Order new material
Policy and Procedures for Ordering
The development of the Macquarie University Library collection is guided by three core principles:
- Macquarie University is committed to developing and maintaining a shared collection of published materials to support its research, teaching, learning, community engagement and related activities.
- Macquarie University makes this published material available through one central physical and electronic Library collection, freely accessible to all members of the University and to members of the community where this is permissible by law.
- The selection of published materials for the Library collection is a partnership between staff and the Library.
The Library's Collection Development and Evaluation Committee develops and reviews policy, guidelines, procedures and processes and makes recommendations for changes to these to the University Librarian as appropriate.
The University funds the purchase of published materials in two ways:
- Purchase of Published Material from Library Funds
Library funds are used to build the shared Library collection.
For more information on how to place an order with the Library, go to
Library BookVote Funds ordering procedures.
- Purchase of Working Copies of Published Materials from Non-Library Funds
Non-Library funds, including research grants, may be used to purchase working copies of published material. Working copy purchases are not handled by the Library.
Collection building priorities and deadlines
The Library recognises that new research and teaching directions require support through the purchase of relevant Library resources. The collection building priorities process enables academic staff to recommend the purchase of resources to develop the Library's collection in new areas especially in relation to resources purchased on a subscription basis.
Current priorities and deadlines are outlined in the Library Collection Priorities and Ordering Process.
Collection building key dates 2017
|22 January||Closing date for receipt of Session 1 reading list material for Reserve|
|30 April||New journal and database proposals deadline for subscriptions to commence 2018. List for 2017 now closed.|
|1 May||List for 2018 new journal and databases proposals opened|
|30 June||Closing date for receipt of Session 2 reading list material for Reserve|
|4 November||Closing date for receipt of Session 3 reading list material for Reserve|