News and events
Sign up on our Winter Promo!
Want to excel during Winter? Macquarie University Sport Programs are offering members a Winter special, running from Monday 17 July - Monday 11 September 2017.
Members who book into an additional Swimming, Gymnastics or Mini Mac Martial Arts lesson will receive a 50% discount on that booking.
BOOKINGS OPEN MONDAY 17 JULY
For full terms & conditions, please contact the Programs Administration Team on 9850 7636 (then press option 1 for Swim School or option 2 for Gymnastics).
Let your kids find balance, strength and flexibility through having lots of fun
Let your kids find balance, strength and flexibility through having lots of fun in our engaging Gymnastics programs
Our lessons aren’t all about somersaults and flips; our coaches place emphasis on the fundamentals of gymnastics to ensure the kids can develop their confidence on and off the gymnastics floor.
We offer classes for every level of ability – from our Kinder Gym program right up to our Advanced Recreation program, before transitioning into our Adults Gymnastics program.
Kinder-Gym program (18 months – 5 years old)
Class size: 12 students
The Kinder Gym program provides the opportunity to develop fundamental movement skills, fine and gross motor skills and coordination.
Play gym level (45 minutes)
Class Size: 12 Students
- Parents are required to accompany their child during the Play Gym classes and this provides a fun bonding and learning activity for both child and parent.
Junior Gym (45 minutes)
Class Size: 8 Students
- Children are introduced to the concept of a structured class and learning basic gymnastics principles. The emphasis is on having a fun and productive skill development.
- Children get the opportunity to practice all the basic gymnastics motor movements in a safe and encouraging environment.
- The children will get to learn and use all the apparatus in the gym.
Recreational gymnastics (School-aged: 5 yrs +)
Class size: 10 students
Our Recreational Gymnastics program run for school-aged children every day. This program is designed to promote safe progression through the various skills and levels of gymnastics. Macquarie University Gymnastics is one of the largest recreational gymnastics clubs within NSW.
The aim of our Recreational Gymnastics Program is to develop strength, flexibility, co-ordination, spatial awareness and balance along with a specific set of skills for each level. Children develop these skills through a fun, safe and engaging gymnastics class focusing on gymnastics fundamentals and a friendship philosophy.
Water (1 hour)
- The Water level focuses on fundamental gymnastic skills along with basic shaping, strength and flexibility; generally, children will come from our Kinder Gym program or have little to no experience in gymnastics. It is expected that children are able, to follow direction and be familiar with a class situation.
- Many of the fundamental skills in gymnastics are taught in the Water level, including shaping, entries to handstands and cartwheels, forward and backward rolls, correct landing techniques and basic trampoline skills.
- Water is divided into two streams - White and Blue.
Fire (1 hour)
- Children in Fire generally will have had some experience in the fundamentals of gymnastics and will often have progressed from our Water level.
- Fire is our intermediate gymnastics class and is suitable to children who already have a basic grounding in gymnastics.
- This level will further develop shaping, strength and flexibility, with the aim to reinforce good technique in preparation for more advanced skills.
- Children in this level will learn bridge, full handstands and basic tumbling on floor, swings on bars, balances on the low beam and somersaults into the foam pit.
- Fire is divided into two streams - Yellow and Red.
Air (2 hours)
- Air is our advanced skill development gymnastics class and is appropriate for advanced children who don't want to be competitive gymnasts.
- Children frequently will have had formal gymnastics experience and will often have progressed from our Fire level.
- Air introduces leaps, handstands and cartwheels to the beam and children within Air will start work on forward and backward handsprings and releases and catches on bars.
- Air is divided into two streams - Pink and Purple.
Private Classes (1 student, 30 minutes)
- Private lessons are offered to all age groups and the teacher is there to cater to your children's specific needs.
Competitive program (by invitation)
Class size: 10 students
Macquarie University gymnastics offers both development programs and competitive gymnastics for levels 1-5 Women’s Artistic Gymnastics and levels 1-3 in Men’s Artistic Gymnastics.
Women's Junior Development (2 – 4 hours per week):
- The Women's Junior Development program is aimed at developing young girls who demonstrate gymnastics talent, with the aim of feeding them into our competitive women's gymnastics' program in the future.
Men's Junior Development (2 – 4 hours per week):
- The Men's Junior Development program is aimed at developing young men who demonstrate gymnastics talent, with the aim of feeding them into our competitive men's gymnastics' program in the future.
Competitive Gymnastics – Men’s and Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (6-12 hours per week):
- Building strength and prepares the body for all of life's physical challenges
- Enhances coordination and agility
- Develops posture and confident body movement
- Challenges the mind to reach new goals
- Develops healthy minds and bodies for now and later in life
- Enhancing coordination and agility, for body awareness and balance
- Enhancing creativity and build self-confidence, for sport and life
As your child or teenager grows and progresses through the skill levels, they will eventually join the grownups in our adult gymnastics program.