Macquarie University was founded in 1964 to be a radical and unconventional addition to the New South Wales tertiary education market. Fifty years on, Macquarie University is still different.
Macquarie is proudly a university of service and engagement - engaging students and staff through transformative learning and life experiences, and serving the world through discovery, dissemination of knowledge and ideas, innovation and deep partnerships.
Our unique location, in the heart of Australia's largest high-technology precinct, provides benefits for staff and students through an environment of outstanding research and innovation, and through learning and teaching opportunities with world-leading organisations.
Our purpose, vision and values
Macquarie is a university of service and engagement:
- we serve and engage our students and staff through transformative learning and life experiences
- we serve and engage the world through discovery, dissemination of knowledge and ideas, innovation and deep partnerships.
We aspire to be:
- a destination of choice for students and staff who share our values
- deeply connected with our stakeholders and partners, and known for this globally
- ranked among the highest performing research universities of Australia and, for key disciplines, to be recognised globally for our pre-eminence
- known across Australia and beyond as custodians of a remarkable university campus that blends the vibrancy of a cosmopolitan university village with a setting of Australian natural bushland.
As custodians of Macquarie University, we value:
We believe learning, enquiry and discovery improves lives.
We conduct ourselves ethically, equitably, and for mutual benefit.
We make our community a source of strength and creativity.
Through our actions, as staff and students, we live these values and it is against them that we hold ourselves accountable.