your top preference, because you never know how ATAR cut offs can change year to year. As your next preference, rather than a B Science or SIBT, I would put down a Bachelor of Arts. Due to the flexibility of an Arts degree, you will be able to pick subjects in your first semester that also count towards the first semester of a commerce degree. After one semester you can transfer across to a Bachelor of Commerce (provided you have maintained a pass average) and carry on, completely indistinguishable from a student who got into a Bachelor of Commerce from the outset. Good luck, Andy

11. Hello,

I was extremely devastated by my ATAR which was 84.7. My dream has been to study Law and International Studies at Macquarie Uni for a long time, however due to several disadvantages and problems at home, I have missed out on this opportunity by a mile. Is there any chance at all that I will be able to get into my course despite my low ATAR? :(

I am extremely passionate about law, and I really do strive to work hard and achieve my goals. I’m worried that if I do International Studies on it’s own in the first year, I won’t be able to transfer into law in the second year because it is so competitive. Please help me, I am stressing so much, and all I really wanna do is just be able to do law in Macquarie in the first year :(

12. Hi Jasmine,
    Unfortunately, you won’t be able to do law at Macquarie in the first year, but don’t be too disappointed – there really is no need to stress. Transferring into law after doing International Studies in the first year is very possible. Yes, it is competitive to transfer into law, but many places are set aside each year specifically for students transferring into law internally. If you are dedicated and work hard to receive the best marks possible, then there’s no reason you shouldn’t be confident that you will be able to transfer across. (You need at least a credit average to apply, but the higher you get the more of a guarantee you’ll have). Its worth noting that the average marks of students who transfer into law is slightly higher than those who are admitted straight away!
    Andy

13. Hi Andy, I got 82.1 as my ATAR, but wish to do Hearing and Speech and eventally audiology, which is an ATAR of 84.9. I dont qualify for any educational bonus points. What are my chances? Got any suggestions for an alternate pathway? I have applied for educational access scheme through UAC (hearing impairment) but may not get anything. Thanks!

14. Hi Gemma,
    The ATAR cut off of 84.9, is from last year and this year it may fluctuate up or down slightly depending on demand. However, it is unlikely to drop down enough for you to receive a main round offer. Check the bonus points calculator just to make sure you don’t qualify for any! However, there are other ways in! First, make sure you keep Speech and Hearing as one of your high preferences, then even if you miss out and get offered and accept a lower preference, you may still receive a late round or final round offer to study a Bachelor of Speech and Hearings.

However, the best suggestion for an alternative pathway is just to enroll in a Bachelor of Science. After one semester you can transfer into a Bachelor of Speech and Hearing Sciences (provided you maintain a grade point average of 2.5 – half way between a pass and credit average). Best of all, as part of the Bachelor of Science you can do subjects in the first semester that count towards the Speech and Hearing degree, meaning you won’t be slowed down or hindered at all just because you didn’t get straight into speech and hearing off the cuff!
    Best of luck with it!
    Andy

15. if you can do the bachelor of science and want to transfer to the bachelor of speech and hearing science then what are the chances of being accepted into it, would you only be allowed if there are available spaces?

16. Hi Mariam,
    It’s hard to say exactly what your chances are but as long as you meet the requirements then your chances should be good. The requirements for transferring to a Bachelor of Speech and Hearing Science are the completion of 12 credit points (4 subjects) and a minimum GPA of 2.5 (which amounts to getting about 2 credits and 2 passes overall in your subjects).

In regards to whether there are spaces available, this is usually only a problem with the ridiculously popular degrees like Law.

You’ll need to talk to an Academic Advisor before you make the change so here’s a list of those in the right department: http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/support/academic_advice/advice_ugrad.htm.
    I’d also recommend you have a good read of the information on internal transfer: http://studentadmin.mq.edu.au/undergrad/currentstudents/coursetransfer.html.
    Hope that helps!
    Alex

17. hi i was wondering what possibilty there is for me doing environmental science with me getting an atar mark of 65. is there a course i can do so that i can transfer?

18. Hi Finn,
    There’s always ways to get where you want to be, sometimes you just have to take a more round about route!

You probably wouldn’t be able to use internal transfer straight away because most degrees require an ATAR of around 75.

However the best option for you could be Non-Award Study: http://www.mq.edu.au/pubstatic/courses/non-award_study/pathways_to_a_degree/. You need to do 4 subjects and finish with a GPA of 2.25 and you’re GUARANTEED into the Bachelor of Environment (with a specialisation in environmental science if you choose). The difference is that you pay fees UPFRONT but once you’re admitted into a degree then you can get a student loan. This is probably the most direct route into the degree you want.

There are other options for you though, from TAFE to SIBT to the STAT Test. Have a good read of the alternate pathways and see which other ways might work for you: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/

Alex

19. Hey, im just wondering if i get below 50 for my ATAR and the business course i want requires around 55, what can i do to get into this ? Thanks !

20. Hi Henry,

Firstly, have you checked if you’re eligible for bonus points? You can get them for what subjects you did in the HSC, where you live or if you’ve had any disadvantages. You can read more and even calculate how many bonus points you can get here: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/

Then you can see the huge range of Macquarie University’s pathways here: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/

However I think the most relevant options for you are:

1 Non-Award. http://www.mq.edu.au/courses/non-award_study/general_information/ Contact the non-award people for an interview and once you get in and complete 4 units with a GPA of 2.0 you can transfer directly into the Bachelor of Commerce at Macquarie, with all the previous work you did counting towards the degree! The only difference is you pay fees upfront, except once you’re accepted into Macquarie you can get a student loan and are completely indistinguishable from other students.

2. SIBT you can enter a certificate course with 4 passes from your year 11 subjects, then get into a standard diploma. SIBT is a good pathway because it has small class sizes, lots of help, and can go directly into the second year of a Macquarie degree (like the Bachelor of Commerce) once you’ve finished there. You have complete access to Macquarie’s facilities and study on-campus too. SIBT offers bonus points too so make sure to contact them: http://www.sibt.nsw.edu.au/

3. TAFE (http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/tafe_graduates/). Complete a TAFE course that relates to business and then apply to Macquarie. Similar units will count towards the uni degree so you can save some time. You normally apply through UAC however some courses allow direct entry through TAFE. For example, completing a Diploma of Business from Northern Sydney Institute of TAFE with a credit average or higher allows entry into a Bachelor of Business Administration at Macquarie.

4. Check if you’re eligible to sit UniTest: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/unitest/

5. As a last resort Open Universities Australia (http://www.open.edu.au/public/home). There is no ATAR required. You can only enrol in the Bachelor of Arts through this pathway and it is all online until you complete 4 units with a credit average and then you are guaranteed a place on-campus. From there you can use internal transfer to get into a Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Business Administration.

Hope that gives you some options!

Good luck,
    Alex

21. hey, I am hoping to do a combined degree of bachelor of Media with law- my main priority being law. I would like to know of the alternative ways i can choose to get into the course if i get an atar of below 80. i am so lost and do not understand how this whole system works. Please help !

22. Hi Anna,

It can get pretty confusing, especially with Law!

If you don’t make the ATAR for the Bachelor of Arts – Media with the Bachelor of Law (96.2 for this year) then you can start off in the Bachelor of Arts – Media with an ATAR of 85.4 or the Bachelor of Arts (75.00) and just take some media subjects or a major in something like Media, Culture and Communication or Writing.

After completing at least 18 credit points of the single Media or Arts degree (that’s 6 subjects, normally taken over 1 year) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 you can apply through the internal transfer policy to enter the combined Law degree. Only 50 students will be taken in this way and entry is competitive as it’s based off your university marks. If you’re successful in getting in, then after completing 2 law subjects your place will be secured!

You can read more details and apply here: http://www.law.mq.edu.au/future_students/combined_llb_programs/internal_transfer/

Another option is to complete a non-law degree (like the Bachelor of Arts – Media) first and then apply for the Bachelor of Laws afterwards. You can read about this here: http://www.law.mq.edu.au/future_students/graduate_llb/

You can direct more specific questions to an academic advisor. You can find a link to them on this page: http://www.law.mq.edu.au/contact_us/

Good luck Anna, I’m sure if your heart is set on Law then you can get there!

Alex

23. I achieved an 11 in A-levels which equals to an ATAR of 88 and i wanted to enroll in economics with applied finance but i got 0.25 less do i have a chance of getting in if this ATAR cut-off stays the same this year?

24. Hi Taimoor,
    Yes you have a chance of getting into this course, as ATARs fluctuate between years. Even if you got a little lower than the cut off you can sometimes get in through later offer rounds.

However, have you checked if you’re eligible for any bonus points? You can see all our bonus point schemes here: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/

The most common way of getting bonus points is through Academic Advantage, which is where you get points if your high school subjects relate to the degree you’d like to do. For example, doing business studies or economics for you. You can find out exactly how many bonus points you can get now with our bonus points calculator: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/academic_advantage/bonus_points_calculator/

You can get a maximum of 5 bonus points from this scheme and these points are added automatically if you have Macquarie in your preference list. However, this only applied is you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident and completed an Australian HSC.

You can get other bonus points if you live in a rural area, have had some form of hardship during year 11 and 12 or have put a lot of time towards sports or performing. Then you may be eligible for up to 9 bonus points between these schemes.

However if you still don’t get the ATAR then consider starting in one of the single degrees, the Bachelor of Applied Finance (ATAR 88) or Bachelor of Economics (ATAR 85.05) and then internally transferring to the double degree later. You can read about internal transfer here: http://studentadmin.mq.edu.au/undergrad/currentstudents/coursetransfer.html. The bit down the bottom under “transfer to a different course” is relevant to you.

Hope that helps!
    Alex

25. Hey, I’m doing my HSC at the moment but I don’t think I’m going to get the ATAR I want for Bachelor of Media. If that’s the case, what other options do I have? I really wanted to come here.

26. Hi Andrea,
    Great to hear you’re keen to join us at Macquarie!
    First, have you checked to see if you’re eligible for any bonus points? You can check to see how many you can get depending on the subjects you’re doing at the moment: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/academic_advantage/bonus_points_calculator/

Then, the best option would be to enrol in a different (but preferably related) course and make use of Macquarie’s internal transfer policy. This means that you start in a different degree but can transfer within the university to the Arts – Media degree after completing 12 credit points (4 subjects) and providing that your marks are about a Pass to Credit average (a GPA of 2.0). Read up on this page, taking particular note of the bit down the bottom under ‘transfer to a different course’: http://studentadmin.mq.edu.au/undergrad/currentstudents/coursetransfer.html

I would recommend starting in a related degree like the Bachelor of Arts (ATAR 75), in which you can take the same first year subjects as you would be doing in the Bachelor of Arts – Media. Check out which subjects these would be here, by going to ‘what you will study’: http://www.courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-arts—media
    This way, when you transfer to the Bachelor of Arts – Media, you haven’t wasted any time and will be at exactly the same stage as someone who started in Arts – Media.

Check out the Bachelor of Arts here: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-arts

If this option doesn’t suit then you can see more possibilities here: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/

Good luck and we hope to see you on campus soon!
    Alex

27. will having a coneyancing licence help to study law? because my atar was really low and i would realy like to study law

28. Hi Beau,

It is hard to know if it will help you get into Law, because the university takes into account many things like your higher education results and any work you have done alongside your ATAR.

If you have just completed your HSC or are under 21 you will need to apply directly through UAC. Read about how to apply, and some alternate entry schemes here: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/how_to_apply/non_school_leavers_faqs/

Or, if you completed your HSC a year or more ago, you are considered a non-school leaver and could take the STAT test, which is for those who have an insufficient ATAR to study. You book this (preferably well in advance) through UAC: http://www.uac.edu.au/stat/

If you are a non-school leaver, then we recently had an information evening for such students. You can see videos and presentations from the event here, which may help you understand your options: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/coming_events/non_school_leaver_information_evening/

If you are over 21 and have never studied before then consider Macquarie’s Jubilee scheme: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/mature_age_jubilee_scheme/
    However you cannot gain direct access to a Law program through the Jubilee scheme. You will need to start in another area (e.g. Arts of Science)and then internally transfer into law after at least one semester, and with a sufficient GPA.

Essentially, there are many different pathways to get to Law, depending on your age and if you have previously studied. I would recommend coming to Info Day on Thursday 3 January to ask any questions you have and find out how to get where you want. http://infoday.mq.edu.au/

I hope this gives you more of an idea of what to do. Feel free to ask more questions and good luck!
    Alex

29. Hi there i have not got my ATAR as of yet not till tomorrow although my ,arks indicate at atar of around 63.5. Is there anyway i can do a course at Macquarie associating around advertising or something that will lead me on to advertising?

30. i wanted to get into the course of bachelor of arts with bachelor or education (primary) which last years cut off was 75.25 and my atar was 65.45. what would be the best course to take to prepare for an internal transfer into that course later on? thanks

31. Hey I just got my atar and with 2 bonus marks Im pretty certain i will recieve an atar of 70.55 which is short of the 75.7 atar cut off for environmental science, is there still a chance that i would get an offer?

32. Hi!

I got my atar today and it’s a lot lower than expected. I’ve been researching and found out i can do Diploma of Languages of Ancient History. Truth is that this does interest me, but I was really hoping to get into B Psychology.

Would doing the diploma of languages for 1 year and then transferring to psych then next be possible? Or could I even do both?

All honesty, I’m so lost.

33. Hey, just recently got a disappointing atar of 74.50 and i am trying to get into Bachelor of Engineering which has a cut off of 77.5 , the bonus point calculator says i receive 2 points. what is the likelihood of being accepted seeings as i am still shy of the cut off?

34. So i was hoping to get into biomedical science and transfer to medicine or something. But i didn’t even get into biomed, is there still an avenue to get into medicine? my atar was 79.35

35. More so, i was wondering about the terms of transferring into a course with such a high ATAR is it as simple as getting between a pass or credit like you mentioned. Or are there other conditions for a medicine course?

36. with a 42.50 atar what’s the chance to get into university?

37. i got 50.60 as my atar and it isn’t what i expected :(
    is there anyway to get into uni and do sport management or any science course
    desperate

38. This morning when I received my ATAR, I was disappointed and upset as I didn’t expect it to be so low! Receiving my raw marks yesterday was fine as I got band 4′s and a band 5, however, my ATAR came to 51.95. I was really hoping to get into primary teaching, although, receiving my marks honestly made me give up. I visited this site and it’s made me feel a little better about my options. I feel that there are alternative ways to get into the course I want. I believe that it was my choice of subjects that brought my atar down even though I had 12 units. As I came across this, I felt so much relief that Macquarie University is willing to give students with a low ATAR an opportunity. I was wondering, what are the best options I have available to be able to get into the course I want (primary teaching). I really hope that your university offers something that could help me out! Thankyou.

39. Hi there Fred,

The best thing to do would be to apply to the pathway institutions SIBT or Non-Award study. They’re both on campus at Macquarie, taught by Macquarie-approved academics and you get access to all of Macquarie’s facilities. After a year of studying and successful passing of 4 subjects, you can transfer into a range of Macquarie degrees – probably the Bachelor of Commerce with a major in Marketing would suit you. Have a look at it here: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-commerce/major-in-marketing

The main difference is that these pathways are more expensive. Check out SIBT here: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/sydney_institute_of_business_and_technology/

And Non-Award here: http://mq.edu.au/courses/non-award_study/general_information/

I’d also recommend coming to Macquarie’s Info Day on 3rd January – http://infoday.mq.edu.au/

You can talk to academics and the people who run these pathways so you can officially sort out what you want to do.

Good luck!
    Alex

40. Hi LJ,

I would recommend Non-Award as a pathway – it’s where you study individual units but are not yet enrolled in a degree. You need to complete 12 credit points (4 subjects) over the year and if you get a GPA of 2.25 (just above a pass average) you’re guaranteed a spot in the Bachelor of Arts with the Bachelor of Education (Primary) – no internal transfer required! The subjects that you completed through non-award count as credit towards the degree too so you don’t waste time.

Non-award students are indistinguishable from other Macquarie students but the main difference is that you have to pay your fees upfront. But once you’re into a Macquarie degree you can obtain a government loan. There is a minimum ATAR requirement of 50 for students who completed their HSC in 2011 or 2012, and 2013 applications close on the 23rd January.

Have a look at Non-Award here: http://mq.edu.au/pubstatic/courses/non-award_study/pathways_to_a_degree/

Good luck! Alex

41. Hi Finn,

There is always a chance because as you know ATARs fluctuate a little each year and you may also get an offer in a later round if there are spare spots in the degree. But it’s best to have a back up plan in case! Have a look at this article to see some possible plans: http://www.mq.edu.au/blogs/getsirius/2012/11/23/not-the-atar-you-wanted/

Non-Award would probably suit you because you can articulate into the Bachelor of Environment after a year, and completing 4 subjects with an average mark of just over a Pass. Or into the Bachelor of Science after completing 4 subjects with a Pass average.

I’d also recommend coming to Macquarie’s Info Day on 3rd Jan – http://infoday.mq.edu.au/

You can talk to academics and the pathway institutions so you can officially sort out what you want to do!
    Alex

42. Hi Yentil – don’t despair! There’s always a way to get to your dream degree, sometimes it just takes a little longer to go through a side door :)

If your ATAR was below 50 there are still some options available. The Diploma of Languages or Diploma of Ancient Languages is one of these however if you’re not interested in languages then it could be a struggle. Anyway, this pathway would work like this: get accepted into the Diploma of Languages or Ancient Languages > complete 12 credit points (4 subjects) over the course of the year and Pass all of them > apply to internally transfer into the Bachelor of Arts > complete 12 credit points (4 subjects – this time they can be taken in just one session if you prefer) and get a GPA of 2.5 (between a Credit and Pass average) > internally transfer to the Bachelor of Arts – Psychology. The 12 credit points you did in the Bachelor of Arts would count towards your degree so you wouldn’t waste time there.

Other options would be to complete a TAFE course first and then come to Macquarie or the Macquarie Foundation Program. Have a look at these pathways in this article: http://www.mq.edu.au/blogs/getsirius/2012/11/23/not-the-atar-you-wanted/

Good luck!
    Alex

43. Hi there Liam,

Firstly, have you checked if you’re eligible for bonus points through the other schemes? Academic Advantage and Rural Bonus points are the most common: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/

If not, then your ATAR is sitting at 76.5, which still leaves lots of possibilities! Firstly, you may still get an offer if the ATAR fluctuates down a little, or you may get an offer in a later round if there are still spots available in the course. So either way, we generally recommend that students leave their dream degree was their first preference in case this happens.

Now, a great back up plan would be the Bachelor of Science (ATAR 75.15). (You can do a major in Electronics or Software Technology if you’re into those areas of Engineering).. After completing 18 credit points (6 subjects) in this degree and with a GPA of 2.25 (just above a Pass average) you can then internally transfer into the Bachelor of Engineering. You can take subjects in your first year that will contribute to your Engineering degree so you won’t even waste any time!

I’d recommend coming to Macquarie’s Info Day on 3rd Jan – http://infoday.mq.edu.au/

Here you can talk to academics so you can officially sort out what you want to do.

Good luck :)
    Alex

44. Hi Elijah,

Firstly, have you checked if you’re eligible for any bonus points? Academic Advantage and Rural Bonus points are the most common and could help you out, especially since you’re so close: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/

The Bachelor of Medical Science had an ATAR 80.7 last year so you’re not far off at all. If the ATAR fluctuates down a little this year you could still get in, or receive an offer in a later round if there are still spots available in the course.

If not, then there are still lots of possibilities! A great back up plan would be the Bachelor of Science (ATAR 75.15). After completing 24 credit points (8 subjects) in this degree and with a GPA of 3 (a Credit average) you can then internally transfer into the Bachelor of Medical Science. You can take subjects in your first year that will contribute to this degree so you won’t even waste any time! And yes, it really does work that simply :)

You can see the exact requirements to internally transfer down the bottom of this page under “transfer to a different course”: http://studentadmin.mq.edu.au/undergrad/currentstudents/coursetransfer.html
    But hopefully you won’t need to as you’re so close and may get bonus points anyway :)

Also, I’d recommend coming to Macquarie’s Info Day on 3rd Jan – http://infoday.mq.edu.au/

Good luck!
    Alex

45. Hi Mandy,

There’s not too much chance of getting straight into a university course, however there are still many alternate pathways available!

Studying a Diploma of Languages or Ancient Languages, completing the Macquarie Foundation Program or first completing a TAFE course are all possibilities for you :)

Have a look a this article to read about them: http://www.mq.edu.au/blogs/getsirius/2012/11/23/not-the-atar-you-wanted/

Feel free to ask any more questions you might have here or on our Facebook page (which is monitored every day!): https://www.facebook.com/macquariefuturestudents

Here you can talk to academics and some of these pathway institutions so you can officially sort out what you want to do.
    Good luck!
    Alex

46. Hi David,

We don’t offer sports management but we sure do offer a lot of Science! (and postgraduate physiotherapy if you’re interested..) The Bachelor of Science’s ATAR cut off last year was 75.15 and you can do a major in things like Human Biology, Psychological Science and Physiology & Neuroscience (or double major in two of them). Have a look at it here: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-science

The best option if you want to end up here would be Non-Award, where you study individual units but are not yet enrolled in a degree. However, if you complete four subjects with a GPA of 2.0 (a Pass mark) you are then guaranteed a place in the full Macquarie degree – in your case the Bachelor of Science.

Non-award students are indistinguishable from other Macquarie students and the subjects you previously completed count towards your degree (thus not wasting any time). You do have to pay your fees upfront but once you’re into a Macquarie degree you can obtain a government loan. There is a minimum ATAR requirement of 50 for students who completed their HSC in 2011 or 2012, and 2013 applications close on the 23rd January. Read more about it here: http://mq.edu.au/pubstatic/courses/non-award_study/pathways_to_a_degree/

And don’t be so hard on yourself – we have lots of people who come to Macquarie through these pathways and they often achieve so much better in a university environment rather than school – some ways of learning just suit people better! Also, I’d recommend coming to Macquarie’s Info Day on 3rd Jan – http://infoday.mq.edu.au/
    Here you can talk to academics and the Non-Award people so you can officially sort out a plan.
    Good luck!
    Alex

47. Hi there Jov, glad you found us :)

Yes it’s true that subject choice has a lot to do with scaling and how your ATAR turns out. I remember being told so often not to do HSC Art because it would bring my marks down but I didn’t care because I loved it!

Sorry to hear how upset you were. High school makes it seem like the HSC is all that matters and that it will determine the rest of your life – but believe me, getting a lower ATAR than you were hoping for is not a major problem. Macquarie has so many options available to get to your end goal!

I think that a good pathway option for you would be Non-Award. This is where you study individual units but are not yet enrolled in a degree. However, if you complete four subjects with a GPA of 2.25 (just above a Pass mark) you are then guaranteed a place in the full Macquarie degree – in your case the Bachelor of Arts with the Bachelor of Education (Primary). Alternatively you could go for the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Education) (Birth to 12) or the Bachelor of Teaching (Birth to Five Years) by following the same route but achieving a GPA of 2.0 (a Pass mark).

And if it’s any consolation, a lot of people who are disappointed with their HSC marks actually thrive in a university environment. After all, you get to pick what you want to study so you’ll probably enjoy it! What’s important is that you end up where you want to be :)

Good luck! Alex

48. Hey i was wondering about the bachelor of arts. If have a altar of 70.65 can i get into a bachelor of arts and then do an internal transfer to my preferred subject?

49. Hi, I got my atar and it was 79.95 it wasn’t what I expected, and was way below what I needed. I’ve always wanted to study law, but with that atar, it seems impossible. I know I need a GPA 3, which is a credit to internally transfer, but what are my chances of getting in, if I did meet the criteria? Is it guaranteed? Has anyone met the exact criteria but was unsuccessful in getting into law due to how competitive it is?
    Thank you.

50. Hey, i was just wondering if i can transfer to macquarie uni from another university to study the bachelor of Chiropractic science, i have completed a year of the bachelor of science and ended up with a gpa of 4.5/7, is it still possible to do it or there’s no chance? thank you

51. Hi I just received a disappointing atar of 58.55 and would like to know if there is a clear alternative pathway into the bachelor of speech and hearing science. Thanks

52. Hi Sahar,

The Bachelor of Arts had an ATAR of 75 this year so unless it fluctuates greatly it’s unlikely that you could go straight into it. However you can still end up in your course of choice through alternate pathways. Depending on what course you would like to end up in, have a look at Non-Award: http://mq.edu.au/pubstatic/courses/non-award_study/pathways_to_a_degree/

And also SIBT: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/sydney_institute_of_business_and_technology/

The degrees that they allow pathway entry into differ but essentially they both work on the idea that you complete 12 credit points (4 subjects) over a year, achieve a certain average mark and then can transfer into the Macquarie degree with your previously completed subjects counting towards it. You do have to pay your fees upfront for that year though.

I’d recommend that you come to Macquarie’s Info Day on 3rd Jan – http://infoday.mq.edu.au/
    Then you can talk to academics, the Non-Award and SIBT people about your options.
    Let me know if you have more questions!

Alex

53. Hi there Ann,

Yes, you can try to transfer into law once you’ve started studying at Macquarie. You do this after you have completed 6 or more non-law units (subjects) and then gain admission to the non-law quota. Getting into the non-law quota is the bit that requires good marks. You need a minimum GPA of 3 and basically those with the better GPA’s get in first – so it’s not necessarily guaranteed. However once you are accepted you just need to pass two law subjects and you’re in! So your chances really depend on how you go with those 6 units. My advice is to start in a degree where you can take subjects that you like and will do well at, no matter what they are! Read all about it here: http://www.law.mq.edu.au/future_students/combined_llb_programs/internal_transfer/

Alternatively, you can actually apply through UAC again for mid-year entry into a law degree or at the end of the year too. And if that doesn’t work out, apply for graduate law (so you do just law for 3 years after your undergraduate degree). It will take a year extra but pretty much gets you to the exact same place!

There’s always lots of options :) Come to Macquarie’s Info Day on 3rd Jan – http://infoday.mq.edu.au/ to discuss them all.
    Alex

54. Hi Kevin,

Glad to hear that you’re interested in Macquarie :) Our Chiropractic degree is really well known too, so you’re definitely coming to the right place! As for whether you can transfer directly into the Bachelor of Chiropractic Science, I couldn’t tell you because UAC makes this assessment. However UAC will take into account both your academic record from your previous university as well as your ATAR, so this may help. Although I’m not sure what your GPA means, as Macquarie’s GPA’s only go up to 4. But you can try to figure it out here: http://www.studentadmin.mq.edu.au/other/gpa.html

To read about your options for transferring to Macquarie, (whether you meet the requirements to transfer directly into Chiropractic or not) have a look at this page, under the section “Students wishing to transfer institutions”:
    http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/

Remember that once you get into any degree at Macquarie you can always internally transfer to Chiropractic too. For this you just need to have completed 4 subjects with a GPA of 2.5 (between a pass and credit average). So perhaps you could transfer into a Bachelor of Science or similar (thus getting credit for previous study) and then transfer to Chiropractic from there. Check this option out on this page under, ‘transfer to a different course’ down the bottom: http://www.studentadmin.mq.edu.au/undergrad/currentstudents/coursetransfer.html

There’s always a way :)

Alex

55. Hi Michael,

The best way to end up in the Bachelor of Speech and Hearing Sciences would be to come through an alternate pathway route like Non-Award. Non-Award is where you study individual units but are not yet enrolled in a degree. However, if you complete four subjects with a certain GPA (normally a Pass or Credit average) you are then guaranteed a place in a small selection of Macquarie degrees. Unfortunately Non-Award doesn’t allow you to articulate directly into the Bachelor of Speech and Hearing Sciences, but that’s where internal transfer comes in.

Once you’re in a Macquarie degree (any) then you can internally transfer into the Bachelor of Speech and Hearing Sciences by completing 12 credit points (4 subjects) with a GPA of 2.5 (between a Pass and Credit average). Then you’re in for good!

By the way, Non-Award students are indistinguishable from other Macquarie students and the subjects you previously completed count towards your degree (thus not wasting any time). You do have to pay your fees upfront but once you’re into a Macquarie degree you can obtain a government loan. There is a minimum ATAR requirement of 50 for students who completed their HSC in 2011 or 2012, and 2013 applications close on the 23rd January. Read more about it here: http://mq.edu.au/pubstatic/courses/non-award_study/pathways_to_a_degree/

Here you can talk to academics and the Non-Award people about your options. And if it’s any consolation, a lot of people who are disappointed with their HSC marks actually thrive in a university environment :)

I hope that helps! Alex

56. I was quite excited when I received my subject marks so was really disappointed when my ATAR came through at 62. I want to do Bach of International Studies and wonder what my chances are of getting into Bach of Arts and then transferring. I think I qualify for Rural Bonus points. What other options do I have?

57. Hey. My atar ended up being 75.00 but the cut off for a bachelor of engineering is 77.5. I know you’ve already explained how the cut off can change slightly each year, so I was just wondering wether 77.5 is the relevant number or if its yet to be adjusted for 2013? Also , assuming it is 77.5 and I recieve one bonus point , will an atar of 76 enable me to get into the course ?

58. Hi Corrinne,

You can check if you qualify for rural bonus points here: http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/rural_bonus_scheme/

However even with Rural Bonus Points it may be unlikely that you’ll get into the Bachelor of Arts, unless the ATAR fluctuates significantly or you’re made an offer in a later round (so there is always a chance). I think it would be best to look at some alternate pathway options such as Non-Award or SIBT.

The deal with Non-Award is that you study individual units (subjects) but are not yet enrolled in a degree. However, if you complete four subjects with a GPA of 2.0 (a Pass mark) you are then guaranteed a place in the full Macquarie degree – in your case the Bachelor of Arts. Non-award students are indistinguishable from other Macquarie students and the subjects you previously completed count towards your degree (thus not wasting any time). You do have to pay your fees upfront but once you’re into a Macquarie degree you can obtain a government loan. There is a minimum ATAR requirement of 50 for students who completed their HSC in 2011 or 2012, and 2013 applications close on the 23rd January. Read more about it here: http://mq.edu.au/pubstatic/courses/non-award_study/pathways_to_a_degree/

SIBT is quite similar and you can read about it here: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/sydney_institute_of_business_and_technology/

Once you’re into the Bachelor of Arts you can internally transfer after completing 18 credit points (6 subjects) with a GPA of 2.5 (between a Pass and Credit average). Within the Arts degree, if you take all the first-year subjects that you would normally do in the Bachelor of International Studies, then when you transfer it will be like you’ve been in that degree from the beginning and not have to take any extra time. You’ll need to speak to an academic adviser about this but you can have a look at what subjects would help you out under “what you will study” on this page: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-international-studies

Here you can talk to academics and the Non-Award and SIBT people about your options. And don’t worry, a lot of people who are disappointed with their HSC marks do really well at uni because they’re doing something they love!

I hope that helps :)
    Alex

59. Hi there Luke,

In short – the mark of 77.5 is yet to be adjusted for 2013. 77.5 for engineering is the cut-off mark for last year and thus can be a good estimate of the ATAR cut-off for the degree this year, but we won’t know the real cut-off until offers come out! With your bonus point you come quite close so if the ATAR fluctuates down a little bit you’re in with a chance or you could still get an offer in a later round if there are some free spots available. This is why we always recommend that students keep their dream degree as their number one preference. (By the way have you checked if you’re eligible for bonus points through our other schemes? If not, have a look here: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/)

However I think it would be good to have a back up plan. In your case you have a high enough mark to get straight into a Macquarie degree and then you can simply internally transfer later on. Since you’re interested in Engineering I would suggest that you look at:
    The Bachelor of Science (2012 cut off was 75.15) where you could choose a major in Electronics, Business Information Systems of Software Technology: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-science
    The Bachelor of IT (2012 cut off was 74.40) where you could major in Business Information Systems of Software Technology: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-information-technology

After completing 18 credit points (6 subjects) in one of these degrees with a GPA of 2.25 (between a Pass and Credit average) you can then internally transfer into the Bachelor of Engineering. The best part of this is that if you take the same first-year subjects as you would in the Bachelor of Engineering then when you transfer it will be like you’ve been in that degree from the beginning and not have to take any extra time. You’ll need to speak to an academic adviser about this but you can have a look at what subjects would help you out under “what you will study” on this page: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-engineering

where you can talk to student advisers and engineering academics about these options and figure out what’s best for you.

Good luck!
    Alex

60. Hi, my dream course is Bachelor of Ancient History,which is a new course. Since it is a new course, the cut-off is unknown until main round offers, but it has been suggested to me that the cut-off will be similiar to the cut-off for Bachelor of Ancient History (Hon), which was 82.25 i think. For my HSC I got an atar of 80.45, and I found out that bonus points do not count towards this course. I have Bachelor of Arts as my 3rd preference, and I think I will make it in, so If I cannot get into my 1st preference, I know I can transfer internally into Bachelor of Ancient History. However, I was wondering what my chances are of getting into Bachelor of Ancient History in later rounds?

61. Hello Nina,

While it’s true that you can’t get bonus points for the Ancient History degree through Academic Advantage, you could still be eligible for getting bonus points from our three other bonus point schemes: Rural Bonus Points, The Lighthouse Scheme and Elite Athletes and Artistic Performers. Have a look at them here: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/bonus_points/

I can’t really tell you your chances because ATARs change a little every year and it is extremely hard to predict the ATAR for a new course (although we can assume it will be in the vicinity of the old Ancient History degree). If the ATAR fluctuates down a little this year you could still get in, or receive an offer in a later round if there are still spots available in the course. If you’re aiming to get an offer in a later round we always suggest that you accept whatever offer you are made in the main round, because accepting one offer does not prevent you from getting another later on. Then you keep the Bachelor of Ancient History as a top preference and wait and see if you get an offer for it in the late and final rounds. If you do, accept that instead and forget about the first offer – you don’t have to do anything with it.

However, if you don’t get an offer for the Bachelor of Ancient History, then there are still lots of possibilities! A great back up plan would be the Bachelor of Arts that you already mentioned. As you said, you can internally transfer into the Bachelor of Ancient History later, although the requirements to do so are a bit higher than for other courses. Nonetheless, you would do this by completing 18 credit points (6 subjects), with at least two of them being the ancient history subjects AHIS100, AHIS110, AHIS120, AHIS140 or AHIS170; and at least one subject being AHIS208, AHIS218, AHIS258, AHIS278 or AHIS268. You’ll need to complete your 6 subjects with a GPA of 3.25 (just over a Credit average). This is pretty complicated stuff so I’d recommend talking to an academic adviser once you’re at Macquarie to plan your course structure, and coming to Info Day on the 3rd January (http://infoday.mq.edu.au/) to talk to the Ancient History academics about this option so they can set you on the right path.
    Anyway, a final fall-back option would be to stay with the Bachelor of Arts and take a major in either “Ancient History – Egypt and Near East” or “Ancient History – Greece, Rome and Late Antiquity” – or double major with both! Have a look at this degree here and click on the majors under “what you will study”: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-arts

I hope that helps – and good luck!
    Alex

62. If I applied for Bachelor of Arts in open universities, is it possible to transfer to Chiropractic studies in Macquarie University?

63. Hi there Harley,
    It is possible to get there in the end, however you can’t move straight from an OUA Bachelor of Arts to an on-campus Bachelor of Chiropractic Science. What you would have to do would be to do your 4 units of study through the OUA Bachelor of Arts, complete them with a GPA of 3.0 (Credit average) and then you can be admitted to the on-campus version of the Macquarie Bachelor of Arts (applying through UAC). Once you’re doing the on-campus degree you can internally transfer to the Bachelor of Chiropractic Science after completing another 4 units with a GPA of 2.5 (between a Pass and Credit average).
    However I have heard that OUA can be difficult because you need to be really organised and be able to motivate yourself for assignments etc. But if you’re dedicated then I’m sure you can achieve in it! Have you also considered Non-Award, SIBT and the Diploma of Languages? These can all be pathways into the Bachelor of Arts too.
    Good luck and I hope that helps!
    Alex

64. Hey, This is off topic, but hypothetically, if I were to have accepted an offer from maquarie university would I be guaranteed a spot into the course? for example, bachelor of arts, city campus? I am just really curious!!!!

65. Hey Anton,

No problem, we love curious questions!

If you have accepted your offer then yes, the place is yours! It means that Macquarie has checked there is a space for you and once you accept it, it will be kept reserved just for you :)

Let me know if you have any more questions :) And good luck with your study!
    Alex

66. Hey, unfortunately im a returning aussie from NZ and when my NCEA (HSC equivalent)was changed into an ATAR it was lower than i expected.. 76. I would really like to get into the B Business Admin but don’t meet that ATAR. if i only just applied to UAC do you think i am likely to get in in the late or final round for business? also i put in as a safety net the B Arts, because im 1 point over that atar score (and then could transfer), and there is vacancies does that mean i will definitely get in? Thanks :)

67. Hi Katie,
    If there are still spots available in the Bachelor of Business Administration then you may be made an offer in the late or final rounds – that’s why we always recommend to keep you dream degree as your number one preference.

Another possibility would be the Bachelor of Commerce, which had a slightly lower ATAR (81) cut off last year. Check it out here: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-commerce Also, have a look at the e-Business degree (ATAR 75.6). This might be a good one to start in too as it’s very business related: http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-e–business

Remember that the ATAR cut offs we are all looking at are from last year so we can only estimate as to what they’ll be this year. However this can be a good thing if the ATAR fluctuates down a little.

You’ve done the right thing by having a back up plan like Arts. Like you mentioned, if you get into this degree then you can simply internally transfer into the Bachelor of Business Administration after completing 12 credit points (4 subjects) with a GPA of 2.5 (between a Pass and a Credit average).

I can’t guarantee that you’ll get into Arts as the ATARs can fluctuate however I can say that the Arts ATAR has generally stayed pretty constant over the years and I think your chances are good :)

Good luck! Alex

68. Im a straight-A student but the stress is getting to me and im considering dropping out of year 11; are there many positions avaliable and wil i still succeed highly in life?

69. Hi there,

I totally feel where you’re coming from – the years leading up to the HSC can be incredibly stressful and I actually had a moment like this in Year 11 too! However, being so close to finishing high school, I decided to stick it out until the end (school counselors can be really great helps in these cases).

However, not completing your HSC is not the end of the world. You can still end up at university by completing TAFE courses, starting in a language course at Macquarie (http://www.mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/language_qualifications/), entering through the Foundation Program (http://www.foundationstudies.mq.edu.au/) or studying the Bachelor of Arts though Open Universities Australia (http://www.open.edu.au/). It just depends on what you want to do and how you want to get there.

And of course you can still succeed in life! If you’ve got the determination and discipline to do it you’ll go far. I know heaps of people that never finished high school or dropped out of their uni degrees and are now successful in their fields because of their own hard work.

Good luck :) And if you have any more questions you can always swing by the Future Students Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/macquariefuturestudents

Alex

70. Hello mate, read this and got me thinking, I am one of the last remaining HSC students doing the old 6 subjects course, and to tell the truth, I am stressing. Exams without 2 weeks notice and claiming they have been noticed months ago etc. My predicted ATAR at the start of these HSC years was to be above 90, but now it seems I think I will achieve possible less than 50 ATAR, due to poor teachers and the absent teachers that are regularly away due to sickness or age or pregnancy etc. I want to do engineering but my math classes are messed up, teachers absent, bad teacher etc. can i still do this course even though i may fail the HSC?

71. Hey Charlie,

Don’t give up on the HSC just yet! Even if you’re having troubles at school you can still succeed by studying the syllabus thoroughly and doing a lot of work in your own time. It can be tough to not have as much guidance but if you’re self guided and motivated then you can do well and this will set you up well for the more independent study of university life. Alternatively, look into distance education (some of my friends have done this where by they study from home and have contact with tutors via email and phone).

As for getting into Engineering, there are always options available no matter what your ATAR is in the end. Consider pathway institutions like SIBT and Non-Award. Have a look at this article for a easier to understand description of which pathways may be relevant to you and your ATAR: http://www.mq.edu.au/blogs/getsirius/2012/11/23/not-the-atar-you-wanted/

Good luck!!
    Alex :)

72. Hi,

I started uni this year and am currently doing a bachelor of social sciences (atar 77). I want to transfer to a Bachelor of Arts as soon as I Possible. I obtained an Atar higher than the required 75 for the Bachelor of Arts degree. Can I use my Atar to transfer or do I have to obtain a certain GPA?

Thanks

73. Hello Brenna,

If you’re currently studying at Macquarie then internally transferring to the Bachelor of Arts will be easy! All you need is a GPA of 2.0 (a Pass average) and to have completed 12 credit points of study (usually only 4 subjects). Your ATAR won’t be needed.

To see all the transfer requirements have a look at Table 2 down the bottom under ‘transfer to a different course’ on this page: http://studentadmin.mq.edu.au/undergrad/currentstudents/coursetransfer.html

If you are coming to Macquarie from another university then have a look at how to do so on this page: http://mq.edu.au/future_students/undergraduate/alternative_access/#Pathway%20for%20students%20wishing%20to%20transfer%20institutions

Good luck!
    Alex

74. I am currently in my first semester at SIBT, doing a Diploma of Arts. Next year I wish to do a double degree of arts with laws. If I was to get an exceptional GPA for my third semester at SIBT would I be able to matriculate into this double degree straight away, or would I have to achieve a high GPA at Macquarie in my first semester in 2014 first? If so, what GPA would I need to do so?

75. Hi Chanel,

As far as I know you cannot transfer directly into the Bachelor of Arts with the Bachelor of Laws, although you should talk to SIBT just in case you can under special circumstances. Normally however you would transfer from SIBT into the second year of a Bachelor of Arts at Macquarie after achieving a GPA of at least 1.5. This information can be found here: http://www.sibt.nsw.edu.au/courses/diploma-of-arts

Then you will need meet certain criteria in order to be accepted into the non-law quota. This includes completing at least 18 credit points (6 subjects) and a GPA of 3.0 (about a credit average). Then you can apply for admission to the non-law quota and once you’re in you take two introductory Law units and if you pass them you’re into the Bachelor of Arts with the Bachelor of Law degree for good. Details and application dates are on this page: http://www.law.mq.edu.au/future_students/combined_llb_programs/internal_transfer/

I would recommend speaking to an academic adviser about this so that you can set out a clear path for you to get to your end goal. A list can be found here: http://www.studentadmin.mq.edu.au/undergrad/currentstudents/advisers.html

Good luck! I hope you’ll be studying Law soon :)

Alex