Department of Ancient History - Community Partners
SSEC Annual Conference: Sat 3 May 2014
SSEC Conference 2014
Theme - "Christ or Caesar? Render Unto Caesar?"
Tiberius Caesar Augustus, (photo by BJ Eyland)
- At our "Conference Curtain Raiser" on the Thursday night, 1 May 2014,
- Venue: Museum of Ancient Cultures X5B 321
- Time: 7:05 pm
- Costs: $5 members /$8 non-members
- RSVP: via email to SSEC@mq.edu.au
- We will have two guest speakers and afterwards a light super with tea & coffee.
- Parking costs: Macquarie University enforces parking charges up to 8:00pm daily. Parking charges are $6 fo 1 hour, $10 for 3 hours, $20 all day. (rates for 2013) As seminars start at 7:05pm, attendees need only pay for one hour.
- Our day conference will be held on the Saturday 3 May 2014.
- Venue: Robet Menzies College, 136 Herring Road, Macquarie Park, just near the Macquarie Uni Railway Station.
- Time: TBA (To Be Advised). [Possibly - Registrations at 8:45am for a 9:15 am start, and we hope to finish slightly earlier than in previous years (approx 4:45pm). ]
- Costs: TBA (To Be Advised)
- RSVP: please return registrations form with your payment details to The Secretary, Dr Don Barker, SSEC Office / Ancient History, Faculty of Arts, Macquarie University, NSW 2109.
- Parking: TBA (To Be Advised)
- However, we suggest you travel by public transport.: namely by government bus or by train - alight at the closest railway station which is called "Macquarie Universtity" and then a short walk.
Our Visiting Speaker will be Professor Brigitte Kahl (Columbia University NY). She is also the Professor of New Testament at the Union Theological Seminary in New York. Brigitte Kahl is an innovative New Testament scholar whose work has been groundbreaking in Pauline studies. She brings a new perspective to Biblical scholarship by analyzing the dynamic relationship between the New Testament and the Roman Empire. We are very excited that she is coming to speak to us.
Professor Brigitte Kahl
Conference Papers: Apply before 30 Nov 2013
We are gratified that so many quality speakers wish to speak at our annual conference. The SSEC conference sub-committee is looking to select eight speakers (including our visiting speaker outlined above) for our curtain raiser evening and for the day conference in 2014.
Senior Post-graduates, Academics and Staff at Tertiary Institutions may apply if they have well advanced papers. We will be preparing the conference timetable, conference brochure, and finalizing speakers in the fourth quarter 2013. If you fit our criteria, and have a well-advanced paper pertinent to the conference topic, you are invited to send an abstract of 200 words, with a suitable portrait photo and your biographical details.
Apply before 30 November 2013 by email to SSEC@ mq.edu.au . The information will be forwarded onto the SSEC conference sub-committee for their consideration.
Also if the paper is not used for the conference, it might in some circumstances be possible to give the paper/talk in a separate session to SSEC members. This may occur at one of our lunchtime or evening SSEC events, or may be published in a future SSEC newsletter.
Conference Brochure/ Program
Full conference brochure in colour - with list of speakers, program/ timetable and all conference details including costs, venue, parking etc will be forward with our March 2014 eNewsletter # 78. (or via snail mail with our March 2014 paper Newsletter #78).
The Society for the Study of Early Christianity holds an annual conference in May each year. Join us at this special annual event next year: Sat 3 May 2014.
SSEC 2014 Conference Program Details
SSEC Office - (02) 9850 7512 (please leave message on SSEC office answering machine).
Dr Don Barker (02) 9850 9962
Professor Alanna Nobbs (02) 9850 8844
Ancient History Office (02) 9850 8833
SSEC office email: SSEC@mq.edu.au Lyn Kidson or Angela Abberton.
SSEC Speakers in previous years
Keynote Speaker for 2013 was Professor James McLaren, Professor of Ancient History and Biblical Studies in the Faculty of Theology and Philosophy at Australian Catholic University. He is also currently the Associate Dean (Research) for the Faculty and is a member of the Centre for Early Christian Studies.
Dr Konstantinos D. Politis, who is currently Director of the Hellenic Society for Near Eastern Studies in Greece. Speaker for 2012.
Prof Laurence WELBORN is Professor of New Testament Studies at Fordham University New York & Macquarie Uni. Speaker at the 2006, 2010, 2011 & 2012 SSEC Conferences.
Prof John T. FITZGERALD is the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies at the University of Miami. Speaker at the 2011 SSEC Conference.
Professor Beverly GAVENTA is the Helen HP Manson Professor of New Testament Interpretation & Exegesis at Princeton Theological Seminary. Speaker at the 2009 SSEC Conference.
Associate Professor Kim HAINES-EITZEN, Cornell University. Speaker at 2008 SSEC Conference
Dr Felicity HARLEY-MCGOWAN lectures in Medieval Art History at the Uni of Melbourne, School of Culture & Communication at Trinity College Theological School. Speaker at the 2010 SSEC Conference.
Professor Lucy-Anne HUNT of Manchester Metropolitan University is an expert in Byzantine, Coptic and Christian-Muslim art & culture in the Middle Ages. Speaker at the 2010 SSEC Conference.
Professor Judith LIEU is the Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity and Fellow of Robinson College, Cambridge University. Speaker at the 2009 SSEC Conference.
Useful Downloads in PDF
- Conference 2014 Registration and Payment form TBA (To Be Advised)
- Conference 2014 Program Details TBA (To Be Advised) list of Speakers, topics and timetable.
- Conference 2014 Colour Brochure TBA (To Be Advised) - combines full program, list of speakers, topics, timetable and registration form.
Note: Full conference brochure in colour - with list of speakers, program/ timetable and all conference details including costs, venue etc will be forward to SSEC members with our March 2014 eNewsletter # 78. (or via snail mail with our March 2014 paper Newsletter #78).
SSEC 2014 Conference Proceedings
Details & photos of speakers, Bios, abstracts. SSEC 2014 Conference Proceedings - Coming soon. It is hoped that speakers will supply copy of their papers, or handouts, or slide shows or images after the conference.
Past SSEC Conference Proceedings
May 2013 SSEC Conference : Church and Synagogue: the Interaction between Jews and Christians in Antiquity. Go to the Conference Proceedings 2013 web page.
May 2012 SSEC Conference : Desert Sands - Desert Secrets: Archaeology, the Bible & Early Christianity. Go to the Conference Proceedings 2012 web page.
May 2011 SSEC Conference Corinth: Paul, People and Politics. Go to the SSEC 2011 Conference Proceedings web page.