Professor of Neuroscience
Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Professor Phillips is a neurophysiologist. She trained initially as a veterinarian, and after a number of years in small animal private practice, went on to do a PhD in medical research. She came to Macquarie University and the then Australian School of Advanced Medicine in 2009.
Her research examines the complex relationship between the brain and the cardiovascular system, and how they act together as drivers of high blood pressure in kidney disease. Much of her work focuses aroun da condition called polycystic kidney disease. Multiple approaches are used in the laboratory including molecular techniques, immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy, and measurement of physiological parameters such as nerve activity, blood pressure and heart rate. The goal of her work is to improve the quality of life for suffers of kidney disease by reducing their risk of high blood pressure, heart attack and stroke.
BVsc (Hons), PhD
- Autonomic reflex control of the heart and vasculature in hypertension and chronic kidney disease
- Structural and functional abnormalities arising from mutations in PKD genes
- Sympathetic and sensory mechanisms driving conditions of chronic pain.
- Factors contributing to depression and suicide risk in Veterinarians.
- Differential contribution of afferent and central pathways to the development of baroreflex dysfunction in chronic kidney disease. Salman IM, Hildreth CM, Ameer OZ, Phillips JK. Hypertension. 2014 Apr;63(4):804-10. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.113.02110.
- Direct conscious telemetry recordings demonstrate increased renal sympathetic nerve activity in rats with chronic kidney disease. Salman IM, Sarma Kandukuri D, Harrison JL, Hildreth CM, Phillips JK. Front Physiol. 2015 Aug 4;6:218. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2015.00218
- Protective cardiorenal effects of spironolactone in a rodent model of polycystic kidney disease. Jeewandara TM, Ameer OZ, Boyd R, Wyse BF, Underwood CF, Phillips JK. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2015 Apr;42(4):353-60. doi: 10.1111/1440-1681.12372.
- Upregulation of α1-adrenoceptors on cutaneous nerve fibres after partial sciatic nerve ligation and in complex regional pain syndrome type II. Drummond PD, Drummond ES, Dawson LF, Mitchell V, Finch PM, Vaughan CW, Phillips JK. Pain. 2014 Mar;155(3):606-16. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2013.12.021
- Trait perfectionism strengthens the negative effects of moral stressors occurring in veterinary practice. Crane MF, Phillips JK, Karin E. Aust Vet J. 2015 Oct;93(10):354-60. doi: 10.1111/avj.12366.
- 2015: Perpetual (Hillcrest Foundation) (CIA) How kidney disease rewires the brain to reduce heart health
- 2012 – 2014: NHMRC Project Grant (CIA). Reduced Baroreceptor Reflex Control Of Heart Rate In Chronic Renal Failure
- 2012 – 2014: NHMRC Project Grant (CIA) Vascular And Neurogenic Determinants Of Hypertension In Chronic Kidney Disease