Secondary School Ancient History Programs
The Museum of Ancient Cultures offers Education Programs for years 7, 11 and 12 in Ancient History in line with the NSW junior and senior Ancient History syllabuses. Other secondary school years can be accommodated if teachers are offering their students special programs in school. Schools attend our education programs from all over NSW and the ACT.
The programs are conducted by the Museum's Education Officers who are trained educators. Their skills, talents and subject specialties are matched to suit the requirements of the programs on offer.
The program is offered either In-House or as an Away Program.
The content of these programs can be tailor-made to suit the needs of the individual schools or can be organised along more general lines to meet school requirements.
The In-House programs are divided into 3 sessions:
- an interactive PowerPoint presentation to challenge and stimulate students
- a Hands-On session where students are given gloves and set out to develop their cognitive skills by working directly with ancient artefacts (by problem solving, analysis and use of evidence), and
- a conducted tour of the Museum itself, involving further exercises in interpretation of archaeological material.
(In the Away Program, other activities are substituted for the Museum tour.)
The cost of the In-House program is $20.90 per student, including GST (ie. $19.00 + $1.90 GST - schools are able to recover the GST component). The program runs from 10.00am to approximately 1.00pm from Monday to Friday (or at other times by arrangement).
The Away Program has been devised for schools (primarily country schools) where there is a difficulty getting to the University. In the past we have travelled such vast distances across NSW, that we have the most geographically-extensive education program in the world.
Where an Away Program is organised, the charge per student is slightly higher to cover the costs of travel and insurance. Currently this cost is $25.00 including GST.
Bookings for the Education Program
For bookings on-line, email us at email@example.com .
She will happily organise your bookings and discuss your particular requirements.
Morning Tea and Lunch Breaks
For the In-House program, there is a short morning tea break after the end of the first session and once the next two sessions are completed, finalising the Education Program, school groups are able to go off for lunch before heading back to their schools.
Those who bring packed lunches and drinks may sit on the grassed areas close to the Museum to have their lunch, weather permitting. Those wishing to purchase lunch on campus can do so at the University's eating facilities.
Many schools who have travelled some distance by bus, often opt to stop for lunch while on their journey back to school.
School Excursion Risk Management Document
For teachers organising a school excursion to the Museum of Ancient Cultures, we have done the Risk Management document for you in PDF format.
You can download this PDF by clicking here and attach it to the documentation you need for the school excursion.
Other Education Programs
The Museum has also designed specific programs for other groups:
- upper Primary School Programs for Years 5 and 6
- programs to suit secondary Gifted and Talented students
- programs for those studying Classical Greek or Latin
- programs such as Face to Face with the New Testament, for those studying secondary Religious or Biblical Studies, or for church and community groups
- historical or cultural programs for Years 8, 9 or 10 where the school may need special programs in a particular subject area (eg. Art; D&T).
- students with disabilities can be accommodated in the Education Programs.
We ask that excursion organisers discuss these students' needs in advance with us, so that we can enhance their visit as much as possible.