Department of Linguistics
Associate Professor Mehdi Riazi
BA and MA Shiraz University; Ph.D. University of Toronto, Canada
Before joining the Department of Linguistics of Macquarie University in July 2009, I worked as lecturer, senior lecturer (assistant professor), and associate professor at Shiraz University, Iran where I taught and supervised postgraduate and doctoral students of English as a foreign language. Currently, I convene three units (APPL902, APPL924, and APPL701) of postgraduate and master of research (Mres) programs in the Department of Linguistics at Macquarie University where I also supervise Mres and doctoral students' theses. I have supervised to completion over 40 masters theses and 20 PhD dissertations (14 at Shiraz University and 6 at Macquarie University). The focus of my research is in second language education including issues related to curriculum, methodology, and assessment.
- Language Testing and Assessment
- Test Validation
- Literacy in a Second Language
- Second language Writing
- Reading in English as a Second or Foreign Language
- Second Language Learning and Teaching
- Curriculum Development and Evaluation
- Language Learning Strategies
- Text Analysis
- Teacher Education
Riazi, A.M. (in press). The Routledge Encyclopedia of Research Methods in Applied Linguistics. London: Routledge.
Johnson, R.C., & Riazi, A.M. (2015). Accuplacer Companion in a foreign language context: An argument-based validation of both test score meaning and impact. Papers in Language Testing and Assessment, 4(1), 31-58.
Riazi, A.M., & Candlin, C.N. (2014). Mixed-methods research in language teaching and learning: Opportunities, issues and challenges. Language Teaching, 47, 135-173.
Leaper, D., & Riazi, A.M. (2014). The influence of prompt on group oral tests. Language Testing, 31(2), 177-204.
Townley, A., & Riazi, A.M. (2014). Analysis of authentic legal negotiation: Implications for teaching contract negotiation to undergraduate law students. International Journal of Language Studies, 8(4), 49-76.
Riazi, A.M. (2013). Concurrent and predictive validity of Pearson (Academic) test. Papers in Language Testing and Assessment (PLTA), 2(2), 1-27.
Riazi, A.M., & Knox, J. (2013). An investigation of the relations between test-takers' first language and the discourse of written performance on the IELTS Academic Writing Test, Task 2 . ISSN 2201-2982. IELTS Research Report Series, No.2, 2013 © www.ielts.org/researchers
Murray, J., Riazi, A.M., & Cross, J. (2012). Test candidates' attitudes and their relationship to demographic and experiential variables: The case of overseas trained teachers in NSW, Australia. Language Testing, 29(4), 577-595.
Alhaqbani, A., & Riazi, A.M.(2012). Metacognitive awareness of reading strategy use in Arabic as a second language. Reading in a Foreign Language, 24(2), 231-255.
Heydari, P., & Riazi, A.M. (2012). Readability of Texts: Human Evaluation versus Computer Index. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 3 (1), 177-190.
Book Chapters (B2)
- Ling, A., Wang, W., Akamatsu, N., and Riazi, A.M. (2005). International TESOL Professionals and Teaching English for Glocalized Communication (TEGCOM). In A. S. Canagarajah (Ed.), Reclaiming the Local in Language Policy and Practice (pp. 197-225). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associations, Publishers. ISBN: 0-8058-4593-3
- Riazi, A.M. (2005). The Four Language Stages in the History of Iran. In A. Lin and P. Martin (Eds.), Decolonization, Globalization: Language-in-Education Policy and Practice (pp. 98-115 ). Clevedon, U.K.: Multilingual Matters. ISBN: 1-85359-825-9
Books Translated from English to Persian
- Riazi, A.M., & Rafie, H. (2000). Answer Book of Astronomy (by Ian Nicolson). Mashhad: Astan Quods Publications.
- Riazi, A.M. (2001). Teach Your Children How to Think (by Edward de Bono). Tehran: Peik-e Bahar Publications.
- Riazi, A.M., & Veisi, H. (2010). An Introduction to Social Constructionism (by Vivien Burr). Tehran : Sirvan Publications.
Published Articles in Refereed Journals (C1)
- Riazi, A. M. (1996). Project‑based Curriculum: A Step Toward Changing Teaching and
Learning. Iranian Research in Education, 5 & 6, 85‑99.
- Riazi, A. M., Lessard‑Clouston, M. and Cumming, A. (1996). Observing ESL Writing Instruction. Journal of Intensive English Studies, 10, 19‑31.
- Riazi, A. M. (1997).(ISI) Acquiring Disciplinary Literacy. Journal of Second Language Writing, 6(2), 105‑137.
- Cumming, A., and Riazi, A. M. (2000). (ISI) Building Models of Adult Second Language Writing Instruction. Learning and Instruction, 10, 55‑71.
- Riazi, A. M., and Assar, F. (2001). A Text Analysis of Persian Newspapers Editorials.
Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities of Shiraz University, 31 & 32, 175-192.
- Riazi, A.M., and Fiangol, P. (2002). A Genre Analysis of Academic Articles in Humanities. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities of Shiraz University, 35, 1-16.
- Shahini, G.H. and Riazi, A.M. (2001). A Needs Assessment for EAP Courses at Shiraz University. Indian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 27, 147-155.
- Riazi, A.M. and Mir, F. (2002). Sentence Combining Plus: Its Effect on Students' Writing Quality and Strategy Use. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 6(1), 231-237.
- Lin, A., Wang, W., Akamatsu, N., & Riazi, A.M. (2002). Appropriating English, expanding identities, and re-visioning the field: From TESOL to Teaching English for Glocalized Communication (TEGCOM). Journal of Language, Identity, and Education, 1(4), 295-316.
- Riazi, A.M. (2003). The invisible in translation: The role of text structure in translation. Journal of Translation, 7, 1-8.
- Riazi, A.M., & Razmjou, L. (2004). Developing some guidelines for the curriculum planning of the BA program in Translation. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 21(1), 28-39.
- Riazi, A.M., & Alvari, A. (2004). Strategy activation in learning English words. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 6(2), 199-203.
- Riazi, A.M., & Mihankhah, F. (2004). Collocations in Persian language. Kerman University Journal of Humanities, 15, 87-102.
- Mehrpour, S., & Riazi, A.M. (2004). The impact of text length on reading comprehension in English as a second language. The Asia EFL Journal,3 (6), Sept., 1-14.
- Riazi, A.M., & Kashefian, S. (2004). The role of gender and year of study in students' predispositions toward learner autonomy. ROSHD FLT, 19, 52-57.
- Riazi, A.M., & Rahimi, M. (2005). Iranian students' pattern of strategy use. The Journal of Asia TEFL , 2(1), 103-129.
- Riazi, A.M., & Razmjou, S.A. (2006). On the teaching methodology of Shiraz EFL institutes. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 46, 58-70.
- Razmjou, A., & Riazi, A.M. (2006). Do high-schools or private institutes practice communicative language teaching? A case study of Shiraz teachers in high-schools and private institutes. The Reading Matrix, 6(3), 340-363.
- Riazi, A.M., & Riasati, M.J. (2007). Language Learning Style Preferences: A Students Case Study of Shiraz EFL. Asian EFL Journal, 9, 97-125.
- Riazi, A.M., & Yaali, A. (2007). The impact of RC strategy use, proficiency, and gender on EFL reading comprehension performance. ROSHD FLT, 21, 50-55.
- Riazi, A.M., Sadeghi, F., & Zare, S. (2007). The effect of EFL students' L2 proficiency and age on their overall pattern of vocabulary learning strategy use. Iranian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 8, 87-107.
- Riazi, A.M., & Khodadadi, F. (2007). The effect of EFL students' level of proficiency and gender on their use of speaking strategies. Journal of Teaching English Language and Literature, 1(2), 99-117.
- Riazi, A.M., & Aryashokouh, A. (2007). Lexis in English Textbooks in Iran: Analysis of Exercises and Proposals for Consciousness-raising Activities. Pacific Association of Applied Linguists, 11, 17-34.
- Riazi, A.M. (2007). (ISI) Language-Learning Strategy Use: Perceptions of Female Arab English Majors. Foreign Language Annals, 40, 433-441.
- Riazi, A.M., & Babaei, N. (2008). Iranian EFL female students' lexical inferencing and its relationship to their L2 proficiency and reading skill. The Reading Matrix, 8(1), 186-195.
- Riazi, A.M., Mansoorian, M.A. (2008). Learning style preferences among Iranian male and female EFL students. Iranian EFL Journal, 2, 88-100.
- Forouzandeh, E., & Riazi, A.M., Sadighi, F. (2008). TEFL program evaluation at Master's level in Iran. Teaching English Language and Literature Society of Iran (TELLSI),2(6), 71-100.
- Heydari Tabrizi, H., Riazi, A.M., Parhizgar, R. (2008). On the translation evaluation methods as practiced in Iranian universities' BA translation program: The attitude of students. TELL, 2(7): 71-87.
- Riazi, A.M., Davoodi, Z. (2008). On the test methods and translation criteria used to assess Iranian student's translation in translation courses. Translation Studies, 6(21), 39-56.
- Rahimi, M., Riazi, A.M., & Saif, Sh. (2008). An investigation into the factors affecting the use of language learning strategies by Persian EFL learners. Canadian Journal of Applied Linguistics,11(2), 31-60.
- Tabei, S.Z., & Riazi, A.M. (2009). Medical sciences in the third millennium: An Avicennian approach. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 11, 4-9.
- Shahamat, F., & Riazi, A.M. (2009). The place of information technology in second language teaching in girl's high schools and private English institutes in Shiraz. Iranian EFL Journal, 4, 71-93.
- Bagheri, M.S., Yamini, M., & Riazi, A.M. (2009). Motivational and learning strategies of Iranian EFL Learners exposed to an E-Learning program. Journal of Teaching Language Skills (previously Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities), 1(1), (Serial 58(4)), 1-35. ISSN: 1020-8576
- Riazi, A.M., & Mosallanejad, N. (2010). Evaluation of learning objectives in Iranian high-school and pre-university English textbooks using Bloom's Taxonomy. TESL-EJ, 13(4), 1-16. http://tesl-ej.org/pdf/ej52/a5.pdf
- Riazi, A.M. (2010). (Book Review). Dornyei, Z. (2007). Research methods in applied linguistics. Perspectives, 17(1), 26-27.
- Riazi, A.M. (2010). (Book Review). Burdess, N. (2010). Starting statistics: A short, clear, guide. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage. Methodspace:
- Riazi, A.M. (2010). (Book Review). Garner et al. (2009). Teaching Research Methods in the Social Sciences. UK: Ashgate. Discourse and Society, 21(5), 609-611.
- Riazi, A.M. (2010). (Book Review). Peters, M.A. (2009). Academic Writing, Philosophy and Genre. Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell. Discourse Studies, 12(6), 810-812.
- Shahini, G., & Riazi, A.M. (2011). A PBLT approach to teaching ESL speaking, writing, and thinking skills. ELT Journal, 65(2), 170-180.
- Riazi, A.M., & Razavipour, K. (2011). (In) Agency of EFL teachers under the negative backwash effect of cnetralised tests. International Journal of Language Studies, 5(2), 263-282.
Abstracted in DOAJ.
- Razavipour, K., Riazi, A.M., & Rashidi, N. (2011). On the Interaction of Test Washback and Teacher Assessment Literacy: The Case of Iranian EFL Secondary School Teachers. English Language Teaching, 4(1), 156-161.
Papers in Conference Proceedings (E1)
- Riazi, A. M. (1995). Collaborative Learning Networks: A Social Impact of Information
Technology. Proceedings of the First Annual Conference of the Computer Society of Iran (pp. 257‑267). Tehran, Iran. Sanati Sharif University.
- Riazi, A. M. (1996). How Might Developing Countries' Distance Education System Benefit From Information Technology? Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference of Asian Association of Open Universities (pp. 198‑205). Tehran, Iran. November 14‑16, 1996.
- Riazi, A. M. (1996). Political Economy of Knowledge and the Role of Higher Education.
Proceedings of the First Annual Conference on Higher Education in Iran (pp. 89‑99). Tehran: Allameh Tabbatabie University. September 1996.
- Riazi, A.M. (1996). Academic Writing and Scientific Approach. Proceedings of the Writing Conference in Iran (pp. 95-105). Tehran: Institute for Educational Research. July 1996.
- Cumming, A. and Riazi, A. M. (1996). Building Models of Adult ESL/EFL Writing instruction. Proceedings of the Second Language Acquisition and Writing (pp. 7‑23). The University of Southampton.
- Riazi, A. M. (1999). The Contribution of Text Analysis to Translation. Proceedings of The Third Conference on Translation (pp. 222‑232). Tabriz: University of Tabriz, Iran. March 6‑8.
- Riazi, A.M. (1999). A Review of Research Methods in Humanities Research Projects Funded by Shiraz University. Proceedings of the First Methodology and Research Methods in Humanities (pp. 49-58). Shiraz, Iran, December 1999.
- Riazi, A. M. (2002). What Do Textbook Evaluation Schemes Tell Us? Proceedings of the 37th RELC International Conference (pp. 52-68). Singapore. June 2002.
- Riazi, A.M. and Afsarnia, M. (2003). Strategy Inventory for Listening Comprehension (SILC). Selected Papers from the 2002 International TESOL Arabia Conference (pp. 250-287). Abu Dhabi. March 2002.
- Riazi, A.M. (April 2005). Diversified Knowledge and Lack of Agreed-upon Paradigm. Paper presented at the First International Conference on Knowledge Production. Tehran, Islamic Azad University. April 13 & 14 2005.
- Riazi, A.M. (June 2005). Features of EAP textbooks: Insights from literature and book reviews. Proceedings of the First National Conference on ESP. Tehran, SAMT (pp. 35-45). June 9, 2005.
- Riazi, A.M. (27,28 Dey 85/17,18 Jan 2007). Frame of reference and the need to include higher level cognitive processes in textbooks. Proceedings of the First Conference on Textbooks. Tehran: SAMT.
- Riazi, A.M. (17, 18 Mehr 87/ 8, 9 Oct. 2008). The contribution of teaching English to higher-order thinking and cognitive processes. Proceedings of the 6th International TELLSI Conference. Guilan: Rasht.
|Assessing the assessments: Evaluating the appropriacy of instruments used to inform student admissions, student placement, and program review decisions at the college of the Marshall Islands||Completed|
The Group Oral Discussion: A Longitudinal Study
Investigating metacognitive awareness and actual use of reading strategies amongsecond language learners of Arabic in an academic context: An exploratory study
The effects of peer vs. teacher feedback: A longitudinal, multi-method study
Building the validity foundation for interpreter certification performance testing
A Study of Vocabulary Knowledge and Vocabulary Learning Strategies of Chinese EFL Learners
|Factors Predicting Proficiency in Japanese as a Foreign Language among adult JFL learners||In Progress|
|Reflective Teaching and Action Research among Local English Language Teachers in Hong Kong: Teachers' Attitudes and Contextual Factors||In Progress|
Setting and raising standards: creating and validating institutional standardized English reading and listening tests aligned to the Common European Framework Levels A2-B1 at a Japanese university
|Darby McGrath||The effect of direct and indirect comprehensive written feedback on EFL writing||In Progress|
Yogyakarta (indonesia) EFL teachers' conceptualisation of pedagogical content knowledge as represented in their instructional curriculum design and practices
|2011||Pearson Education||Investigating Scalability and Criterion-related (Concurrent and Predictive) Validity of PTE-Academic||Mehdi Riazi||Completed|
|2011||Educational Testing Service (ETS)-TOEFL||Performance on toefl ibt writing tasks vs. real-life academic writing tasks: implications for validity argument||Mehdi Riazi
|2010||IELTS||An Investigation of the Relations between Test Takers' L1 and the Discourse of Written Performance on the IELTS Academic Writing Test||Mehdi Riazi
|2009||MU Competitive Grant||International students' experiences of formative assessment: How postgraduate coursework international students interpret and perform formative assignment tasks||Mehdi Riazi