Department of Linguistics
Emeritus Professor Pam Peters
BA Hons 1 U. Melb., MA Hons 1 U. Syd.
Pam Peters is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities (FAHA). She was appointed Emeritus Professor on her retirement in December 2007, having previously held a Personal Chair in Linguistics. She was Director of the Dictionary Research Centre at Macquarie University (2001-7), and a member of the Editorial Committee of the Macquarie Dictionary for its second, third and fourth editions (1991, 1997, 2005). She continues to supervise research students and projects in lexicography, lexicology, terminology and terminography, as an Adjunct Professor in Linguistics and Research Member of the Centre for Language Sciences, where she directs the TermFinder project, including LawTermFinder.
From her research on Australian and international English, Pam Peters has published several large monographs, including the Cambridge Guide to Australian English Usage (CUP 2007), the Cambridge Guide to English Usage (CUP 2004), and the Cambridge Australian English Style Guide (CUP 1995). Her Pocket Macquarie Writers Guide (1990) was translated and published in Chinese in 1998, and the Cambridge Guide to English Usage in 2011. She was editor of the language newsletter Australian Style from 1992 to 2008. At Macquarie University she led the compilation of computer corpora of Australian English (reference corpora including ACE and ICE-AUS), and is now President of the incorporated association of the Australian National Corpus. She has been a member of the ABC's Standing Committee on Spoken English (SCOSE) since 1996.
Pam Peters established the Postgraduate Program in Editing and Publishing at Macquarie University in 1989, and was its Director until her retirement. She continues to supervise research students for the Master of Editing and Publishing. Her interest in editorial style is reflected also in her convening the Style Council conferences (from 1986 on), and in contributions (six chapters) to the sixth edition of the Australian Government Style Manual (John Wiley 2002). She is a Distinguished Editor of the Australian Institute of Professional Editors.
A. Books I (authored and edited)
- Peters, Pam (2013) Cambridge Dictionary of English Grammar Cambridge University Press 391pp
- Peters, Pam (2011) Cambridge Guide to English Usage Chinese edition. Beijing, The Commercial Press and Cambridge University Press 778pp
- Peters, Pam, Collins, Peter and Smith, Adam (eds) (2009) Comparative Studies in Australian and New Zealand English: Grammar and Beyond. Amsterdam, John Benjamins 406pp
- Peters, Pam (2007) Cambridge Guide to Australian English Usage. Cambridge University Press 905pp.
- Peters, Pam (2005) A Word on Words. CAE Press 90pp.
- Delbridge, A, Bernard, J, Blair, D, Butler, S, Peters, P and Yallop, C (2005) The Macquarie Dictionary. Fourth Edition. Sydney, Macquarie Library 2504 pp.
- Peters, Pam (2005) The Cambridge Guide to English Usage. (South Asian Edition) Cambridge, Cambridge University Press 608pp.
- Peters, Pam (2004) The Cambridge Guide to English Usage. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press 608pp.
- Peters, Pam, Collins, Peter and Smith, Adam (2002) eds New Frontiers of Corpus Research. Amsterdam, Rodopi 330pp.
- Peters, Pam (1998) general editor Pocket Macquarie Writers Guide. Chinese Edition. Beijing FLTPR Press 599pp.
- Delbridge, A, Bernard, J, Blair, D, Butler, S, Peters, P and Yallop, C (1997) The Macquarie Dictionary. Third Edition. Sydney, Macquarie Library 2504 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1996) Cambridge Australian English Style Guide. Revised Paperback Edition. Melbourne, Cambridge University Press, 848 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1995) The Cambridge Australian English Style Guide. Melbourne, Cambridge University Press 848 pp.
- Delbridge, A, Bernard, J, Blair, D, Peters, P. and Butler, S, (1991) The Macquarie Dictionary. Second Edition. Sydney, Macquarie Library 2050 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1990) general editor Pocket Macquarie Writers Guide. Brisbane, Jacaranda 569 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1990) general editor Macquarie File Writers Guide. Brisbane, Jacaranda 228 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1989) general editor Macquarie Student Writers Guide. Brisbane, Jacaranda 495 pp.
- Peters, Pam, Macgregor, Robert and Blair, David (1987) Input-Output: writing resources for English students. Sydney, CCH Australia 115 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1985) Strategies for Student Writers. Brisbane, John Wiley 141 pp.
B. Books II (edited conference papers)
- Peters, Pam (2002) ed. From Local to Global English: proceedings of Style Councils 2001-2. Sydney, Dictionary Research Centre. 158 pp.
- Peters, Pam (2000) ed. Style in context: language at large: proceedings of Style Councils 1996, 1997 and 1999. Sydney, Dictionary Research Centre. 298 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1995) ed. Australian English in a pluralist Australia, proceedings of Style Council 1995. Sydney, Dictionary Research Centre. 194 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1994) ed. The National Language: proceedings of Style Council 1994. Sydney, Dictionary Research Centre 174 pp.
- Peters Pam (1993) ed. Style on the Move: proceedings of Style Council 1992. Sydney, Dictionary Research Centre 183 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1992) ed. Australian Style into the Nineties: proceedings of Style Councils 1990 and 1991. Sydney, Dictionary Research Centre 281 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1990) ed. Frontiers of Style: proceedings of Style Council 1987 and 1988. Sydney, Dictionary Research Centre 177 pp.
- Peters, Pam (1986) ed. Style in Australia: proceedings of Style Council 1986. Sydney, Dictionary Research Centre 196 pp.
C. Journal Articles and Chapters in Edited Books
- Peters, Pam and Collins Peter 2012 "Colloquial Australian English". In B Kortmann and K Lunkenheimer (eds) The Mouton World Atlas of Variation in English De Gruyter Mouton pp 585 - 595
- Peters, Pam and Burridge, Kate (2012) Areal features of English in Australia and New Zealand. In R Hickey (ed) Areal Features of the Anglophone World Berlin, De Gruyter Mouton pp.233- 258
- Peters, Pam (2012) Style and politeness: the case of the personal pronoun. In S Yamazaki and R. Sigley eds. Approaching variation through corpora: studies in honor of Toshio Saito. Bern, Peter Lang pp 347-370
- Peters, Pam (2012) Standard British English. In A Bergs and L Brinton (eds) Historical Linguistics of English 2 vols. Berlin, Mouton de Gruyter pp. 1879-1899
- Peters, Pam 2012 Usage Guides and Australian English: Prescription and Description. In A. Schroeder, U. Busse & R Schneider eds. Codification, Canons and Curricula: Description and Prescription in Language and Literature. Bielefeld English and American Studies v.4 Bielefeld: Aisthesis Verlag pp.247-264
- Wong, Deanna, Cassidy Steve and Peters, Pam (2011) Updating the ICE annotation system: tagging, parsing and validation. Corpora 6:2 115-144
- Peters, Pam (forthcoming; accepted August 2010) Variation, prescriptive writing and the evolution of English usage. In J Lo Bianco (ed.) Gift of the Gab. Canberra, Academy of the Humanities
- Peters, Pam (online 2009) International English and its construction. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 31:3
- Peters, Pam (2009 [published 2010]) International trends in English style and usage Clarity 62: 34-40
- Fernandez, Trinidad and Peters, Pam (online 2009) Transdisciplinary approaches to ESP for graduate students in architecture. In V Bhatia et al. eds Language for Professional Communication: Research, Practice and Training Asia-Pacific LSP and Professional Communication Association
- Peters, Pam (2009) The architecture of a multipurpose Australian National Corpus. In M Haugh, K Burridge, J Mulder, P Peters (eds) Selected Proceedings of the 2008 HCSNet Workshop on Designing the Australian National Corpus: Mustering languages. Somerville MA, Cascadilla
- Peters, Pam (2009) Australian English as a regional epicentre, in L Siebers and T Hoffmann eds. World Englishes: Problems, Properties, Prospects. Amsterdam, John Benjamins
- Peters, Pam (2009) Irregular verbs: regularisation and ongoing variability, in Peters, Collins and Smith eds.
- Peters, Pam (2009) The mandative subjunctive in spoken English, in Peters, Collins and Smith eds.
- Fernandez T, Florez de la Colina, M-A and Peters, P (2009) Terminology and terminography for architecture and building construction. Terminology 15:2
- Peters, Pam. and Funk, Yasmin (2009) NO in the lexicogrammar of English, in Peters, Collins and Smith eds.
- Peters, Pam (2008) "Australian and New Zealand English", in H Momma and M Matto eds The History of the English Language. Wiley-Blackwell pp 389-399
- Peters, Pam (2008) "Patterns of negation: the relationship between NO and NOT in regional varieties of English", in T Nevalainen, I Taavitsainen, P Pahta and M Korhonen eds. The Dynamics of Linguistic Variation: Corpus evidence on English past and present Amsterdam, John Benjamins pp.147-162
- Collins, Peter and Peters, Pam (2008) Australian English morphology and syntax, in K Burridge and B Kortmann eds. Varieties of English 3: the Pacific and Australia Berlin, Mouton de Gruyter
- Peters P, Jones A, Smith A, Winchester-Seeto T, Middledorp J and Petocz P (2008 ) "TermFinder: creating online termbanks of technical terms for early university study" Journal of Applied Linguistics 6:2 219-248
- Wong, Deanna and Peters, Pam (2007) A study of backchannels in regional varieties of English, using corpus markup as the means of identification. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics 12:4
- Peters Pam (2007) Similes and other evaluative idioms in Australian English, in P. Skandera ed. Idiom(s) and Culture(s) in English. Berlin, Mouton de Gruyter
- Peters, Pam, Tent, Jan and Fernandez, Trinidad (2006) Critical lexicography. In C Marello, ed. Euralex Proceedings 2006
- Peters Pam (2006) English usage: prescription and description, in B Aarts and A. McMahon eds Handbook of English Linguistics. Oxford, Blackwells Publishing
- Collins, Peter and Peters, Pam (2004) Australian English morphology and syntax, in B Kortmann ed. Varieties of English 2 vols. Berlin, Mouton de Gruyter
- Peters, Pam and Smith, Adam (2003) Text structure and segmentation in online documents, in S. Granger and S. Petch-Tyson, Extending the Scope of Corpus-Based Research Amsterdam, Rodopi pp. 71-88
- Peters, Pam (2002) Textual morphology from Gutenberg to the e-book, in A Fischer, G Tottie, H-M Lehmann eds Text Types and Corpora: Studies in Honour of Udo Fries Tübingen, Gunter Narr Verlag pp.77-90
- Peters, Pam and Taylor, Brian (2002) Low levels of style, in D Cruse, F. Hundsnurscher, M Job and P R Lutzeier eds Lexicology (Vol. 1) Berlin and New York, Walter de Gruyter pp. 709-804
- Peters, Pam (2001) Corpus evidence on Australian style and usage, in D Blair and P Collins eds. English in Australia Amsterdam, John Benjamins pp. 163-178
- Peters, Pam (2001) The Latin Legacy, in K Aijmer ed. Festschrift for Göran Kjellmer. Gothenburg, Gothenburg Studies in English pp. 81-93
- Peters, Pam (2001) Varietal effects, in B Moore ed. Who's Centric Now? Melbourne, Oxford University Press pp. 297-309
- Peters, Pam (2001) Kaleidoscope: a final report on the worldwide Langscape project. English Today 17:1 pp 9-20
- Peters, Pam (2000) Paradigm split in C Mair and M Hundt eds. Corpus Linguistics and Linguistic Theory. Amsterdam, Rodopi pp. 301-316
- Peters, Pam (2000) Orthography and Identity English Today 16:3 pp 37-41
- Peters, Pam (1999) Unfriendly Persuasion The Australian Editor 2. pp 9-12
- Peters, Pam (1999) How English is English? in The AMEP: 50 Years of Nation Building Adult Migrant Education Service CD ROM.
- Peters, Pam (1998) Australian English, in P Bell and R Bell eds Americanization and Australia Sydney UNSW Press pp 32-44
- Peters, Pam (1998) In quest of international English: mapping the levels of regional divergence, in A Renouf ed. Explorations in Corpus Linguistics Amsterdam Rodopi. pp 281-292
- Peters, Pam (1998) The survival of the subjunctive: evidence of its use in Australia and elsewhere English World-Wide 19:2 pp 87-102
- Peters, Pam and Young, Wendy (1997) English grammar and the lexicography of usage Journal of English Linguistics 25:4 pp 315-331
- Peters, Pam (1997) Micro- and macro-linguistics for natural language processing, in A Wichmann et al. eds. Teaching and Language Corpora London Longman, pp 175-184
- Peters, Pam and Delbridge Arthur (1997) Fowler's legacy, in EW Schneider ed. Festschrift in Honour of Manfred Goerlach Amsterdam John Benjamins, pp 301-318
- Peters, Pam (1996) In search of Australian style English Today 12:1 (1996) pp. 1-10
- Peters, Pam (1996) Comparative insights into comparison World Englishes 15.1 pp 57-68
- Peters, Pam (1994) American and British influence in Australian verb morphology, in U Fries et al. eds. Creating and Using English Language Corpora Amsterdam: Rodopi pp. 149-158
- Peters, Pam (1993) Corpus evidence on some points of usage, in J Aarts et al. eds. English language corpora: design, analysis and exploitation Amsterdam: Rodopi pp. 247-256
- Green, Elizabeth and Peters, Pam (1991) The Australian corpus project and Australian English ICAME Journal pp. 37-53
- Peters, P, Purvis, H, Martin, C and Jenkins, R (1990) Word frequencies from the Macquarie corpus; the newspaper files Working Papers of the Speech, Hearing and Language Research Centre Macquarie Universitypp. 13-92
- Peters, Pam and Fee, Margery (1989) New configurations: the balance of British and American features in Australian and Canadian English Australian Journal of Linguistics vol. 9 pp. 135-147
- Peters, Pam (1989) Render unto Caesar English Today 5:1 p. 46
- Peters, Pam and Delbridge, Arthur (1989) Standardisation in Australian English, in P Collins and D Blair edd. Australian English: the language of a new society Brisbane: Queensland University Press pp. 127-137
- Peters, P, Collins, P, Blair, D and Brierley, A (1988) The Australian corpus project: findings on some functional variants in the Australian press Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 11:1 pp. 22-23
- Collins, Peter and Peters, Pam (1988) The Australian corpus project, in M Kyto et al. ed. Corpus Linguistics, Hard and Soft. Amsterdam, Rodopi pp. 103-120
- Delbridge Arthur and Peters, Pam (1988) Dictator, gatekeeper, tally clerk or harmless drudge? in TL Burton and J Burton edd. Lexicographical and linguistic studies: essays in honour of G.W. Turner. Oxford: Boydell and Brewer pp. 35-44
- Peters, Pam (1987) Towards a corpus of Australian English ICAME Journal pp. 1-13
- Peters, Pam (1986) Writing across the curriculum in Australia ERIC ED 264 742 pp. 1-14
- Peters, Pam (1986) Getting the theme across: a study of the dominant function in the academic writing of university students, in B Couture ed. Functional Approaches to Writing: research perspectives. New York: Pinter/Ablex pp. 169-185
- Peters, Pam (1985) Survey of spelling variants in Australian newspaper style guides Working Papers of the Speech, Hearing and Language Research Centre, Macquarie University pp. 35-52
- Peters, Pam (1985) Between empire and ANZUS: orthographic adjustments in Australia, in J Clark ed. The Cultivated Australian = Beiträge zur Phonetik und Linguistik pp. 381-390
- Peters Pam (1985) Lexis and discourse structure The Writing Instructor. University of Southern California, pp. 138-143
- Martin, Jim and Peters, Pam, (1985) Exposition workshop, in R Hasan ed. Discourse on Discourse. Sydney, Applied Linguistics Association of Australia pp 61-92