This is the Home Page of the Society for the Study of Early Christianity.
SSEC is an organisation based in Sydney NSW Australia at the Macquarie University. If you want to know more about us & our background then view the web page about us.
If you would like to become a member of the society then go to our web page on membership.
Or if you want to contact us by phone or by snail mail or by email see the web page called contact us.
Enjoy our website!
What's new at SSEC: Busy Month of May 2013
There are a number of SSEC and Non-SSEC lectures this month. Many will be of special interest to SSEC members. They are as follows:
Tuesday 14 May 2013 - Free MAHRS (Macquarie Asian Historical Research Society) Lecture
Dr Edward Bridge (MQ PhD) with topic Early Christianity: 'Eastern' or 'Western'? Time: starts at 6:00 pm at Macquarie Uni room W6A107 - cost: free. More information from Lyndon Arden-Wong or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday 15 May 2013 - Joint MAHRS (Macquarie Asian Historical Research Society) & SSEC lecture
Dr Kranti K. Farias (Mumbai) Topic: The Testament People of India. Visiting specialist on Jewish and Christian Communities in India, and Former President of the Church History Association of India. From 1:00pm to 2:00pm Venue: W6A 308 (confirmed) More information from Lyndon Arden-Wong or email to email@example.com
Saturday 18 May 2013 - Special Lecture (NSW Council for Christians and Jews)
Professor Amy Levine, the author of Jesus the Misunderstood Jew in 2006, a prolific writer, and energetic world traveller, and now the editor of the Jewish Annotated New Testament a MUST read and resource for all Christians and Jews. She is professor of New Testament at Vanderbilt University, USA.
- She is giving ONLY ONE lecture in Sydney on Saturday May 18 at 7.00 pm at Emanuel Synagogue 7 Ocean Woollahra NSW.
- Please RSVP (as seats are filling up fast) to: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 9390 5168.
Wednesday 22 May 2013 - The Alan Crown Memorial Lecture (Uni of Sydney)
Associate Professor Ian Young will give the annual Alan Crown Memorial lecture for Sydney University on Daniel 8: How to Read an Apocalypse. This is organised by the Department of Hebrew, Biblical and Jewish Studies at Sydney University in conjunction with Mandelbaum House.
- Wednesday 22 May 2013 from 4:15pm to 5:30pm - the talk will start promptly at 4:25pm.
- Venue: Mandelbaum House, 385 Abercrombie Street Darlington NSW.
- Entry is free
- Coffee, tea and cake available from 4:00pm
- Further information from Ian.Young@sydney.edu.au
Thursday 30 May 2013 - The Next SSEC Lecture (Macquarie Uni)
In conjunction with the Sir Asher Joel Foundation, Rev Dr James Harding (Sir Asher Joel visiting Fellow to Macquarie University & University of Otago NZ) with his topic: Surpassing the Love of Two Women: on the Reception of David & Jonathan. Rev Dr James Harding is an eminent scholar of the Hebrew Bible/ Old Testament Studies at the University of Otago New Zealand.
Plus Dr Deslee Campbell, an early Christian and Jewish Studies specialist, will give a short introductory presentation on an exciting find in Israel - A recent discovery of a pre-Constantinian church near Tel Megiddo.
- Venue: Macquarie University at the Museum of Ancient Cultures X5B room 321
- Time: 7:05pm
- Parking: As Macquarie Uni enforces parking charges up to 8:00pm daily. As lectures start at 7:05pm, attendees needonly pay for one hour parking.
- Cost: no charge but a $5 donation would be welcomed.
- Light kosher style supper provided afterwards
- RSVP for catering purposes: email@example.com or phone 0439-817299
- further details : SSEC@mq.edu.au or leave us a message on our answering machine at (02) 9850 7512
More - What's new at SSEC
Conference Proceedings 2013
Papers from SSEC Sat 4 May 2013 Conference : Church and Synagogue: the Interaction between Jews and Christians in Antiquity
- For even more details about our conference - including photos and biographies of our speakers and abstracts of their talks/papers see the Conference Proceedings 2013 website.
- These details will be loaded onto the website as they become available.
SSEC 2013 Activities are now available
Join us on Facebook
Join us on Academia.edu
- Go to the SSEC Academia page.
- or copy this into your browser http://mq.academia.edu/SocietyfortheStudyofEarlyChristianitySSEC