Head of Department & Associate Professor
Health Systems and Populations, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- development and delivery of quality educational programs in the areas of public health, global health, health care systems and related disciplinary areas,
- accelerating departmental research activity including recruiting graduate research students,
- collaborating within and between Faculties in academic endeavours,
- engaging with key stakeholders, and
- managing the performance of Departmental staff and resources.
- Master of Public Health
- Health Law
- Global Health Law
- Health and Human Rights
- Serena Purdy, Cotutelle, University of Toronto, Formal and Informal Institutions Governing Assisted Human Reproductive Technologies (AHRTs): Comparative Politics in Ontario, Canada and Victoria, Australia, 2016 (enrolled)
- Uchechukwu Ngwaba (Associate Supervision of PhD in Law). How an engagement with the language of human rights can form the basis for reform of the health care systems of Nigeria. 2014 (enrolled)
- Vanessa White (External Supervision of PhD Candidate in Law at Adelaide University) – Relational aspects of assisted reproduction and the disclosure of information to donor conceived people, 2010-2014 (Conferred)
- Caitlin MacMillan, The Effect of Anonymous Donation on Donor Conceived People, 2016 (enrolled)
- Annica Leal, The Invisible Plaintiff: An examination of maternal liability where religious freedoms conflict with the rights of an unborn child, 2015
- Stephanie Fehone, The Patenting of Human Genes, Implications Access to Medical Treatment, 2015 (Completed)
- Richard Smith, The regulation of end of life decision making, euthanasia and assisted suicide in Australia, 2014 (Completed)
- Sonia Allan, Donor Conception: From Secrecy and Anonymity to Openness (forthcoming, Ashgate Publishing)
- Sonia Allan and Meredith Blake, The Patient and the Practitioner: Health Law and Ethics in Australia (2014) Lexis Nexis.
- Sonia Allan, 'The Surrogate in Commercial Surrogacy: Legal and Ethical Consideration'. (2015) in Paula Gerber (Ed) Surrogacy, Human Rights and the Law (Ashgate Publishing, United Kingdom).
- Sonia Allan, 'Screening Applicants for Assisted Reproduction' in Nicky Praulx (Ed) Ethics Law and Society 2012 United Kingdom, Ashgate Publishing (2013)
- Butterworths, Legal Encyclopedia (2016) (Health, Medical, Negligence)
- Butterworths, Legal Dictionary (5th Ed, 2015) (General legal, Medical, Negligence)
- Butterworths, Legal Dictionary (4th Ed, 2011) (General legal, Negligence)
Articles - Refereed (Peer Reviewed)
- Sonia Allan, 'Donor Identification: Victoria Gives Rights to All Donor Conceived People'(pending, July 2016) Family Matters.
- Sonia Allan, 'Access to Information about Donors by Donor Conceived Individuals: A Human Rights Analysis' (2013) 20 Journal of Law and Medicine 655.
- Sonia Allan, 'Deciding on access to donor-conception information' (2012) 37(4) Alternative Law Journal 272, 272.
- Sonia Allan, 'Donor Identification Kills Gamete Donation'? A Response to Professor Pennings' (2012) 27(12) Human Reproduction 3380.
- Sonia Allan, 'Donor Conception, Secrecy, and the Search for Information' 19(4) Journal of Law and Medicine (June 2012).
- Sonia Allan, 'Gate-keeping Parenthood: The Law and Access to Assisted Reproductive Treatment' (2012) 2(3) Family Law Review 149.
- Sonia Allan, 'Psycho-Social, Ethical and Legal Arguments For and Against the Retrospective Release of Information about Donors to Donor-Conceived Individuals in Australia' (2011) 19(1) Journal of Law and Medicine 354.
- Sonia Allan, 'Regulatory Design Strategies and Enforcement Approaches for Research Involving Human Embryos and Cloning in Australia and the United Kingdom: Time for a Change' (2010) 32(4) Sydney Law Review 617.
- Sonia Allan, 'Recognition of Same-Sex Parenting in Australia: South Australia, the Final Frontier?' (2010) 35(4) Alternative Law Journal 227.
- Sonia Allan and Glenda Jackson, 'The What, Whys and Wherefores of Home Education and its Regulation in Australia' (2010) 15(1) International Journal of Law and Education 23.
- Glenda Jackson and Sonia Allan, 'Fundamental Elements in a Child's Right to Education: A Study of Home Education Research and Regulation in Australia' (2010) 2(3) International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education, 350. http://www.iejee.com/2_3_2010/349-364.pdf
- A.Boneh (MD), Sonia Allan, et al. 'Clinical, Ethical and Legal Considerations in the Treatment of Newborns with Non-Ketotic Hyperglycinaemia' (2008) 94(2) Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 143-147.
- S Magri, Research on Human Embryos and Cloning: Difficulties of Legislating in a Changing Environment and Model Approaches to Regulation, 12(4) Journal of Law and Medicine (May 2005).
Articles - Un-refereed (Non-Peer Reviewed)
- Damian Adams and Sonia Allan, 'Building a Family Tree: Donor-Conceived People, DNA Tracing and Donor 'Anonymity'' 7(2)Australian Journal of Adoption, (2013) (available athttp://www.nla.gov.au/openpublish/index.php/aja/article/view/3024/3520)
- Sonia Allan, 'Same Sex Relationships in Australia' (2011) 23(4) Legal Date, 5.
- Sonia Allan and Glenda Jackson, 'Home Education and Policy' (2010) 19(4) Australian Council for Educational Leaders Directions in Education.
- S. Magri, 'Research on Human Embryos, Stem Cells and Cloning: One Year since the Passing of Australian Federal Legislation' (2003) 10 Murdoch University E Law Journal.
- J. Seymour and S. Magri, ART, Surrogacy and Legal Parentage: A Comparative Legislative Review (2004). Occasional Paper commissioned by Victorian Law Reform Commission.
- Sonia Allan 'Baby Gammy Reveals Murky Side of Commercial Surrogacy', The Conversation 5 August, 2014 at https://theconversation.com/baby-gammy-case-reveals-murky-side-of-commercial-surrogacy-30081
- Sonia Allan 'Gammy case highlights risks of for-profit surrogacy market', The Age 5 August 2014 at http://www.theage.com.au/comment/gammy-case-highlights-risks-of-forprofit-surrogacy-market-20140804-1003fr.html
- Sonia Allan 'Baby Gammy needs our support. So do women coerced into surrogacy' The Guardian 5 August 2014, at www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/05/baby-gammy-needs-our-support-so-do-women-coerced-into-surrogacy?view=desktop
- Sonia Allan, 'Surrogate Mother Cares for Baby Abandoned Because of Down Syndrome', Biopolitical Times 4 August 2014, at http://www.biopoliticaltimes.org/article.php?id=7953
- Sonia Allan, The Conversation, 'Not for Profit: The Case against Commercial Surrogacy', 29 October 2013, at http://theconversation.com/not-for-profit-the-case-against-commercial-surrogacy-18512
- Sonia Allan, 'Let's Retrospectively Release Information to Australia's Donor-Conceived', (2011) BioNews, at http://www.bionews.org.uk/page_104517.asp?dinfo=OnAK9VnLdueWN8BhhOmjQINP
- Sonia Allan, A Cross-Jurisdictional Study of Regulatory Requirements and Practice Regarding the Recording of Donor Information and its Release to Donor Conceived People 2012 Report prepared for the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust.
Victorian Law Reform Commission Papers (Published)
- Primary Author, VLRC Position Paper 1: Access to Assisted Reproductive Technology (May 2005).
- Co Author, VLRC Position Paper 2: Legal Parentage (July 2005).
- Primary Author, VLRC Position Paper 3: Surrogacy (Nov 2005).
(Nb. The views/recommendations expressed in the VLRC position papers were those of the commission and not necessarily those of the author(s)).
Victorian Law Reform Commission Papers (unpublished)
- Briefing papers on access to assisted reproductive technology; legal parentage issues concerning ART; surrogacy - issues concerning eligibility, legal parentage and payment; anticipating technological change in deciding upon regulatory models.
- Numerous documents prepared to inform VLRC Commissioners about issues concerning assisted reproductive technology and its regulation in Victoria.
- Papers for public consultations and forums.
- Internal documents and advice regarding issues that arose in relation to the reference.
- S. Allan, 'Information Release to Donor-Conceived People, Contracts for Anonymity, Laws, and Guidelines’, 2015 National Conference for Donor-Conceived People, 27 June 2015, Victoria, Australia.
- S. Allan, ‘International Surrogacy Arrangements, Issues and Regulatory Responses at Home and Abroad’, 24th Annual Medico-Legal Conference, Sydney Australia, March 2015.
- S. Allan, ‘Introduction to Public International Law: Human Rights and Global Surrogacy’, presented at the International Institute of Social Studies in The Hague Forum on International Adoption and Global Surrogacy, 11-13 August, 2014.
- S. Allan, 'The Argument Against Payment of Fees for Gametes, Embryos and Surrogacy', Annual Louise Waller Lecture, Victorian Assisted Reproductive Authority, 31 October 2013 (Invited speaker)
- S. Allan, 'The Surrogate in Surrogacy: Exploitation, Reproductive and Contractual Autonomy' Global Health and The Law Conference: Incorporating Theory into Law, Sydney University (1 October 2013).
- S. Allan, Andrea Braveman, Sonia Suter, Steven Poole, Susan Crockin - O'Neil Institute and Georgetown University Law Center, Panel Presentation Family Building with Donor Gametes (17 April 2013).
- S. Allan, Andrea Braveman, Naomi Cahn, Susan Crockin - O'Neil Institute and Georgetown University Law Center, Panel Presentation on current issues regarding information release to donor conceived people about their donors (March 2012).
- S. Allan, 'Donor Conception Practices in Australia: Current legislation and Recommendations from the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee' 4 December 2011, 14th World Congress on Human Reproduction, ANZICA, VARTA and the Donor Conception Support Group, Donor Linking Symposium.
- S. Allan, 'The Release of Identifying and Non-Identifying Information about Donors to Donor Conceived Individuals' 2010, (E-poster presentation, Fertility Society of Australia 2010 Conference, Adelaide Convention Centre, 10 -13 October 2010).
- S. Allan, 'The Regulation of Research Involving Human Embryos and Cloning' (paper presented at the inaugural annual conference of the Australasian Association of Bioethics and Health Law, Adelaide University, July 2010).
- S. Magri, 'From Social Issues to State Regulation: An Historical Overview of Australian and New Zealand Responses to Assisted Reproduction' (paper presented at Annual Scientific Meeting of Australian Birth Defects Society/Symposium on Embryo, Fetus and Newborn: From Experiment to Clinical Practice and Prevention in the Antipodes, Royal Children`s Hospital, Melbourne, 29-31 April 2005).
- L. Skene and S. Magri, 'Towards a Consensus on Cloning and Stem Cell Research: Ethics and Public Policy' (presented at Stem Cell Ethics Australia, Conference November 2004, Murdoch Children's Research Institute).
- L. Skene and S. Magri, 'Stem Cells and Public Policy, The Difficulty of Legislating in a Changing Environment' (paper presented at 7th World Congress of Bioethics, Sydney, 10 Nov 2004., Sydney, Australia, 10 November 2004).
- [First National Stem Cell Conference - 2003 - I was invited to sit on panel of experts to discuss Guidelines for stem cell research & their therapeutic Applications. (CHAIR - Dr Christine Mummery; Other members: Professor Alan Trounson, National Stem Cell Centre, Arch Bishop Peter Carnley, Primate, Anglican Church of Australia; Clive Morris, NHMRC; Ben Canny, Co-Chair of the Standing Committee for Ethics in Research Involving Humans, Monash University].
- The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Social Policy and Legal Affairs Roundtable on Surrogacy, Federal Parliament House, 05 March 2015 (by invitation).
- New South Wales Law and Safety Committee Inquiry into Management of Information Relating to Donor Conception 2013 (by invitation).
- New South Wales Law and Safety Committee Inquiry into Donor Information on the Birth Registry 2012 (by invitation).
- Victorian Law Reform Committee inquiry into the release of information about donors to donor conceived people, 21 November 2011
- Senate Committee Inquiry into Donor Conception Access to Genetic Information and Donor Identification, 3 November 2010
- South Australian Social Development Committee Inquiry into Same-Sex Parenting, 2010 - the submissions and appearances for this inquiry, along with the work of dedicated politicians and lobby groups led to changes in the South Australian law on same-sex parenting (by invitation).
Parliamentary Submissions (and submissions to other Inquiries)
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the House of Representatives Constitutional Affairs Committee Inquiry On Surrogacy, February 2016.
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the NHMRC Committee Review of Part B of the Ethical Guidelines on the Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology in Clinical Practice and Research, 2007, September 2015.
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the Donor Conception Register Consultation (South Australia) SA Health, Policy and Legislation Unit, March 2014.
- Sonia Allan, Submission to NSW Review of Surrogacy Act 2010 (NSW), April 2014.
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the NHMRC Committee Review of Part B of the Ethical Guidelines on the Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology in Clinical Practice and Research, 2007, April 2014.
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the Donor Conception Register Consultation (South Australia) SA Health, Policy and Legislation Unit, March 2014.
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the Hague Permanent Bureau consultation regarding the development of an International Convention on International Surrogacy (2013).
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the New South Wales Law and Safety Committee Inquiry into Managing Information Related to Donor Conception (2013) (by invitation).
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the Family Law Council inquiry into Surrogacy (legal parentage and related matters), August 2013, (by invitation).
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the evidence call held by the Nuffield Council on Bioethics on Donor conception: ethical aspects of information sharing between 21 March 2012 and 15 May 2012.
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the New South Wales Law and Safety Committee Inquiry into Donor information on the Birth Registry(2011) (by invitation).
- Sonia Allan, Submission Number 2 to the Victorian Parliament Law Reform Committee Inquiry into Donor Conceived Individuals Access to Information about Donors (2011).
- Sonia Allan, Public Submission to the Prohibition of Human Cloning for Reproduction and Research Involving Human Embryos Act 2006 (the amending Acts) Review Committee (2011).
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the Victorian Parliament Law Reform Committee Inquiry into Donor Conceived Individuals Access to Information about Donors (2010).
- Sonia Allan, Submission to the Senate Committee Inquiry into Donor Conception, Access to Genetic Information and Donor Identification (2010).
- Sonia Allan and John Williams, Submission to the South Australian Social Development Committee Inquiry into Same-Sex Parenting (2010).
- Sonia Allan and Michael Williams, Assisted Reproductive Technology: Access to Genetic Information and Donor Identification, Proposal for a Federal Register for Donor Conceived Individuals (Submission to the Commonwealth Attorney General, 2007).
- Cosima Marriner, Embryo Donor Mum upset by Claims of Lost Pregnancy, 3 April 2016, Sydney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/national/embryo-donor-mum-upset-by-claims-of-lost-pregnancy-20160401-gnwl99.html
- Kerrie Armstrong, Concerns over all-expenses-paid egg donors coming from South Africa to Australia SBS News, 09 February 2016. http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/02/09/concerns-over-all-expenses-paid-egg-donors-coming-australia?cid=cxenseab_b&cx_navSource=related-side-cx#cxrecs_s
- ‘Who made me?’ - Life Matters - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation), 9 December 2015, producer Lindy Reine, presenter Natasha Mitchell, interview regarding information release and donor conception.
- Jesse Longbottom, ABC 7.30 Report, interview regarding ‘Sperm Donation: Children may win the Right to Know their Biological Fathers’, 27 November 2015.
- Kelly Higgins-Devine, ABC Radio Brisbane, interview regarding donor conception and access to information, aired 25 February 2015.
- SBS News, interview on Thai laws concerning commercial surrogacy, aired on 21 February 2015
- Sarah Dingle, 'Father Unknown: SA Man Conceived Using Donor Sperm Applies to Have His Birth Certificate Changed', ABC The World Today, 4 September 2014, http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2014/s4080863.htm
- Quoted by Karl Wilson, 'Rent a Womb', China Daily Asia, 22 August 2014,http://www.chinadailyasia.com/asiaweekly/2014-08/22/content_15158554_2.html
- ABC Fact file: What legal rights do the growing number of children born to surrogate mothers overseas have in Australia? 20 August 2014, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-19/rights-of-surrogate-children-born-overseas/5654602
- Belinda Hawkins, 'Sydney Hospital Launches Internal Investigation after Patient Records Altered', ABC AM with Chris Uhlman, 19 August 2014 http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2014/s4069056.htm
- Sonia Allan interviewed by Belinda Hawkins, 'Breaking the Code: Donor Conceived Children Search for the Identity of Fathers, and their Biological Heritage', ABC News, 18 August 2014, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-18/code-breaking3a-abc-journalist-sarah-dingle/5676544
- Australian Story, ABC, 'Searching for C11' - story on Lauren Burns a donor-conceived person, aired 11 and 18 August 2014. (Interviewed regarding legal aspects of 'consent forms' aka 'contracts' for anonymity, and legal issues surrounding donor conception). Part 1: http://www.abc.net.au/austory/specials/searchingforcelevenpartone/default.htm; Part 2:http://www.abc.net.au/austory/specials/searchingforcelevenparttwo/default.htm
- Belinda Hawkins, 'Sperm donor-conceived woman planning next step in six-year fight to secure identification rights and learn identity of father' 13 Aug 2014 ABC News http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-11/engineer-continues-fight-for-rights-of-donor-conceived-children/5661090
- Sarah Dingle, Farnell wanted a refund on hearing baby gammy had Down Syndrome, ABC News, 11 August 2014http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-11/farnells-wanted-a-refund-on-hearing-gammy-had-down/5661856
- Deborah Snow and Lindsay Murdoch, Gammy Case Fires Up Debate on Bigger Issues, The Sydney Morning Herald, 9 August 2014 http://www.smh.com.au/national/gammy-surrogacy-case-fires-up-debate-on-bigger-issues-20140808-101ukq.html
- Caroline Lafargue, 'Après Gammy, c'est le sort de sa jumelle qui inquiète les Australiens', French ABC Radio Australia, 6 August 2014 http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/french/2014-08-06/apr%C3%A8s-gammy-cest-le-sort-de-sa-jumelle-qui-inqui%C3%A8te-les-australiens/1353378
- ABC News Radio, 10.45am Western Australia, live to air interview with Sonia Allan, 05 August 2014
- Interviewed by ABC News, Sarah Dingle, Implications and laws regarding Baby Gammy Case, 5 August 2014 (to air 6th August 2014)
- BBC, World Service, UK, Interview with Rebecca Kesby, regarding baby Gammy in Thailand, separated from twin and left with surrogate mother by commissioning persons/genetic parents due to his having down syndrome, 01 August 2014.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002vsnk, August 1 2014
- The Project (Chanel 10) segment on commercial surrogacy, aired Tuesday 10 June 2014
- SBS Insight, 'Sperm Donation', aired Tuesday 22 October, 2013, transcript and episode available athttp://www.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/watchonline/583/Sperm-Donation
- Sarah Elks and Sean Parnell 'Miracle or medical negligence?' The Australian, October 12, 2013 (Commentary on wrongful birth claim regarding IVF triplets), http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/miracle-or-medical-negligence/story-e6frg6z6-1226738601481
- Churchill Trust, Speech: Sonia Allan Churchill Medallion Dinner, Published 1 July 2013, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UefF4anilS8
- 6 Minutes, Interview, 'Donor information goes far beyond access to medical records', 10 May, 2013
- Deb Anderson, 'Should people conceived through sperm donations have access to donor information?' The Age, 1 May 2012,http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/should--people-conceived-through-sperm-donations-have-access-to-donor-information-20120430-1xuqa.html#ixzz2qWFoLGRC
- Adrian Bernecich, 'Bid to end IVF's legal minefield' The Leader, 27 July 2011
- Deakin Research Communications, Sonia Allan 'Sperm donation is not 'just like giving blood', Mon, 18 Jul 2011, http://www.deakin.edu.au/research/stories/2011/07/18/sperm-donation-is-not-just-like-giving-blood
- Miles Kemp, 'Donors shrinking the gene pool', The Advertiser, 17 December 2010,http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/shrinking-the-gene-pool/story-fn3hnz4e-1225972449441
Independent Consultant to the Minister of Health, South Australia 2016 - to lead an Independent Review of the operation and effectiveness of the Assisted Reproductive Treatment Act 1988 (SA) in light of legislative changes made to it in 2010. See http://yoursay.sa.gov.au/decisions/yoursay-engagements-review-of-the-assisted-reproductive-treatment-act-1988/about
Grants, Scholarships and Awards
- 2014: AMP Tomorrow Fund Grant Recipient (to establish community health law resource - Health Law Central website)
- 2014: Macquarie University Faculty Travel Scheme - Competitive Research Funds
- 2012: CALI Award: Georgetown University Law Center Washington D.C.: Best performance in Health and Human Rights Law.
- 2012: Recognition for Outstanding Contribution to Pro Bono Work - Georgetown University
- 2011: Churchill Fellow $25,000 to undertake a cross-jurisdictional study on regulatory aspects of collecting and releasing information about donors to donor conceived people. Study conducted in the United Kingdom, Austria, The Netherlands, Sweden, and Finland.
- 2011-2012: Global Health Law Fellow, Georgetown University, Washington D.C., Global Health Law Fellowship, for LLM in Global Health Law and award of the title 'Global Health Law Fellow' as recognition of academic achievement, professional experience & potential for excellence in global health law
- 2011: Outside Studies Program Award, Deakin University. $16000 grant to enhance professional development and improve research potential by working in a sustained manner with leading academics and professionals at other institutions. Leave granted to travel to United States and Europe to complete Global Health Law Fellowship and Churchill Fellowship.
- 2011: Competitive Research Funding, Deakin University, School of Law, March 2011, competitive research funding used for research assistance to complete publication.
- 2010-2013: Sydney University School of Public Health: Tuition scholarship for Master of Public Health, competitive funding.
- 2005: Melbourne Abroad Travelling Scholarship. Competitive funding for overseas research conducted in the United Kingdom regarding research involving human embryos in which all UK license holders were interviewed for PhD research.
- 2003-2009: Melbourne Research Scholarship: Full PhD funding and living stipend for duration of degree (Approximate value $120,000).
- 2000: Winner of the Faculty of Law & Mallesons Stephens Jaques Mooting Competition.
- Australian Association of Bioethics and Health Law
- Centre for Applied Values and Ethics, Macquarie University
- Biotechnology, Ethics & Law Society