Department of Modern History, Politics and International Relations - Modern History
Welcome to Modern History
Modern History at Macquarie has a strong reputation for both its teaching and research. We offer diverse programs of study with particular strengths in Australian History, World and global History, and Europe and the West. We also offer exciting units in women's and gender history and the history of film and popular culture.
Modern History is made up of research-focused historians from diverse backgrounds who specialize in gender history, world history, postcolonial history, media history, European history and Australian history.
Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies in history will give you a broad range of essential workplace skills, developing your ability to think critically, construct logical arguments, and to write clearly and persuasively. Studying history will help you make sense of the world and your place in it.
News and Events
Dr Michelle Arrow and her collaborators Catherine Freyne and Timothy Nicastri (ABC Radio National Hindsight) have received the 2014 NSW Premier's History Awards - Multimedia History Prize for their radio production "Public Intimacies: The 1974 Royal Commission on Human Relationships."
Congratulations and Achievements:
- Dr Alison Holland has won the National Archives Frederick Watson Fellowship for 2013-14
- Professor David Christian will be on the American cable show the Colbert Report on November 12, 2013
Modern History in the media
- Dr Mark Hearn has an opinion piece in the Canberra Times today (6th May 2014) - a really great reflection on the Commission of Audit:
au/comment/what-kind-of- nation-do-you-want-to-live-in- 20140502-zr3hc.html
- Dr Alison Holland was the featured guest on Waleed Aly's RN Drive program a couple of weeks ago talking about the infamous frontier violence tablecloth held in the Australian History Museum's collection - you can listen to the segment here:
radionational/programs/drive/ historyonics3a-tablecloth- depicts-frontier-violence/ 5395586
- Dr Mark Hearn comments on 'History Shared Culpability' in the Canberra Times
au/comment/historys-shared- culpability-20140301-33taf. html
- Dr Mark Hearn comments on 'Neo-liberalism and politics' in the Canberra Times:
Modern History is proud to be the the birthplace of Big History and the home of its founder Professor David Christian. Through the work of the Big History Institute cutting-edge educational, research, and outreach initiatives are being pursued advancing Big History around the world. These include the Big History Project , a philanthropic initiative co-founded by Bill Gates and Professor David Christian. Big History tells the story of the universe from the Big Bang to our complex modern societies by drawing on insights from disciplines such as astronomy, physics, biology, archaeology, history and economics.
For further information on the Big History Project and other Big History Institute initiatives visit www.bighistoryinstitute.org/
The Self and History workshop
27 - 28 November 2014
The Modern History students journal
Vol. 2, No.1, April 2014
The Gallipoli Centenary Research Project
Completing the Story - Researching Gallipoli in the Turkish Military Archives
Modern History Office
Building W6A room 400
Balaclava Road Norht Ryde
NSW 2109, Australia
Tel: +61 2 9850 8879
Fax: +61 2 9850 6594
Study with us
Courses - 2014
Find the course that best suits you.