Department of English
Associate Professor Jane Messer
BA (Macq) MA (Johns Hopkins) DCA (UTS)
Jane Messer's writing and research is principally in the area of narrative fiction, in the genres of novel, short story, personal essay, and works for radio. Her current scholarly research focuses on work and identity, with a particular interest in maternal care as work. She is a former judge of the Australian Vogel Literary Award and former board member of the Australian Society of Authors.
- Hopscotch, Picador/Pan McMillan, 2015.
- Provenance , Vintage/Random House, 2007.
- Certifiable Truths- stories of love and madness , Editor and Contributor Jane Messer, Sydney: Allen & Unwin, 1998.
- Bedlam - anthology of sleepless nights , Selected and Edited by Jane Messer, Sydney: Allen & Unwin, 1996.
- Night by Night , Ringwood: McPhee Gribble/Penguin, 1994.
- 'Eat and Be Eaten', Griffith Review, Issue 42, 2013.
- 'Overboard', Wet Ink 24, September 2011.
- 'In My Bed, after Tracey Emin', poem, in Of Mothers and Death: from Procreation to Creation, eds E. Lamothe, P. Sardin, J. Sauvage. Pessac: Presses Universitaires de Bordeaux, 2008
- "Mermaid of Cockatoo", Traveller's Tales: Best Stories Under the Sun 2 , eds Michael Wilding and David Myers, Rockhampton: Outback Books, 2005.
- "These Withered Hands Doth Us Do Part", Certifiable Truths , ed Jane Messer, Sydney: Allen & Unwin, 1998.
- "Plump Girls Pinched with Butter", Women Love Sex , ed Susan Johnson, Sydney: Random House, 1996. Also in Mississippi Review, Fall 2002.
- 'Reconceptualising Maternal Work: Dejours, Ruddick and Lionel Shriver's We Need to Talk about Kevin', forthcoming in Women's Studies International Forum, Issue 38C, June/July 2013.
- 'Practicing Interdisciplinarity' in TEXT: Special Issue No 14 Beyond Practice-led Research, (Eds.) Paul Magee & Scott Brook. October 2012 (n.p.). http://www.textjournal.com.au/
- 'Churned and Spurned in the Flexible World of Work', Cultural Studies Review, vol.16 no.2 September 2010.
- "Up the Highway to Campus Optus", TEXT, Vol 13, No1. The Art of the Real Special Issue, at http://www.textjournal.com.au/speciss/issue5/content.htm
- 'Chapter 3, "Being Impossible, Narratives of Mothering" in Of Mothers and Death: from Procreation to Creation, eds E. Lamothe, P. Sardin, J. Sauvage. Pessac: Presses Universitaires de Bordeaux, 2008.
- "Mothering and Resistance", review, in Australian Feminist Studies, Vol. 23, No. 56, June 2008.
- "The Making of a Man", New Writing - Journal of the Theory and Practice of Creative Writing, Issue 1, Vol 1, 2004.
- "The Maternal Heroine", Cultural Studies Review , Vol 11, No1, March 2005.
- Book reviews and criticism have been published in Australian Book Review , Sydney Morning Herald , The Australian's Review of Books , Books and Writing (ABC Radio National) , The Independent Monthly and various other journals.
- Dear Dr Chekhov, Soundproof, Radio National, Australian Broadcasting Commission, August 2015.
- Mermaid of Cockatoo. Airplay, Radio National, Australian Broadcasting Commission, February 2007, September 2009 (repeat).
Download or listen to mp3 (31.87 MB)
- Office of Learning and Teaching (OLT), Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning 2014
- Supervising Editor and Founder, The Quarry journal
- Program Leader: Master of Arts and Postgraduate Certificate in Arts - specialisation in Creative Writing; Graduate Certificate in Arts - Major in Creative Writing.
- Lecturer and Convenor ENGL307; ENGL390; CWPG postgraduate units.
- Supervision of creative PhD candidates.
- Member, University Senate Learning and Teaching Committee
- Member, Faculty of Arts Creative Works Research Sub-Committee.
- Program Director, Master and Graduate Diploma in Creative Writing Program